Eating when not hungry

ise311
ise311 Posts: 107 Member
Would you eat even though when you are not hungry just to meet at least min 1200 cal goal?

For example today, I don't feel hungry, eaten only 2 bananas and a coffee around noon. Went to jog 30 mins at 6pm. That's it the whole day that I consumed.

Obviously does not meet the minimum recommended 1200 cals. But should I just eat just to meet it? If I keep below 1200, is it forcing my body into starvation mode? I'm not sure about this.

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I do. And yes you need to eat more for health
  • ise311
    edited January 2016
    I do. And yes you need to eat more for health

Already 10.57pm at my place, feel bad if I go eat something heavy now lol.

Okay, just grabbed some instant oats and low-fat milk..
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Is this a daily issue?
  • ise311
    edited January 2016
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Is this a daily issue?
    No, it's not. But somehow there are days when I feel I'm not really hungry at all, especially if I'm just sitting at home in the weekends.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    If it is just a day every once in a while I wouldn't worry about it. You will probably make up for it the next day.

I have low days on occasion...just not that hungry. I look at my calories as a weekly total and I find that over the week I am fairly well on target.

You could also try adding on those days that you don't have an appetite more calorie dense foods such as peanut butter...cheese...etc...etc so that your getting a few more calories.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    My calorie goal is 1500 and most days I am more or less on the mark.
    I do have days every now and again when I only reach 800. I am just not hungry as a lot of my day I have eaten fruit and vegetables.

Try snacking on calorie dense foods.
    Nut butters are great (if you don't have an allergy).
    They can be added to smoothies or spread on fruit. I love peanut butter on apple.

Can you get Nakd bars or Eat Natural bars where you live?
  • ise311
    Chezzie84 wrote: »
    I do have days every now and again when I only reach 800. I am just not hungry as a lot of my day I have eaten fruit and vegetables.

They can be added to smoothies or spread on fruit. I love peanut butter on apple.

Not available here, never heard of Nakd bars or Eat Natural.

Calorie dense foods? I do have some dark-chocolate kit-kats lying around in my room now.

There are some days when I eat just 2 breads and plain biscuits for the day. I don't think it even reach 450-500 cals.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    ise311 wrote: »

Calorie dense foods? I do have some dark-chocolate kit-kats lying around in my room now.

There are some days when I eat just 2 breads and plain biscuits for the day. I don't think it even reach 450-500 cals.

based on your last statement, you should probably eat to at least 1200 - even if it is the kit-kats
  • Chezzie84

based on your last statement, you should probably eat to at least 1200 - even if it is the kit-kats

I agree with the above. Even if it's only for today.
    Calorie dense foods include avocado, nuts, cheese.

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    As a female you should never be under 1000 calories, especially if you do some exercise. If you get your body used to functioning without fuel it will store ANY food you eat, and it will store it in a form of visceral fat. As mentioned above, if you don't feel hungry eat calorie dense food like nuts or carbs, to get the calories with small amount of food.
  • ise311
    Noted on above advise, thank you. Will try to meet at least 1000 cals.

I don't have healthy calorie-dense foods like avocado, nuts, cheese around my home now. Just the "bad" ones available currently (chocolates, instant noodles). :/
  • Chezzie84
    edited January 2016

I don't have healthy calorie-dense foods like avocado, nuts, cheese around my home now. Just the "bad" ones available currently (chocolates, instant noodles). :/

My house is full of goodies at the moment. You don't have to cut them out. Just make them fit and by the sounds of it, you can do that at the moment.

My advise to you is just consume at least 1200cals on anything until you can go to a supermarket and stock up on more nutritional items.

Maybe you should seek the help of a dietitian.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

I eat chocolate everyday. Granted it's only a small % of my daily calories.

Look for foods to meet nutritional goals.....especially protein and fat. You can't be meeting protein needs with bananas & oatmeal 1 day or just bread and plain biscuits the next.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member
    My take on this is that for most people who have the problem of being overweight is that they have an issue with understanding hunger cues properly so they eat too much. However, to think that suddenly when they start eating at an appropriate calorie level that their misunderstanding of hunger cues is suddenly cured would be foolish. It takes time to re-learn, and part of this not feeling hungry for many people is that their disordered processing of hunger cues is continuing. To simply say, only eat when you are hungry short circuits the process of re-learning proper hunger cue interpretation. For some, like myself, re-learning seems to be impossible. If I don't count, I either eat too little, then eventually, too much and put the weight on. For me, counting calories will likely be something for the rest of my life, and whether I am hungry or not, I will eat to my calorie goal because I know it is still less than my maintenance and I don't need to get into the habit of eating too little, only to then swing the other way again.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member

Quit being concerned about bad or good.
    Eat the chocolates and instant noodles today.
    Buy some nuts, nutella, and cheese to keep around -- those are good ways to get in calories.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    there are no good or bad food or calories. some foods have more NUTRIENTS, but food is food.

anyways ... if its a random day here and there, i dont care if im under. not that it happens a lot, but occasionally. if it were happening often, then yes, id bump up the butter, or add in a snack or something.

but really, MOST people (aside from eating disorders) ,do not routinely eat under that. The biggest culprit in people THINKING they are, is inaccurate logging.
  • 7books
    7books Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2016
    I don't push myself to the 1200 limit if I don't feel like it. Like today, I'm sitting at just under 800 and I'm not hungry. Might not be before bed either. If my body needed fuel, it would tell me. This is a rare occurrence and I think it's because I went overboard last night by a huge margin. I could easily eat just to eat but I'm trying to get away from eating when I'm not hungry.

This concept that eating under 1200 once or twice a month is disastrous doesn't sound right to me. I would rather go to bed full than stuff myself with ramen and chocolate to reach a certain number that somehow works for all women everywhere. I mean, geez, ramen is awful for you, the sodium content alone is through the roof. And eating sweets could even tamper with your appetite.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    I plan all my days in advance, and I eat exactly what I planned. Even if I wasn't all that hungry, I might eat a meal an hour later but I'd still eat it.

The only day I actually ate way under my plan was when I missed a meal from being in a car accident. I gave myself a pass on that one.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Would you eat even though when you are not hungry just to meet at least min 1200 cal goal?

For example today, I don't feel hungry, eaten only 2 bananas and a coffee around noon. Went to jog 30 mins at 6pm. That's it the whole day that I consumed.

Obviously does not meet the minimum recommended 1200 cals. But should I just eat just to meet it? If I keep below 1200, is it forcing my body into starvation mode? I'm not sure about this.

Starvation mode is a myth.

On a regular basis, eating this low amount of food is not fueling your body, especially if you're exercising....such as the jog you had mentioned. In addition there are other ramification such as the loss of hair and muscle loss.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I wish I had this problem, then I wouldn't be overweight.