New here

Options
Hi everyone, I am totally new to this. I've tried fitness apps before, but I've heard good things about this app, so here's hoping it works out. I've just started working out and my goal is too lose 65 lbs. I'm a single mom with a busy career so going to the gym is not an option. I bought myself a treadmill on the 28th and have used it every day since. I do an hour to two hours every night. I'm not sure if that is pushing it to hard for a newbie but I feel good. I was actually able to kick it up and run the last 2 minutes of my work out today. That may not sound like a big deal but for me it is. I've never run in my life, at least not longer than 30 seconds lol. I've also been eating healthier the last few days, but I know I have a long road ahead of me and a life time of bad eating habits to overcome. You have to start somewhere right? Anyways, happy new year everyone.

Replies

• misitaly1025
    misitaly1025 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi. Welcome! I'm starting again. New year new me, right. You should do this running program with me. Actually,it will really help motivate me and stay on track if we tried to do it together .It's a running app. Free. I did it once and made it all the way to week 6 and now week 6 is too hard so I will start again. And hey I'm not a runner either. I keep trying that's all. Maybe I can run a mile but it's been along time and it was by going very very slow. The running app (I'll get you the name of interested) it starts out slow like 1:30 walk 1min run and back and forth and it gradually increases each week. I would really like to run a mile and possible do a 5k this year. Ahhhh! Let's do it! How much due you weigh and what state so you live in? Add me!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Log your food every day, stay under your calories, expect occasional slip ups, be active on the ap for support, and you should do great.
  • bigboomer2005
    bigboomer2005 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Need to be watching what and how much you eat. Nutrition plays major part in weight loss
    Feel free to add me
  • shellcheri
    shellcheri Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been adding everything I eat and drink. Just did 30 minutes on the treadmill, and plan on doing 2 more sessions today. I think this time it's going be different, yes I want to lose weight, but more importantly I want to be healthy. This time I have a completely different attitude going into it, I think that is going to make a big difference.
  • eliza8897
    eliza8897 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Sounds like you're on the right track already. Commitment and persistence was the hardest for me when I first started. Logging everything, exercise, and support are critical in this journey in my opinion. Please feel free to add me. Good luck and happy new year!!
  • shellcheri
    Options
    Misitaly... I don't know if I'm ready for a running app but I'll try anything, and love a challange! So here is a question to pose to anyone... according to my scale I've lost 5 lbs in just 3 days. Now, I know that's water weight gyclose cells shrinking and releasing water and what not, but how long before you burn fat? I know roughly 3500 calories is roughly estimated to be 1 LB of fat, that number seems so intimidating. I do a lot of research to keep myself realistic, but should I just go by inches lost and not the scale?
  • 7books
    7books Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1-2 hours a night is fine. When I first lost weight, I did the same thing because I was in college so I would read homework assignments while walking on a treadmill. Now I will either listen to music or read and walk.

It sounds like the app Misi is talking about is Couch to 5k. Definitely a good app to check out.
  • shellcheri
    Options
    Thanks, I'll have to look into that.