• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    looking in the mirror
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    BMI isn't the best measure of how healthy/unhealthy you are. BF % is what you should concern yourself with. A very muscular male might have a higher than normal weight but have low body fat n and he'd be considered overweight/unhealthy by BMI. Use the mirror/bf %.
  • codsterlaing95
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    Anyone performing weight training to any decent level will never have normal bmi.

Bmi only measures weight vs height and doesn't take into consideration muscle and other factors.

This
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I started at 28,5 and have maintained between 20-21 since I got to maintenance
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Yeah mine is at the lower end of normal 18.8....this is where I feel most comfortable.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    When I started counting my calories I didn't know about BMI, I just wanted to get back to my normal weight of 5 years previously.

Turns out I started with a BMI of 24.6 and ended with a BMI of 18.9. That was what I had been most of my adult life apparently.
    I now maintain between 18.9 and 19.8.

I checked out the site mentioned above. It gave me a bf% of 20.7 (similar to my scales), but in all honesty I would say I am closer to 24-25.

Cheers, h.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates, so depending on the day my BMI is in the range of 20.6 - 21.3.

I just don't think I really need to lose anymore weight and I'm fairly happy with the way I look 80% of the time (yes I have some overly critical thoughts once in a blue moon).

I have no clue what my BF% is, but not overly concerned.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My BMI states I am still overweight. I have lost 43kgs (94lbs) and am now quite fit - I swim 4-5 times a week often 3kms (60 laps). I'm happy with where I'm at. In a non-critical sense I can see that I could weigh less I'm open to the idea but I like my maintenance intake at this body size. So I am open to losing more slowly (which I have been doing, super slowly) but I am totally reluctant to eat less to get there.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 23, so, yes, within normal range. I have maintained at that for 2 years now.

Yes, BMI is not the only guide to healthy weight and yes, people, particularly men, who are weight lifters or otherwise very muscular can have a BMI over the range and still be very healthy.

But nobody should be looking at BMI alone and not in context. If you are a weight lifter or very muscular, expect to have a higher BMI.
    But for most of us who are not such or are not body shape outliers for other exceptional reasons, eg we are not amputees or people with dwarfism, it does give a good guide.

When I had a BMI of 28, it was not because I was an elite muscular sportsperson - it was because I was overweight.
    It hasn't dropped to 23 because I am now less muscular - it has dropped because I lost fat.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    BMI is a perfectly good tool for me. I am small framed and not very muscular - I have had to struggle for every scrap of muscle I have at the minute :D
    When I started losing weight my BMI was 23. Now it's 20 and I feel this suits me much better. Much lower does not look great, as it all comes off my upper body and I start to look a bit scrawny for my tastes. If I was a stockier body shape I would be perfectly happy with a higher BMI.

I do think most people can be accommodated within the 'normal' BMI range. In all honesty, I think very few people you're likely to encounter in everyday life are genuine outliers (I'm thinking particularly of those I know IRL who scoff at BMI; they're definitely not rugby players or weightlifters but feel they must have too much muscle to ever get under 25). I think the idea of what is a 'healthy' weight has got a bit warped.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I
    Anyone performing weight training to any decent level will never have normal bmi.

Bmi only measures weight vs height and doesn't take into consideration muscle and other factors.

I lift heavy a lot and have a "normal" bmi

Yeah sorry I should of probably aimed this more towards males

It's more often used as an excuse by fat blokes who lift a bit!
    I certainly used it as an excuse for years.....

My maintenance weight is in the normal range.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    As an overweight person I was convinced that the BMI scale was totally and utterly irrelevant

Turns out a BMI of 24 suits my body aesthetic just fine ..who knew?

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My BMI is around 21-22....but tbh i'm more concerned with how much body fat i have.
    I'd rather be 128lbs with 20% Body fat, than 128lbs with 27% Body Fat.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I was in the skinny fat category and even though my BMi was 25.82 it wasnt good for me healthwise. It is much better for me at 22. That also changed by BF profile from 25%+ to around 11-12%.
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just got into the normal BMI today. Still have about 3 lbs. to go. Doctor said not to go any lower. Still, I feel great.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My doctor advised me to stop losing weight when I was still 8 pounds in the overweight category.
    Just got into the normal BMI today. Still have about 3 lbs. to go. Doctor said not to go any lower. Still, I feel great.

Can I ask you both why your doctors advised you to not lose more?

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Mine is just under 23. I'd like it to be under 22 because I know I look good and feel good at that weight. I am not muscular right now as compared to my past, but even when strong , BMI worked well for me...even with a large frame.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    I'm around 21, but not maintaining yet. I still want to lose a little (probably 5 pounds or less, but I'll know goal when I feel it). I think I'm a little more muscular than average for my age/sex (60/female) but not an actual outlier. I'm wide-shouldered, but narrow-hipped, no booty, and literally no breasts (breast cancer/bilateral mastectomies/no reconstruction).

I think that BMI offers some useful guidance for the vast majority of people, but one's specific body type details and especially personal preferences are very, very important.

My vote: Trust yourself. If you're happy and feel healthy where you are, stay there.

Besides, it's not a irrevocable decision. If you decide later that you'd prefer to gain/lose a bit, you can do that.
  • codsterlaing95
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Perhaps bf % applies more to males than females. Not sure.