Alcohol and weight loss...they don't seem to be the best bed mates

Options
Hello all! Does alcohol derail your weight loss journey? I seem to do well managing my hunger levels and food selection but as soon as I have a glass of wine or other drink with a meal, my appetite goes crazy. Plus my weight loss STOPS. I will be eliminating any alcohol in my diet for several months to see if that improves my results.

Replies

• cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Same - I have cut it out other than the one glass of wine I have on Sunday's. It has helped that I know it's not completely gone
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Does alcohol derail your weight loss journey? I seem to do well managing my hunger levels and food selection but as soon as I have a glass of wine or other drink with a meal, my appetite goes crazy. Plus my weight loss STOPS. I will be eliminating any alcohol in my diet for several months to see if that improves my results.

Sounds like it doesn't work well for you. Everyone is different. Alcohol doesn't trigger me to eat more so I'm fine including it in my calorie intake. I'm having a beer even as I type. But, I just had a nice 1200 calorie burn to kick off the new year.
  • sportyfunlady
    sportyfunlady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow...good for you! Possible tied to aging too as are many changes to our bodies but the impact appears pretty pronounces with me. I'm getting ready for indoor cycling now to jump start my new year. Have a good one!
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Wow...good for you! Possible tied to aging too as are many changes to our bodies but the impact appears pretty pronounces with me. I'm getting ready for indoor cycling now to jump start my new year. Have a good one!

My MFP pals 10 years older don't seem to have a problem either. Once again, everyone is different and we all react differently. It's all about knowing what works well for you and using that. Have a good one as well!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me I am the opposite. If I'm not drinking I will eat something instead so a nightly wine will keep me in check
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    For me I am the opposite. If I'm not drinking I will eat something instead so a nightly wine will keep me in check

That's me, it just gets treated as food calories. If I drink too much, then I might begin to get cravings.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I drink alcohol regularly. I fit it into my calories. But I do find its easier to lose when I have less to drink. Still worth it to drink.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I've still been enjoying a small glass of wine most evenings. I plan so that I can have the wine AND a small snack (usually popcorn) and I have it right before bed, so I don't have time to continue eating.

However, the couple of times I've let myself drink a few glasses (when socializing with friends) I end up eating way more than usual. So I know I need to stick with one glass.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    CICO alcohol only affects what I drink, not what I eat so I work it into my allowance. As said above, we are all different. I know people who have to have a kebab, pizza or any take away on their way home from the pub.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. If you like an occasional glass of wine, or a beer make sure to work it in your food schedule. If it triggers your hunger I would suggest lower quantities with your meal. That way you will satisfy that hunger with already planned meal.
  • tim201200
    tim201200 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    For me, alcohol is a major impediment to weight loss. It's not the calories in the alcohol for me, but it's the fact that it's a trigger to eat poorly. I'm going to try to moderate my intake in 2016!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Some can, some can't. I like drinking but I feel better and lose weight much more easily when I cut it out completely. I tend to go through cycles just like everything else, and that works fine for me. Cut it out for a while but try to keep an open mindset so you don't start demonising moderate drinking.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Alcohol does not affect my weight loss. However, if I drink and then allow myself to splurge on food that does not fit into my calories, then I could gain weight.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i drink all the time. lost 73 pounds and was drunk every weekend this summer. well, every weekend period.

its all in what you plan for LOL
  • kristinecorker
    kristinecorker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am going to avoid alcohol for a while, I just put on 4 kilos in 1 week from over indulging over christmas, Alcohol also alters your appetite, so it makes you crave the wrong foods. I am now back on track for the New Year , lost 1.5 kg but I had to work hard to do that.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Drinking alcohol just takes up too many calories for me and of course I get hungry and want to eat all the food. A glass of wine once in a while when I'm not on prep is fine, but anything more is going to derail my progress.
  • bindwado
    bindwado Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Alcohol does slow your metabolism as your body goes straight to metabolise the alcohol before anything else, ie food intake, fat, sugar etv. Everything in moderation is a good rule. A great fitness coach advises 2 drinks per week max!
    I love a glass or two of wine a little too regularly myself so I try fit it in my calorie intake for the day but have recently made the rule I don't drink after a workout as it sabotages the good work I've done in the gym (strength training should keep your body burning higher calories for around 24 hours, but the minute your body starts processing alcohol this slows down).
    This works for me and keeps me in check with atleast 3 alcohol free days a week but let's me Still enjoy a glass now and then too.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    bindwado wrote: »
    Alcohol does slow your metabolism as your body goes straight to metabolise the alcohol before anything else, ie food intake, fat, sugar etv. Everything in moderation is a good rule. A great fitness coach advises 2 drinks per week max!
    I love a glass or two of wine a little too regularly myself so I try fit it in my calorie intake for the day but have recently made the rule I don't drink after a workout as it sabotages the good work I've done in the gym (strength training should keep your body burning higher calories for around 24 hours, but the minute your body starts processing alcohol this slows down).
    This works for me and keeps me in check with atleast 3 alcohol free days a week but let's me Still enjoy a glass now and then too.

True - alcohol is processed before anything else, but if you are in a deficit it doesnt matter. Who is this great fitness coach? That's their personal recommendation.I have also heard other great fitness coaches say dont drink 2 hours before bedtime and 1-2 drinks per day max. As I mentioned before, everyone is different.
  • 7books
    7books Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Alcohol definitely ruins weight loss for me if I don't keep an eye on it. My husband and I have agreed to restrict drinking to the weekend and even then, no more of the mixed drinks, just wine mostly. One glass can easily fit into our calorie budgets.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    7books wrote: »
    Alcohol definitely ruins weight loss for me if I don't keep an eye on it. My husband and I have agreed to restrict drinking to the weekend and even then, no more of the mixed drinks, just wine mostly. One glass can easily fit into our calorie budgets.

mixed nuts will definitely do you in. I have a hard time with them without alcohol :) With them, I probably can easily eat 700-1000 calories.