Running pace: how did you improve and how quickly?

Options
Hi all,

I've entered the world of triathlons! I'm a former competitive swimmer so my swimming is good and for some reason my cycling is good too. My running? Not so much. I ran my first half-marathon in June but I'm a trudger at most distances. For the triathlons I'm targeting, I have a good shot of finishing first in my category based on my times but it would be a much more comfortable finish if I could run faster.

For the first 'early bird' spring triathlon I'm targeting, the race ends with a 5k. I've only ever raced once in a 5k and did about 33 minutes (it wasn't timed). The other competitors in this triathlon will run it in about 27 minutes. Ideally I'd like to get my running pace to about that (5:24/km) but right now I view that as sprinting and could never hold that for 5k! My current pace is about 7:30/km. The main triathlon in summer I'm targeting culminates in a 15km run.

For others that have been in this position, how did you improve your pace and what worked best for you? (Since I'm training for a tri, I have limited time available to do the typical sessions of a long run, speed session, hill training, etc. because I have other sports that need doing too). What pace did you start at, what did it finish at and how long did it take you to get there? When you're training, what kind of % effort to do you feel you're sustaining?

Thanks!
Cat

Replies

• L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Like any kind of endurance training each session will be different. If running is a big weak spot you'll probably want to focus a little more on running than the other two sports.

Beyond that, its more or less about the usual training suspects. Tempo/Threshold runs at around hour race pace for 20-25min, or breaking those up into say 6x5 min w/1 min recovery; pace work on the track at 5k/3k pace, and some solid aerobic work with occasional longer runs and progression runs. As a newer runner, there are lots of easy gains to pick off and the exact specifics aren't as important.

If you get out there and up your running, throwing in 2, possibly working up to 3, stronger sessions a week you're going to improve tremendously.

And then of course depending on where you are, any fat weight you have to lose helps. At those speeds each lb of fat (not muscle) you can shed is going to save you 10-15s of time over a 5k.
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Since you already have some distance running under your belt, I would suggest you start by incorporating striders into the end of some of your runs (http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/how-to-run-striders). You would probably also benefit from tempo/threshold runs, I'd suggest starting out with one run a week where you do 500-1000 meters at around your 10K pace 1-2 times. As with all speedwork, be careful, you'll run faster if you're not injured :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @catpea33 How to run faster? Run More kilometers, more kilometers and then a few more. You need a good base to build speed. Personally I found that my base 5 km pace improved when I started to do 10 km at least once a month.

Remember the dreaded Tempo/Threshold training sprints in the pool? Well you will need to apply that same concept to running. You will hear the term Fartlek's thrown around by runners. Basically you through mini sprints into your Long runs. So once you have completed 1-2 km as a warm-up pick a landmark in front of you ( Street light, Corner in the trail etc ) and increase your tempo until you get to that point then drop back to your long distance run tempo to recover and then pick another landmark and repeat the up-tempo pace.

About every 2 weeks some of the Runners in our Local Running Club meet at the local High School Track and do warm-up of 4 laps easy then drop into our speed work sessions.
    4 x 1 lap hard, 2 laps easy recovery
    3 x 1 lap hard, 1 lap easy
    2 x 2 lap hard, 2 lap easy, then a 3-4 lap easy cool down.

Some do more, some do less. It all depends on how you feel that day. Make sure that you have adequate warm-up laps/km in as I have seen people strain calf/ham strings by hitting it to fast - to early.
    The Group runs are one of the best things I have done in terms of improving my speed and endurance so go find a local group. Ask at the Running Shoe/Sporting goods store, FB, Google search, ask runners you meet on the Trails.

Come join the Monthly-Running-Challenges and the January Running Challenge
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You're much fitter and more experienced than me by the sound of things, but for what's it worth, to drop my 5K time from 32 minutes to today's best of 26:42, it took two things:

- More miles. Training for my first half helped reduce my 5K times.
    - Interval training. I use the treadmill to program these in - 1 minute at 12kph, 2 minute jog at 8kph, repeat for about 20-25 minutes.

I also regularly participate in my local Parkrun, and I think this helps me as well. It may not be the most efficient route, but it's helped me to improve my 5K time by a similar margin to the one you are aiming for. Good luck with your triathlon.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    To race faster, you must train faster. Running long slow distance trains your body - to run long slow distances.

Do intervals two or three days a week. Run short bursts at a faster than race pace with short jogs in between. When your legs are burning and your form deteriorates, the session is over for the day.

Another form of intervals is to use a hill. Power up the hill, coast down, power up, etc
  • kjauthier
    kjauthier Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents. Base building will help for sure- but its definitely tempo/threshold sessions that will train your feet to turn over quicker and hence speed. Working on your core helps too, but being a swimmer that's probably not a problem. Im a triathlete as well and my swim stinks despite much training. Any pointers?
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    First time I hit 5k without stopping it took me 40 minutes. I'm now under 30 and what I did was keeping a good cadence (180 or higher) and training intervals and sprints. Also hills. I'm sure squatting helped a lot since when I started running it felt pretty easy. Try and download a metronome app on your phone and set it to the cadence you want or find a song that has a tempo of 90 or more. Most good runners run at 180 or higher cadence. Why this? Well, when you take fewer steps per minute, that means that your body mass is suspended in the air for a greater amount of time, and as a result causes a greater force to be applied when your body finally makes contact with the ground. This is more tiring and counter productive.

Another thing is over striding. If you over stride each time you strike ahead of your center of gravity you apply a brake. Aim to strike just bellow you and maintain a forward lean. Think of it as a continuous fall. This is easier on the body and thus easier to run.

Breathing rhythm is also important. Some keep a 2-2 breath (2 steps inhale/2 steps exhale). There have been some studies that say an uneven rhythm is better since you won't exhale on the same step every time and it tires you less (3 steps inhale/2 steps exhale), but it's important to have a rhythm.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    catpea33 wrote: »
    've only ever raced once in a 5k and did about 33 minutes (it wasn't timed). The other competitors in this triathlon will run it in about 27 minutes. Ideally I'd like to get my running pace to about that (5:24/km) but right now I view that as sprinting and could never hold that for 5k! My current pace is about 7:30/km.

Some useful advice upthread, but given where you are at the moment the best answer to getting your 5K time down from 33 minutes is more volume. Improvements from the speedwork will be dwarved by the gains you'll make from upping your volume. I recognise your point about training for the other disciplines, but in practice you're just fiddling at the edges if you don't have the base capacity.

You mentioned having run an HM, what was your time for that and what sort of training volume were you getting in?

My instinct is saying that you'd be best just getting an existing Triathlon plan and working with that, given that you're a complete novice focus on completing and fitting the four disciplines together, rather than anything else right now. Personally speaking if I brick together a 20-30km ride with a 5km run I'm getting a slightly faster run, so give it a try and see how it goes.