Any advise on how to work out with Tachycardia

Options
Im told I need to exercise to strengthen my heart but my heart rate stays high then jumps really high when i try .Does anyone else have this problem and any advise to over come it and what exercises would be best

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, preferably cardiologist, and maybe referral to physiotherapy to set up an appropriate program with parameters on how hard you can push yourself while remaining safe.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Doctor question
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Talk to your doctor, preferably cardiologist, and maybe referral to physiotherapy to set up an appropriate program with parameters on how hard you can push yourself while remaining safe.

Yep, this^^
  • erictahnee
    erictahnee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ive talked to them and all they say is exercise and do cardio(nothing specific or any advise on what to do when i feel like im gonna die while doing it lol) ..ive wanted to go to a gym or something but just don't have the money
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You need to re-ask!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    erictahnee wrote: »
    Ive talked to them and all they say is exercise and do cardio(nothing specific or any advise on what to do when i feel like im gonna die while doing it lol) ..ive wanted to go to a gym or something but just don't have the money

If by "them" you mean your cardiologist, get a new one. If your doctor didn't have specific answers, he or she should have referred you to someone who did.
  • DavPul
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

If by "them" you mean your cardiologist, get a new one. If your doctor didn't have specific answers, he or she should have referred you to someone who did.

I dunno. If that's what the doctor said then the OP is cleared to exercise. She can do whatever she wants as almost all forms of exercise will benefit the heart. Creating a specific post saying "please fix my heart" is a misdirect by OP, not an oversight by the doctor. Doctors won't generally tell you what to do but they'll give you a list of things to avoid (arms above head, prolonged elevated heart rate, heart rate above 140, etc.). If she asked the doc what to do and the answer was *Just go work out" then just go work out.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Cardiac nurse here. By tachycardia, how fast are we talking about? At rest and on exercise? If your cardiologist cleared you for exercise, then your cardiologist thinks that the pros of exercising beats the cons of having a really fast heart rate. End of the day, you need to listen to your body, and push yourself to your limits. Start slow and build up. If there is not a lot you can do, or there is nothing you can do without feeling like you're dying (literally, not figuratively), then you need to schedule another appointment with your cardiologist because there is obviously more to your condition that your cardiologist first thought.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Walk. Walk slowly and keep increasing distance. It is free, easy and you can control the pace.
  • erictahnee
    erictahnee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank u every one for all the advice..as for the question of how high my heart gets ,before i got put on my heart meds it wld get up around 160-180 resting,now that im on them my resting doesnt get above 120 and very light exercise puts me around the 160-180 range
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Im told I need to exercise to strengthen my heart but my heart rate stays high then jumps really high when i try .Does anyone else have this problem and any advise to over come it and what exercises would be best
    What has your cardiologist advised you to do?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

If you have been cleared by your doctor for exercise, what are you trying to do? Do you wear a heart rate monitor so that you can gauge what your heart rate is? I know its hard for some people but slow down and go at a comfortable rate. After you have been doing that for a while you can slowly increase it. For instance, maybe 115 is comfortable for you. Stay there for a while until you can comfortable do 30 minutes. Then slowly increase it. If you get uncomfortable and the rate jumps, ease up and bring it back down.

• 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Thank u every one for all the advice..as for the question of how high my heart gets ,before i got put on my heart meds it wld get up around 160-180 resting,now that im on them my resting doesnt get above 120 and very light exercise puts me around the 160-180 range

What exactly is light exercise? Are you able to get it back down to the 130-140 range?
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I has tachycardia in the beginning of May, my doc gave me a calcium channel blocker to help reduce my heart rate. He also suggested exercise and weight loss (I was obese). The tachycardia was non-specific as I'm assuming yours is.

As you know, it's an unpleasant feeling to have your heartrate racing all the time. I became obsessed with the lack of control I had, probably a good thing. In May my average Resting heart rate was 96 BPM.

I started a diet that resembled what my great grandparents would have eaten. No processed foods, sugary items were thrown out. I was eating about 1700 calories of nutrient rich homemade food. No pop, cake, candy. No caffeine, or alcohol, those latter two were the only medically suggested advice.

Besides the diet, I started walking. First walk was a 40 minute mile. I thought I'd die because my heart had to explode, it sure felt like it was going to. Next time was two days later, still feeling like I was ready to die. Eventually(like a month) it got a little easier and I started walking further and a little faster. In August I was walking up to 4 miles at 30 minutes per mile rates. Then I kept pushing the walking speed, by October I could do 15 minute miles, albeit my heart rate would get up over the 85%. I should mention it is very hilly where we live so it was tough walking.

Today I'm down 50 pounds, my average resting heart rate for December was 65 BPM! I quit taking the calcium channel blocker as it also lowered my blood pressure, it was getting too low(96/54) and I was dizzy all the time. Bonus I was on different BP meds for over 20 years, today I take nothing. GERD is gone, snoring too, I used to get many cluster headaches, haven't had on in a record busting six months.

I can't tell you what the "cure" was for sure. I was only eating 1700 calories daily so I'm sure the calorie deficit was responsible for the weight loss. Exercise helped the weight loss, I'd think it was partially responsible for my heart being stronger. I'm of the belief it took both, healthy weight loss and exercise, but I can't prove it.

Sorry for such a long post, I sincerely hope you find your answer.

ETA: One thing I forgot to mention about diet. I've always been told my potassium was low, I adjusted by eating at least 100 grams of banana, couple of dates, russet or sweet potatoes with skin. I also was a sodium reducer, tried for less than 1500 mg daily. I can't say that was the answer, just another variable.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    See if you can have a stres test done, so they can advise you on your limits. That's what I did.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

I dunno. If that's what the doctor said then the OP is cleared to exercise. She can do whatever she wants as almost all forms of exercise will benefit the heart. Creating a specific post saying "please fix my heart" is a misdirect by OP, not an oversight by the doctor. Doctors won't generally tell you what to do but they'll give you a list of things to avoid (arms above head, prolonged elevated heart rate, heart rate above 140, etc.). If she asked the doc what to do and the answer was *Just go work out" then just go work out.

This is what I was getting at. Your docs should give you specific parameters to stay within, such as keeping your heart rate below a certain number. Someone who is trained in exercise physiology should be able to help you design a program that will keep you within those ranges. If you don't have the money to have someone help you design a program, start slowly and build up from there staying within the guidelines set forth by your doc. Given that you have a known medical condition, you will need to progress with more caution that someone who does not, but you can get improvements with time and patience.
  • DavPul
    Options

This is what I was getting at. Your docs should give you specific parameters to stay within, such as keeping your heart rate below a certain number. Someone who is trained in exercise physiology should be able to help you design a program that will keep you within those ranges. If you don't have the money to have someone help you design a program, start slowly and build up from there staying within the guidelines set forth by your doc. Given that you have a known medical condition, you will need to progress with more caution that someone who does not, but you can get improvements with time and patience.

But if the doc didn't give her parameters then it's possible they're aren't any (within reason). I tell people to go see their doc all the time, but once they've seen their doc I don't tell them to go see another doc or go see the same doc again. At some point I have to trust in the system and if the doc says a person is clear to work out then that's what we do (within reason).
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

But if the doc didn't give her parameters then it's possible they're aren't any (within reason). I tell people to go see their doc all the time, but once they've seen their doc I don't tell them to go see another doc or go see the same doc again. At some point I have to trust in the system and if the doc says a person is clear to work out then that's what we do (within reason).

But it would be worth a phone call to confirm that there are no parameters.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options

Correct, that is what trainers and health coaches are for once the clearance is provided. They can provide the initial guidance so that she doesn't over exert herself and possible work with her to provide feedback to the doc. Docs aren't expected to know everything.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My doc gave me no more advice than start doing. He couldn't tell me what exercises or even a target heart rate, how could he? Other than common sense advise. He knew what my heartrate was at the ER and during two office visits. I asked about the (220-age)*.85 rate, he smiled and said "sure, I guess".

There's not always a known cause for Tachacardia and many folks have it and accept it as normal. Yes, sometimes it's a serious condition and needs serious meds and treatment. That is generally ruled out with an EKG and blood work.

The ER was insistent that I was just dehydrated, they released me (RHR 110) with no meds and suggested I contact my PCP the next week. All they had done was the EKG and blood panels. My PCP looked into the ER notes and when he saw I'd had a stress test and echocardiogram within the last 18 months and decided no need for a cardiologist or more testing.

I really don't understand why some folks are pointing the OP to more DR. visits as their PCP has already given their best advice.