Binge eater trying to recover

Options
Hey guys, please no nasty comments but for years I have been an emotional eater and binge eater. Im not sure what sort of metabolism i have bit i can put away a LOT of calories and i still dont gain no more than about 4 or 5 pounds. Im 5"11 and 250lbs and recently started eating lower calories to help shed some pounds but i am finding that i stay hungry a LOT. Its near torture. Yes im drinking Lots of water..LOTS i just always have this addiction pulling me to over eat and binge eat. Dont really have funds to see an addiction doc but am really trying to "help myself". Any ideas and tips? How can i stay away from the binge eating and sugar??? Thanks in Advance.

Replies

• kmitchall
    kmitchall Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Also a type 1 diabetic. Like i know WHAT to eat...but actually doing it is tuff.
  • dawgfanfer
    dawgfanfer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. My hunger pangs strike in the evening. So what helps me is getting moving. I go outside for a brisk walk. Nothing major, just a quick 10-15 minutes around the block to get my heart rate up. I leave my house so hungry I could eat a fat lady's rear end through a park bench. Ten minutes later I return home, have some water and get into something I enjoy (a book, a TV show, a bath, a glass of wine, etc.) anything to keep the distraction going. At this point I can honestly TURN DOWN food. If you are like me, you won't be happy with this response, I am often lazy at the end of my day and getting moving takes a bit of self pep talk, but the method is tried and true. My husband is a "grazer" and there are often chips, crackers, chocolates, you name it, at my reach. After my walk, I'm no longer in the mood to eat anything. I hope this helps you.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Protein really helps me. Especially in the am. How much daily protein do you get? Maybe you are not allowing yourself enough daily calories?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Look at Breaking Free from Emotional Eating –
    by Geneen Roth
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I try to eat 75- 100 grams of Fat and 150 grams of Protein everyday works for me down over 100lbs. honestly its a mental choice you have to make.. "Just do it" sounds corny but it couldn't be more true..
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Logging the food BEFORE I consume it has helped me stop it. Logging before allows me to see the exact damage I'm doing to my goals. One binge can wipe out 6 days of eating at goal. It doesn't help if I log after as I just beat myself up about it. I still log it though. I deny that I did it in my mind if I don't log it. Denying absolutely doesn't help me.

I track the episodes. They happen much more often on the days that I don't intentionally walk for exercise. I have been trying to replace eating emotionally with walking "emotionally". Sometimes 1,000 steps will wipe out the feeling of wanting to stuff food in me. Also, if I start thinking that I need to walk instead of eating, I can sometimes work my way out of it because I really don't want to have to do anything but just deal with the emotions. Recognizing what is putting me in a place that is making me uncomfortable emotionally.

I think it's a process. Definitely not something that can be cured overnight.
  • kmitchall
    Options
    Thank you guys, all great replies and suggestions. I think for me I am just going to have to keep getting back up when I do fall down. That seems to be the hardest part for me. I mess up after so much dedication and it makes me want to just throw in the towel!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What works for me.. nothing is off limit. If I *really* want it, I work it in my calories. The key is to be actually satisfied with my meals, so I'm happier and less likely to look for satisfaction in junk food. So I plan my meals around the food I've been craving, look for healthier options (but it has to be close enough to be satisfying!), or if it's higher calories, I make sure to have it at lunch, so I'm less likely to be hungry later. Sure, sometimes it means delaying a specific food for a few weeks until I actually have enough calories for it, but I know I will have it eventually... and sometimes by then the craving is gone anyway.

But I'm more likely to binge when I'm not satisfied - for example, if I'm craving sugar cookies, but there are only chocolate chip cookies available, I'm more likely to eat more of the chocolate chip cookies because they don't satisfy me... so I'm better off not eating any or going to the store to buy a sugar cookie.

Then yeah... focusing on fat and protein. I can't have bread for breakfast then a sandwich at lunch, for example. I need to limit 'empty (=not filling)' calories to 200/300 a day, or I get hungry.

So that's my advice... Eat foods you really want, and not pizza just because it's there, and try to stay full by making better choices overall. And don't pick a crazy goal - I never did more than 1 pound a week.
  • Aisle4
    Aisle4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do any of you restrict sugar grams coming from any food regularly to help curb binging
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater and sugar addict as well but I find that I can't work treats into my day. Unfortunately, I can't eat just 2 Oreos, cookies, etc. Once I have a bit of sugar, I'm like a drug addict looking for more so I'd rather not get into the habit of eating any

In regards to being hungry, eat often every couple of hours and up your protein.

I've had a rough year and gained quite a bit of weight back so I'm starting over. When I was at my lowest and successful, I was only allowing myself a sweet treat on a truly special occasion. Also start thinking about food as fuel for your workouts and not for pleasure. It's so hard though!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Aisle4 wrote: »
    Do any of you restrict sugar grams coming from any food regularly to help curb binging

I wouldn't say I restrict sugar but I do eat a more protein based diet so the sugar just isn't something that is in my food. My best friend (beachbody coach) talked me into a sugar detox when I looked at my diet I was already in a permanent life style detox. I did stop milk and my super low cal bread for that 21 days but that was about it.

• coachrebecca
    coachrebecca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BED binge eating disorder isn't a problem with food but rather with histories, hurts and toxic relationships. I would direct you to FREE recovery programs like overeat erst anonymous or FAA food addicts anonymous
  • kmitchall
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeh, Im like meridith up there. Once I eat a bit of something sugary I am eating the whole pack. I have been trying to abstain and stay away from the sugars altogether but unfortunaly with a family of 5, I cant keep it out of the house. It sucks. AND im type 1 diabetic
  • kmitchall
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Look at Breaking Free from Emotional Eating –
    by Geneen Roth
    thank you I will

• WeaselbeanzMum
    WeaselbeanzMum Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just as a suggestion, but it may be worth keeping a stash of high satiety food on hand (for example: nuts, tuna, cooked chicken breasts... there are many others) - if you feel you need a snack go there first, then give it 20 mins for them to kick in. It's a diversionary tactic, but you may find once you've done that your craving has passed.

Personal experience on that one - it works for me and I too could do whole-pack-eater perfectly happily. Being realistic though, what works for one does not always suit another though, so it really is just an idea :smile:
  • annalobdell
    annalobdell Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I took have a binge eating disorder and it is literally killing me. I know I shouldn't do it cause it causes weight gain which causes issues like diabetes, hbp and heart issues but I just cant stop. It is worst at night for me. I don't sleep well at night so that is when I binge. I do so well during the day but every night I ruin all my hard work.
  • kmitchall
    Options
    That is an excellent idea and one that I will certainly begin to incorporate!
    Just as a suggestion, but it may be worth keeping a stash of high satiety food on hand (for example: nuts, tuna, cooked chicken breasts... there are many others) - if you feel you need a snack go there first, then give it 20 mins for them to kick in. It's a diversionary tactic, but you may find once you've done that your craving has passed.

Personal experience on that one - it works for me and I too could do whole-pack-eater perfectly happily. Being realistic though, what works for one does not always suit another though, so it really is just an idea :smile:

• kmitchall
    Options
    I took have a binge eating disorder and it is literally killing me. I know I shouldn't do it cause it causes weight gain which causes issues like diabetes, hbp and heart issues but I just cant stop. It is worst at night for me. I don't sleep well at night so that is when I binge. I do so well during the day but every night I ruin all my hard work.

It is really tuff. There is always this crossroads for me to where I KNOW I want to stop, but I cant. so im in this place now where I just have to find a way to burn all those extra cals during the day. I know that's not a healthy reality or way to deal with it but in reality I have to just be honest with myself and I know myself. Lately though I have found some success with when I am having a craving I go for a walk or I do some pushups. im a type 1 diabetic so its def not good for me to eat half that pecan pie that I did earlier :-/
  • planetelizabeth
    planetelizabeth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look into Overeaters Anonymous or Food Addicts Anonymous. Twelve Step programs work to look beyond the food and to get clean from binge foods. Plus you get support when you really need it from people just like you! oa.org or http://www.foodaddictsanonymous.org/
  • kmitchall
    Options
    Look into Overeaters Anonymous or Food Addicts Anonymous. Twelve Step programs work to look beyond the food and to get clean from binge foods. Plus you get support when you really need it from people just like you! oa.org or http://www.foodaddictsanonymous.org/

Thank you, I did. I actually joined an email group and have already began discussion!