How to cope with sugar/bad food withdrawal symptoms?

Options
Can anybody please give me some advice for overcoming withdrawal symptoms? Every time I try to eat healthy, I end up pigging out around dinner time because I get so shaky, bad headaches and I get so emotional :( my life is this never ending cycle of trying to eat healthy and failing and I'm just starting to get so depressed and I feel like I'm never going to succeed :(

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Have you talked tonyour doctor about these withdraw symptoms?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Eat what you always eat just less of it. You don't have to give up anything to lose weight, you just have to eat less calories than you burn.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    What did you eat before, compared to what you eat when you eat healthy? The issues you could be experiencing could be related to caffeine withdrawal (if you drank a lot of soda before), undereating (causing you to overeat at dinner), or low blood sugar. It could also be the result of cutting back on your carb intake when you changed up your diet.

Sometimes just figuring out an eating schedule and making sure you have a balance of macros (carbs, fat, and protein) that work for you.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I think before anybody can give you sound advice it would be helpful to know how many calories that you are eating. Maybe your calorie goals are too low. Maybe try eating a little more during the day so that you aren't starving at the end of the day.

Picking lower calorie foods will give you a larger quantity of food to eat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I think before anybody can give you sound advice it would be helpful to know how many calories that you are eating. Maybe your calorie goals are too low. Maybe try eating a little more during the day so that you aren't starving at the end of the day.

Picking lower calorie foods will give you a larger quantity of food to eat.

I like this advice. How much are you eating? What are your height, weight, age, and activity level? What foods are you eating? Specifically, are you eating much protein, which is filling?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Have some fruit!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    These symptoms are extreme and not normal when cutting calories in a healthy way

So can you walk us through your stats and your general day intake including calorie goal
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    These symptoms are extreme and not normal when cutting calories in a healthy way

So can you walk us through your stats and your general day intake including calorie goal

Listen to her, she always has great advice.

I think the problem is that you're not eating enough and have a deficit too large. Pick a reasonable goal and eat a balanced diet.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If you're getting withdrawal symptoms then maybe you're over restricting? You don't have to eliminate anything from your diet to lose weight, you can eat the same things you did before just in smaller quantities.

If you end up pigging out, maybe your calorie goal is too low? Or maybe you need to spread your calories out throughout the day differently? If you're finding that you're hungry by dinner time and end up pigging out, maybe try eating bigger lunches, or having a snack between lunch and dinner? Getting shaky and having headaches is sometimes a sign of undereating, so your calorie goal may be too low.

Either way, it may be worth talking to a doctor about this. If you're not feeling great but are eating enough, there may be an underlying issue.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to say what is going on without more information as others have said above. Age, height, weight, daily activity, and your current calorie goal would all be helpful.

Without that information I would echo what has been said, you don't have to abandon all the food you like, just eat less of it and log it so you know you are eating the calories you are supposed to.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Listen to her, she always has great advice.

I think the problem is that you're not eating enough and have a deficit too large. Pick a reasonable goal and eat a balanced diet.

Awwww shucks...thanks @franci27 ..I'm just trying to pay it back
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict anything from your diet, just watch more when and how you eat. Be aware of the calories in vs calories out.
    Also, if you feel shaky and bad every evening your body might be missing nutrients, and not sugar or junk food.
  • misstruckerjane
    misstruckerjane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have difficulty eating vegetables, and fats. Due to health issues, but the app says smoothies have too many carbs. Recommend?
  • killianspapa
    killianspapa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Start small, restricting to many calories at once can leave you drained and weak. Eat your most carb filled meals before workouts. Stick with lots of protein fruits and veggies the rest of the time. Find out how many calories you can cut back a day before you start feeling weak and stay there. Also coffee curbs hunger pangs like miracle juice lol hope you achieve all you set out to. Best of luck.
  • killianspapa
    killianspapa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also let yourself have a cheat day on weekend. You gotta reward yourself a little.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    shantal_96 wrote: »
    Can anybody please give me some advice for overcoming withdrawal symptoms? Every time I try to eat healthy, I end up pigging out around dinner time because I get so shaky, bad headaches and I get so emotional :( my life is this never ending cycle of trying to eat healthy and failing and I'm just starting to get so depressed and I feel like I'm never going to succeed :(

Is it a withdrawal or something else?
    Set a reasonable goal.
    Get enough calories. Eat the amount MFP tells you based on your stats and activity level. Eat a portion of the calories you earn from exercise.
    Don't try to cut out all the food you like. Food has nutrients. Healthy is a vague term. Unless you have a medical problem, are allergic or it has spoiled food is not unhealthy. Some food has more of some nutrients than others. Think about what your body needs and supply it.
    Eat enough protein. Your body needs some fats so don't go super low fat. Eat several servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Try whole grains. Drink some water.
    If you eat a diet very high in sugar or caffeine and want to reduce that amount then you might want to make the dietary change more gradually.
    See a doctor, registered dietitian, therapist for more help.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    What did you eat before, compared to what you eat when you eat healthy? The issues you could be experiencing could be related to caffeine withdrawal (if you drank a lot of soda before), undereating (causing you to overeat at dinner), or low blood sugar. It could also be the result of cutting back on your carb intake when you changed up your diet.

Sometimes just figuring out an eating schedule and making sure you have a balance of macros (carbs, fat, and protein) that work for you.

@shantal_96 it's likely one of these ^ things, but we need more details from you in order to help.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I have difficulty eating vegetables, and fats. Due to health issues, but the app says smoothies have too many carbs. Recommend?

I'm confused by your question but suggest you start your own thread with this question so it doesn't get lost in this thread.

In the new thread, please expand on the problem you have with vegetables and fats. Is it all vegetables? Certain quantities of fats? Also set your Diary Sharing settings to Public so we can see what's in your smoothies. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You have some great advice in this thread.

From my personal experience (sample of one, I know) the three things that used to cause me this kind of symptoms were:
    - eating too little at the previous meal (s)
    - Going too long between meals
    - Not having enough protein and fat with my previous meal, just carbs (that includes fruit too)

The last one was by far the biggest culprit in my case, so making sure I got a good source of protein at every single meal, snacks included, helped me.

But as everyone has said, it might be different for you:
    - Your calorie goal might be too low ( a goal of losing 2 lbs a week is way too agressive for the majority of people)
    - you might be eating simply too little (for you) during the day in order to save up for dinner
    - it might have been too long since your last meal
    - you may have cut down drastically on caffeine without even knowing it
    - you might have undiagnosed and untreated thyroid issues (same symptoms)
    - it migh even be a mild panick attack (same symptoms but usually more severe).

Do you recognise any of those? Do your symptoms go away after you've eaten?

Relax, watch your symptoms and make controlled changes to see what helps them, make sure your deficit is reasonable and your nutrition is good - too many people equate eating "healthy" with some particular fad without a care for their macros. Don't ignore the possibility of a thyroid problem, if nothing helps aleviate the symptoms then get some tests taken.

This got too long - I am sure if you provide more info, then some of the veterans on here will give you more sound and specific advice. Don't get discouraged, just work the issue!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Definitely try having something you normally like to eat, but make sure the calories match your daily calorie goals. Don't try to force "healthy foods" into your diet if it makes you totally pooped and headache-y before dinner, etc. :/