Fit by Fifty!

Options
I'm back here making a new start and determined to prioritise myself and my health this time. I'll be turning 50 in Feb 2017 and want to use the next 14 months so to get myself into the best shape I've been since my 20s. I've got 85 Ibs (6 stone) to lose, and need to get back into doing regular exercise that I enjoy and that my body can manage, as well as practising ways of coping with stress that don't involve food or alcohol. I'm looking for people in the same boat who might enjoy being part of a supportive longer term goal setting group with maybe a few challenges thrown in along the way.
Anyone else out there approaching the big Five-Oh and determined to start the next decade of their life in better shape than the last?
Ros x

Replies

• AmyzHlth
    AmyzHlth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ros, I will turn 50 in August 2017, and like you, I really want to get back into the shape I was in even just a few short years ago. I've got at least 20-25 pounds to lose, and know what I need to do it - portion control is fairly easy for me, consistent exercise and cutting alcohol consumption are much more difficult - and want to use resources like myfitnesspal to help me get there. A supportive, longer-term goal setting group would surely be helpful as well!
    Amy
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Whoops, too late for me, but I definitely plan to be fitter by 60 (next year) than I have been recently. I've made a good start.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I would like to join you also please. I turn 50 in July 2017.
  • marieesweinmiller
    Options
    Rosy, I turn 50 April of 2018 and have 50+ pounds that I would like to lose before then. I tried to lose 50lbs in 2015 and ended up the same weight as I started. A little up and down along the way. I know what I have to do eating healthier and even more importantly moving more! I could use support making these changes in 2016. I really want to get back in shape do I can enjoy more activities w my 10 year old daughter and be a better role model for her as well. I'm a technical consultant and help modivate others on a daily basis. I would love to be a part of your group for for modivational support for myself and others.
  • tuggley
    tuggley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We are thinking along the same lines. I had a friend who was turning 50 and set an amazing goal for herself, it was around music, not weight loss, but was incredibly inspiring hearing her story. That gave me the idea of a 50 goal for myself focused around weight loss and health. I turn 50 on September 13, 2016. Eight and a half months...I can do it. My goal weight was 155....but I am thinking it would be fun to make it 150....for my 50th bday. I need to lose 38 pounds, get physically fit and emotionally healthy. I have a six year old daughter who is getting faster and faster. I want to be able to play and participate with her rather than be on the sidelines watching. Would really like to have friends with a similar mindset along this "Fit by Fifty" journey.
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would like to join. I turn 50 in November 2017. Will you be starting a group or should we continue to post on this thread?
  • Rosy67
    Rosy67 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Lovely to hear from you all! I guess there is some enthusiasm for supporting each other as we approach this milestone.

Amy- I'm totally with you on the consistent exercise and alcohol tripwires :/
    Marie- Grrr. I hate that. You try so hard, take your eye off the ball for 2 seconds and before you know it, it's all undone.
    Tuggely- I'm really curious about your friend's music goal!
    Healthy67Chick- I'm thinking it might be easier if I start a group, then we can have different threads for different topics if necessary.

What do other people think?
  • Rosy67
    Rosy67 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Here we go- I created a group.
    Let me know if you have any problems finding it
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/110832-fit-by-fifty

I've made it public for now, but that's up for review if people would prefer the content to be private. Let me know.

Ros x
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Thanks for starting a group!
  • terialsip
    terialsip Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'll be 52 next week. I gained weight after my hysterectomy. I've almost lost the extra but am determined to lose a lot more. I just don't have the energy. I try and fail at working out and could also use some support. Good luck!
  • cyndithomas3
    cyndithomas3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I will be 50 in Feb 2017 too! i gained weight this holiday season. I just completed my 1st 1/2 marathon in November and then i gave in to the holiday food & drinks. I used my fitness pal to lose weight before and it works once you start logging your food. Let's do it ladies!
  • edithmom997
    edithmom997 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will be fifty August 22 this year. I have the same goal. To be 'fit by fifty'