Weight Watchers transplant

Options
Hello!

I was very successful on Weight Watchers, lost 120# and made it to goal weight. Life happened and I want to shed 25# and get back to goal. Weight Watchers recently changed their food plan drastically and it's not a fit for me anymore. I have been tracking on MFP for 5 days now. It has been a relatively smooth transition, with me already used to weighing, measuring, counting, and tracking. I am enjoying the stability of this app and the large database of foods. The integration with my Apple Watch is awesome. I am glad to find there are message boards here. I used to go to in-person meetings, so some support from people on the journey is great as well. I really feel positive about this change. I need to work on increasing my activity most. Well, I hope to get to know more of you better. :)

~Dayna

Replies

• dramsey123
    dramsey123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have also done weight watchers but have not been doing well with new changes start on mfp this week and will weigh on friday i really like this set up. just need to get up and start exercising. i am 50 and cannot do a lot of different things because of bad knees. need motivation. good luck we can do this
  • nfreemanl
    nfreemanl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a former mobile Weight Watcher but I must say MFP seems to work better for me.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I wonder what type of changes were not that great in your opinion? I was in between joining weight watchers or this. I like the fact this is free and more individual.
  • averylopez
    averylopez Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me as a friend. I am also a die hard WW and lost 110 lbs 14 years ago and am a lifetimer. I also worked for them for years. However, I love MFP and use it everyday. I am looking for a support system here on MFP as all my other "friends" have fallen off the plan. It's easy and I have found it a great tool in keeping track!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I didn't like how I was losing weight on a fairly low calorie diet, and then they changed the point structure so most of the foods I was eating became higher points. I don't see the point in arbitrarily changing things. I don't need help moderating sugar or fat - I don't believe that either of those foods are inherently bad. I'm not interested in a low-carb, low-fat diet, so I quit. I'm not wasting money on something I don't agree with. That said, I miss my forum buddies.
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I used to work at Weight Watchers (only for short time and prior to that had lost weight successfully on the old program, but the new program is a. expensive compared to MFP, b. doesn't suit my lifestyle at all and c. when you have worked somewhere it feels weird to still use the program. I was privy to many aspects of the new program, and had a feeling a lot of people would jump ship. I cannot say much except that it no longer suits me so I am here at MFP tracking, as I did with WW, contributing to the community as I did with WW, and no having to shell out $$ to do this. I wasn't a meetings type of a gal anyway, so I don't blame any of you for changing. It's a model that has been emulated successfully with the other online programs. I too am looking for friends to keep my accountable, distract me from evening snacking and helping to motivate me. I will do the same in return. I have to lose weight for health reasons (I have osteoarthritis and need to lose 20 kg or so).
  • pitcherday
    pitcherday Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @DianePK I also worked for WW. I was a leader for 2 years but around the time of Simple Start. After I quit, it feels so weird to be in meetings and see my old co-workers every day. What other job would you have that you show up to all the time after you left? I don't feel like just a member now, so the meetings weren't really as helpful as they were before I worked there. I felt weird contributing to the discussion. Maybe it will be different now, but the meeting topics were recycled every year. 10 years of the same topics over and over.

@Angelina_SanDiego they changed to a much more restrictive food plan. It was a drastic change - not for all - but for a good number of members. I do eat healthy, but I enjoy a sweet treat here and there as well. They jacked up the points for anything with sugar - naturally occurring (like lactose) or otherwise. Oddly, while dairy products were upped in points, fruit, with naturally occurring fructose stayed zero points. Even healthy things like quinoa went up. For instance, I liked to split a cookie with my friend at Panera Bread once in a while. It used to be 7 points, but now it is 12 (out of my daily 30). It's like the South Beach Diet- low fat low carb, restricting. It used to be a lifestyle change, but I would have had to change my eating habits so drastically overnight that it was literally a crash diet. All know how great those work. People are shedding tons of weight fast, but it's because you can eat all of your points and only be at 1000 cal. for the day. I think it is unhealthy and unsustainable now.

I know from working there that they have an advanced food science department. I don't argue that the food you are pushed into eating isn't healthy. It's the restrictive and punitive nature of the new points system that made me jump ship.
  • Janes_MFP
    Janes_MFP Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @pitcherday can u add me as a friend?

janes_mfp
  • pjbayer906
    pjbayer906 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    WW Lifetime here. Tired of the WW system and just looking for a place to connect with others who need to drop 10+ #. I will be 60 this year and need to address the extra weight. I got a Garmin Vivofit for Christmas. Add me as a friend please?
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    "It's the restrictive and punitive nature of the new points system that made me jump ship."

I hear you @pitcherday. You want to feel you are able to handle all food groups and loosing. I hate to feel restrictive that you never ever can eat x type of food. On the other hand, have skinny friends that never touch x foods not even with a 10 inch pole lol so... whatever works for different individuals.

It's good you are hear and you are taking control of your eating. Glad I joined and be able to talk to all of you.

Happy New Year 2016!
  • DianePK
    Options
    nfreemanl wrote: »
    I am a former mobile Weight Watcher but I must say MFP seems to work better for me.
    I have no doubt WW works, my issue for not rejoining after I stopped working for them is the cost justification when many of the key tools available are free, such as tracking food and exercise, community engagement and mobile apps (that work).
  • DianePK
    Options
    pitcherday wrote: »
    @DianePK I also worked for WW. I was a leader for 2 years but around the time of Simple Start. After I quit, it feels so weird to be in meetings and see my old co-workers every day. What other job would you have that you show up to all the time after you left? I don't feel like just a member now, so the meetings weren't really as helpful as they were before I worked there. I felt weird contributing to the discussion. Maybe it will be different now, but the meeting topics were recycled every year. 10 years of the same topics over and over.

@Angelina_SanDiego they changed to a much more restrictive food plan. It was a drastic change - not for all - but for a good number of members. I do eat healthy, but I enjoy a sweet treat here and there as well. They jacked up the points for anything with sugar - naturally occurring (like lactose) or otherwise. Oddly, while dairy products were upped in points, fruit, with naturally occurring fructose stayed zero points. Even healthy things like quinoa went up. For instance, I liked to split a cookie with my friend at Panera Bread once in a while. It used to be 7 points, but now it is 12 (out of my daily 30). It's like the South Beach Diet- low fat low carb, restricting. It used to be a lifestyle change, but I would have had to change my eating habits so drastically overnight that it was literally a crash diet. All know how great those work. People are shedding tons of weight fast, but it's because you can eat all of your points and only be at 1000 cal. for the day. I think it is unhealthy and unsustainable now.

I know from working there that they have an advanced food science department. I don't argue that the food you are pushed into eating isn't healthy. It's the restrictive and punitive nature of the new points system that made me jump ship.

I found the same thing. It wasn't sustainable as it was too restrictive, and too "perfect". The old system worked better for me. I know it is about science based research but I think that they made it too hard for the average human to adapt to their lifestyle.
  • DianePK
    Options
    I wonder what type of changes were not that great in your opinion? I was in between joining weight watchers or this. I like the fact this is free and more individual.

The old system was about calories, carbs and fat. Now it is about protein, sugar and fat - the equation changed. The pillars of "Food, Fit, Feel" is remarkably similar to Michelle Bridges "Move, Munch, Mood" ie exercise, food and emotions. And there is a reason for this. Food is the number one way to lose weight, but excersie makes up about 30% of weightloss, but your emotional relationship with food needs to be addresses as well.

I am an ex WW employee (for a short time only) and lost weight while I was there, but because you need to use their points if you stop using their tools, you can't track and watch what you eat as easily. I'd rather KJ or calories so I am not tied/invested to one single program.
  • WeaselbeanzMum
    WeaselbeanzMum Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    DianePK wrote: »
    nfreemanl wrote: »
    I have no doubt WW works, my issue for not rejoining after I stopped working for them is the cost justification when many of the key tools available are free, such as tracking food and exercise, community engagement and mobile apps (that work).

There is no doubt that Weight Watchers works - I have had success a few times but the cost justification, as you so rightly say, just isn't there for me any more. The other key for me there is the phrase 'a few times' - my issue with WW is that I was just essentially punching numbers into a screen and if they more or less came to what they were supposed to, great! It didn't give me any REAL feeling for the quality of food types I was eating and, in some cases, the harm the chemical compositions of them were doing to my body. Nor did I have any real handle on how to calculate sensibly away from the on screen calculator so I have yo yo'd weight for literally years!!

There is a lot to be said for MFP - the support is just brilliant and so often what you need :smile: , it is truly an excellent resource! There is also a lot to be said for taking a REALLY good look at what is actually in the food you are putting into your body...
  • pitcherday
    pitcherday Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree @WeaselbeanzMum the new system really pushes for artificial sweeteners. Many of their suggested recipes (especially the dessert choices) are chock full of artificial sweeteners and non-dairy butter substitutes. I always chose butter. It contains milk and salt, so it was worth it. Now only yellow pastes and sprays of chemicals are points-friendly.
  • WeaselbeanzMum
    Options
    pitcherday wrote: »
    I agree @WeaselbeanzMum the new system really pushes for artificial sweeteners. Many of their suggested recipes (especially the dessert choices) are chock full of artificial sweeteners and non-dairy butter substitutes. I always chose butter. It contains milk and salt, so it was worth it. Now only yellow pastes and sprays of chemicals are points-friendly.

Ok, personal opinion ONLY, but frankly I genuinely find that frightening! I know I am an extreme but I will only use coconut sugar, maple syrup or honey as natural sweetners - I honestly do find that to be enough. There are some pretty heavy weight reports out there on the toxic properties of a lot of the artificials...

• WeaselbeanzMum
    Options
    Butter - absolutely 100% agree. Again, I will not use substitutes (and I prefer butter anyway :smile: )
  • pwalksalot
    pwalksalot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also broke free of weight watchers for the many reasons already mentioned. I really like mfp.
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP nearly 3 years now. Lost weight initially then relaxed and gained most back. I did WW Pro points for 3 months online and dropped 8 kgs since last July. It's too expensive to keep going with it. But it has changed my eating habits for the better. I know eat more fruit and vegetables. They were 0 points which made you eat them. Now I enjoy eating different types of fruits and it is very filling.
  • weightwatcherjoan
    Options
    I am a former WW leader who made lifetime on the old Points Plan (Momentum). I never really liked Points Plus, but was able to maintain my weight on the plan. When I left my job with WW in February 2012, I gradually yo-yo'd my way up 25 pounds, just 7 pounds from my starting weight. I bounced around between MFP, Spark People and doing WW on my own. My weight bounced around too. This past July, I began attending meetings again and the weight slowly started coming off. Since Smart Points began , the weight is dropping a little faster. I LIKE that the new plan is getting me away from sugar. I feel so much better. Desserts are supposed to be for special occasions; not everyday. I NEED the motivation, support and accountability of WW meetings. MFP has the best data base; I use it when I can't find a food in the WW app and then I put it into the smart points calculator. If you cannot afford WW, MFP is a good substitute; but WW is the only thing that I have had success with.