Craving junkfood/fast food/soda and overeating after exercise?

Options
What causes this and what can I do to prevent it in the future? what does the body need after exercising?

I used to exercise a long way from home because thats where my gym and dog walks were, and I would get thirsty and cravings when I was finished, often succumbing to them on the way home, because I would pass McDonalds, KFC, Burger King etc...

Replies

• alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Alot of water!!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stop it.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Stop it.
    THIS! I was just about to write the same thing!

"Used to"....? What are you doing now?

When I go somewhere else to work out, I bring a healthy snack to eat in the car *before* I get too hungry. A yogurt or an apple are my typical choices.
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    Stop it.

When I go somewhere else to work out, I bring a healthy snack to eat in the car *before* I get too hungry. A yogurt or an apple are my typical choices.

I would be scared about the majority of food going bad in my car from the heat or getting sticky hands from something like an apple, plus, I hate apples!

I want to stop it, but I'm asking for the reasons behind this behavior and why I want to do it, and how to stop it. Maybe there is something else I genuinely need.
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options
    Stop it.

I would be scared about the majority of food going bad in my car from the heat or getting sticky hands from something like an apple, plus, I hate apples!

I want to stop it, but I'm asking for the reasons behind this behavior and why I want to do it, and how to stop it. Maybe there is something else I genuinely need.

I'm going to be really blunt here. The reasons behind the behavior are possibly something you need to talk to someone about. But you don't need to know the reasons in order to change the behavior. You know you don't want to do it, so stop doing it. Get an insulated lunch bag, an ice pack and a napkin. Millions of school children around the world manage to pack a lunch and not die of food poisoning. What you genuinely need is to stop making excuses and get out there and do what you know you should be doing. (You're welcome.)

• beautifulsparkles
    Options
    Stop it.

I'm going to be really blunt here. The reasons behind the behavior are possibly something you need to talk to someone about. But you don't need to know the reasons in order to change the behavior. You know you don't want to do it, so stop doing it. Get an insulated lunch bag, an ice pack and a napkin. Millions of school children around the world manage to pack a lunch and not die of food poisoning. What you genuinely need is to stop making excuses and get out there and do what you know you should be doing. (You're welcome.)

I'm trying to talk about it now. Thanks for the suggestion about getting an insulated lunchbox. What could I put in that lunchbox that would make me stop desiring the bad stuff? what is it that my body needs?

Usually when I start to feel that way, I've been working hard with my trainer for half an hour or been walking the dog outside under the hot sun for two+ hours, so I end up being thirsty and tired as well as a bit tired. Soda usually tastes really good in this situation, as well as something like hot chips with lots of salt, some fried chicken or a burger, or a combination of two of those things + a sugary drink.

We have a soda stream at home, as well as this liquid stuff that you add to water that claims to have no calories or artificial sugar- I think it might have stevia or something, so maybe I could take some of that with me, but I'm not sure if it would retain its fizziness.

Should I pack something like a chicken sandwich or some hard boiled eggs?
  • Aisle4
    Aisle4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yeah packing food sounds good get some ice packs and idk where ur at but in cooler months u can keep in ur car w the pack and hot months ring in the gym in ur locker or next to u...those fast food chains aren't just bad for ur health they are anti American lol ;) happy new year!!!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Get an insulated lunch box and pack snacks. The soda stream stuff should hold its fizz for a while, or you could try buying sparkling water or similar and see if that does the trick. Gatorade or a similar sports drinks might be worth trying.

I just bring a protein bar to eat if I get hungry and have dinner planned out for when I get home. You could bring a sandwich along, eggs, or something else with protein.

There's nothing wrong with a soda, either, as long as it fits in your calories. Every once in a while, I really want a sugary drink, and I'll get a can of soda with my lunch or something to quench that. Mountain Dew KickStart is actually not that bad, calorie-wise, and it hits the spot when I want a soda - plenty of sugar and fizz :)

~Lyssa
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Stop it.

Because it's behavior that's habitual. Basically you work on changing your behavior. It can be done IF one is committed to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• beautifulsparkles
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Stop it.

Because it's behavior that's habitual. Basically you work on changing your behavior. It can be done IF one is committed to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

So if you break the habit, does the craving go away?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Drink a protein shake on your way home while driving. Just an idea.
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options
    What could I put in that lunchbox that would make me stop desiring the bad stuff?
    There's nothing magic that you can put in a lunchbox that's going to stop you from desiring the bad stuff. But you don't have to give in to the desire. You can eat something better. Being prepared with healthy options will keep you from going to the drive-thru. Here's an incentive for you: Every time you don't stop and get fast food, put the money you didn't spend into a special fund to save up for something you really want. Even at $5/day, 3 times a week, that's almost $800 a year. At the beginning of 2017, you can be closer to (or at) your goal weight AND have $800 for something fun.
    what is it that my body needs?
    You're thirsty? Drink water. Carry a water bottle with you when you walk your dog (and always) and drink often enough so you don't even get thirsty. Keep water with you at the gym, and drink often. You're hungry? Eat something that's nutritious and satisfying. How about some low salt turkey breast on whole wheat or rye bread? You want something sweet that won't get your hands dirty? Try grapes.

Try it for one day. You can do it for one day, right? Yes, you can!
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options

Definately will try thanks!
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options

Definately will try thanks!

That's the spirit! I'm cheering on!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

I just bring a protein bar to eat if I get hungry and have dinner planned out for when I get home. You could bring a sandwich along, eggs, or something else with protein.

~Lyssa

Bingo - have a snack ~ 30-60 mins before you leave work
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said about snacking healthy and packing a lunch plus drinking water. I know it seems like you'll never be able to live without the junk food and soda but in about a month if you follow a good diet all of that stuff will taste terrible to you.
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What about this: are you able to distinguish between craving, and justification? One of the habits I have had to get out of is feeling like I have 'earned' food xyz, whatever it might be, because I worked out and so I 'deserved' it. Those thoughts then quickly develop in to cravings as I start to ponder what I may be able to justify based on the workout I just did. Two things wrong here I've concluded:

1.) Using food as a reward for ANYTHING is a bad move for me - who decides when a reward is justified? Me? Hardly an objective assessment! What are the criteria? Worked out for 30 mins? Walked to the mailbox? Mowed the lawn? Had a bad day? Not a very quantitative system!

2.) Eating salt and sugar laden foods makes me crave... You guessed it! More of the same shite. Even just thinking about it makes me crave it.

So, what to do. What works for me is to time my workout so that I know I'm having a main meal afterwards. Sometimes means that I eat meals at odd times! Lunch at 3 or 4, dinner at 8 or 9, breakfast at 11 or 12, just depends on what time I want to work out. Also importantly, I already know what that meal is going to be - something pre-approved by my more rational, not-hungry brain. All I have to do is save my hunger for a few mins to half an hour till I can have whatever high protein yumminess I have at home or work. With the knowledge that it's going to be a reasonably substantial meal I can avoid mentally going through ideas of what I might want to eat.

Good luck!
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    I just bought an insulated lunchbox :) It came with an icepack. $12
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    Sez3199 wrote: »
    What about this: are you able to distinguish between craving, and justification? One of the habits I have had to get out of is feeling like I have 'earned' food xyz, whatever it might be, because I worked out and so I 'deserved' it. Those thoughts then quickly develop in to cravings as I start to ponder what I may be able to justify based on the workout I just did. Two things wrong here I've concluded:

1.) Using food as a reward for ANYTHING is a bad move for me - who decides when a reward is justified? Me? Hardly an objective assessment! What are the criteria? Worked out for 30 mins? Walked to the mailbox? Mowed the lawn? Had a bad day? Not a very quantitative system!

I don't necessarily think exercise needs to be rewarded, but I find when I do cardio I tend to overeat that day? weird!
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The problem sounds 2-fold to me.
    When I work out; I am hungrier for sure. When I used to go to the gym in the evenings after work, I would come home and immediately have frozen fruit topped with Greek yogurt and nuts and maybe even a glass of chocolate milk. I would feel like I was starving, and I know it was from the workout because on non-workout evenings, I didn't require an evening snack between dinner and bed. So prong one may be that you REALLY are hungrier.
    Prong two is just a bad habit. You've been eating fast food including soda after the workout, so you're associating that "fix" with the workout. All the above suggestions about planning what to eat and bringing it with you are spot-on.
    It may take a few weeks of not indulging yourself to break the habit. I've personally developed unfortunate food habits in the past that were hard to break once established--having something sweet after every meal, an afternoon Diet Coke, crackers and cheese every night. One danger of soda for me is that I associate having a Diet Coke with eating crap. It's a holdback from my college years and early twenties when I had a high activity level and metabolism and the attitude that I could eat whatever I wanted as long as a washed it down with a Diet Coke. So while an afternoon Diet Coke habit in and of itself is not that bad, the cookies, pizza, Lays potato chips, etc. that I subconsciously associate with the Diet Coke can be a real problem. And the more of that crap I eat, the more I want.
    You need to have on hand healthy replacement foods that you enjoy as well as will power to avoid the crap food. Good luck!