Fresh Asparagus

anharrison
anharrison Posts: 74 Member
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
I do not like the bitter taste of this veggie but my husband loves its. Im making it for dinner-any good ways to jazz it up but keep the calorie count in track?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Add enough olive oil to coat and add salt and pepper. Toss well and throw in a 425 oven for 10-15 minutes or until turning brown. This method of roasting has made asparagus lovers out of asparagus haters.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    I love it with lemon and butter, my mom loves it with Italian dressing. It's good both ways, and you can use light italian.
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Add enough olive oil to coat and add salt and pepper. Toss well and throw in a 425 oven for 10-15 minutes or until turning brown. This method of roasting has made asparagus lovers out if asparagus haters.
    I use an olive oil spritzer to keep the fat content low and then sprinkle with Tony's seasoning, then do as above. Yum!
  • KassiV
    KassiV Posts: 28
    Broiled with a little garlic sprinkled on top...yumm!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Add enough olive oil to coat and add salt and pepper. Toss well and throw in a 425 oven for 10-15 minutes or until turning brown. This method of roasting has made asparagus lovers out if asparagus haters.

oh yes roasting is the only way to go.

well not really i steam when i have really skinny ones

gonna try some on the grill next time we cook out
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    I always toss it with a bit of EVOO (healthy fat), sprinkle with a salt free seasoning (like Mr. Dash) or with Kosher salt. But it on a cookie sheet in the oven at 400 for about 10 mins. The ends get kinda krispy and yummy - everyone who I have made it for loves it.. You can do the same thing on the grill too. You can also sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds or sesame oil.
  • thnnr2016
    thnnr2016 Posts: 3 Member
    I toss my asparagus with olive oil, a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder and drizzle with balasamic vinegar. Put on the grill (med high heat)l in a aluminum pan until tender about 10 mins.
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Add enough olive oil to coat and add salt and pepper. Toss well and throw in a 425 oven for 10-15 minutes or until turning brown. This method of roasting has made asparagus lovers out of asparagus haters.

plus i add fresh minced garlic! and i would advise kosher salt! yummmm! i used to hate asparagus but made this way im totally obsessed with it!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    bump.....thanks for the ideas!
  • Talieowl
    Talieowl Posts: 46 Member
    We grill it on a charcoal grill. LOVE it that way. Toss it with a little grapeseed or olive oil as already described then toss it on the grill until just charred and soft. You can also sprinkle spice blends on it--one of my favorite blends is a chili-lime blend. We use no-salt blends. Grilling or roasting it really does change the flavor. I don't like it steamed or boiled, but I love it this way. You will want to watch how much oil you add, however.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    I usually just use 1/2 tsp of EVOO and grill it on the stove in the grill pan, add a little freshly ground black pepper, couple drops of lemon juice and we're good to go. Sometimes I also add a little Mrs Dash for extra flavor but I looooooooooove my asparagus any way it's cooked.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    350 degrees, 15minutes.

asparagus bundle, 2 cloves garlic (diced), 1 tbls olive oil, pepper (and ur suppose to do salt as well but i dont anymore).... mix all of those in a baking dish and throw in the oven, and 15minutes is perfectly done. I only like asparagus this way
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member

So true, this is what turned me on to asparagus....and deep fried asparagus at the Stockton Asparagus Festival...YUM!
  • c_ramey
    c_ramey Posts: 83 Member
    sautee asparagus in 2 tbs canola oil, and 2 teaspoons of ginger- until crisp tender. Add fresh mushrooms, 1 teaspoon of salt (you can use less), 1/8 teaspoon of sugar and pepper. cook until mushrooms are tender YUMMY! This is a recipe I just tried a couple of nights ago and everybody at my house loved it!

* 3/4 cup = 90 calories, 7g fat (1 g saturated) 0 cholestrol, 599 mg sodium (use less or no salt) 5 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein
  • Dreawolf
    Dreawolf Posts: 37 Member
    *Bump...Great ideas!
  • jkannon5001
    jkannon5001 Posts: 22 Member
    bump for later
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    a little sea salt on asparagus goes a long way.
This discussion has been closed.