Self Control

Options
I'm really bad with keeping myself away from junk food. If there's anything in the house i see it and can't stop myself once i start eating it. Does anyone have any helpful tips?
I've tried throwing out the food before i have the chance to eat it, bht i end up eating a treat that i don't even like because i want something sweet (or salty for that matter)

Replies

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Try pre-logging the calories of that treat you want to eat. Usually seeing what it will do to my daily calories is enough to keep me from indulging, or encourages me by realizing that I CAN eat some of the treat and not totally derail my efforts.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You have to just suck it up and do it.

Is it chocolate that you struggle with? If so, consider getting dark chocolate, rather than milk chocolate. Pre-portion it into single serving baggies, and log before you eat it. Dark chocolate is a little harder to overeat for many of us.

Same for salty stuff - pre-portion it and log before you eat it.

I have a couple of similar weaknesses - Milano cookies, Oreos, and Pringles. I don't buy Oreos anymore. Milanos are a once a year thing. And I bought a pack of single-serving Pringles so I'm less tempted to just mindlessly eat them.

~Lyssa
  • gmbraider
    gmbraider Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

Is it chocolate that you struggle with? If so, consider getting dark chocolate, rather than milk chocolate. Pre-portion it into single serving baggies, and log before you eat it. Dark chocolate is a little harder to overeat for many of us.

I have a couple of similar weaknesses - Milano cookies, Oreos, and Pringles. I don't buy Oreos anymore. Milanos are a once a year thing. And I bought a pack of single-serving Pringles so I'm less tempted to just mindlessly eat them.

~Lyssa

It's mostly lollipops or Doritos, maybe A LOT of guacamole at a time (as that is what i have in the house right now.)
    Though i will try the dark chocolate pre-portioning thing, thank you!
  • gmbraider
    gmbraider Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try to keep your mind on the bigger picture. You have to have a dream bigger than eating that snack, and it has to be real for you. It's really hard for people when it's just vanity. Hell, for a lot of people, not even the fear of death stops them.

But, just remember why you are really doing this. You have to think very long term and keep your mind on the overall goal you have for yourself. Maybe you want to climb Mount Everest one day or something. Whatever it is, keep that in mind. Even write it down and put it on your fridge as a reminder.

I really like that idea writing down my goal in the fridge (I want to complete a half marathon), thank you!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    gmbraider wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

It's mostly lollipops or Doritos, maybe A LOT of guacamole at a time (as that is what i have in the house right now.)
    Though i will try the dark chocolate pre-portioning thing, thank you!

You could pre-portion the Doritos (weigh out a serving, put it in a small ziploc bag, continue till bag is empty). There's single-serve containers of guacamole you could get.

Don't have much advice for the lollipops, other than the pre-portioning, again. Depending on which ones they are, you could try pre-portioning X number and then only allowing yourself one per hour, or some similar interval, to help cut back.

In the end, it's like @GuitarJerry said. You have to want to lose the weight more than having the next lollipop.

~Lyssa
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    dont buy it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    gmbraider wrote: »
    I'm really bad with keeping myself away from junk food. If there's anything in the house i see it and can't stop myself once i start eating it. Does anyone have any helpful tips?
    I've tried throwing out the food before i have the chance to eat it, bht i end up eating a treat that i don't even like because i want something sweet (or salty for that matter)

I have a three pronged approach to this:

1. I don't have trigger foods in the house.

2. When I eat more protein in relationship to carbs, I don't have the munchies or sweet cravings. I eat a few servings of fruit per day and have a small amount of dark chocolate after dinner.

3. Regular exercise is a good substitute for the high I used to get from food.
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    dont buy it.

agreed.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging is GREAT advice (helps me 90% of the time!), and also... don't keep stuff like that in the house. Don't buy snacks you can't stop eating, or if somebody buys it for you then hide it from your line of sight. I've had to distance myself from a lot of foods I'd go crazy about, and it truly helps.
  • mrschikin
    mrschikin Posts: 45 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The best way I've found to increase my self-control is to not make myself exercise self-control in the first place. So in this case, I'd recommend giving the guac/chips/lollipops/whatever to a friend (or enemy), and then not buying any more.

Not keeping the stuff around in the first place is a lot easier both mentally and physically than sitting by the fridge wracked with guilt about your cravings.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Going low carb reduced my appetite and almost eliminated my cravings. It took about a week for it to happen but after that using will power was almost a non issue.

In my house, after entertaining over xmas and hosting a party yesterday, we have Rice Krispie type squares, two types of macaroons, eight types of cookies, cheese cake squares, brownies, four different loaves, Hershey kisses, yogurt covered raisins, a jar of jelly beans, tortillas and other chips. I haven't had any nor been that tempted - quite a switch from 7 months ago! Instead I am having a few pieces of beef jerky and a coffee with a sugar free syrup; all within my calories and macros. Low carb can work very well for many.

Best wishes.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've found over the last 10 years that the only time I crave anything or binge uncontrollably was when I cut something out altogether or told myself I can never have something. It also meant that (as a human) when I did have something like a taste of something or a couple of Doritos chips, I didn't know how to stop.

Honestly, the biggest things that helped me was:

1. First of all just have a period of one or two weeks when you just don't have that stuff in the house.
    2. Then have whatever you want in moderation by MEASURING out portion sizes in bags, Tupperware etc.
    3. Log everything religiously. Make sure to actually include some of these things you like/love into your intake every week and if you don't want or fancy it, don't eat it.