Doctor reccomended

So due to a slew of health issues I have recently been diagnosed with, I am on a strict diet. I am supposed to limit fatty foods, sugar, caffeine, gluten, lactose, and nightshade vegetables. I am also a 13 years long Vegetarian. I am struggling with adapting to my new diet as I am a big foodie. I love cooking, going out to eat, watching cooking shows, and trying new recipes. Any recommendations on how to make this lifestyle change easier? Or even some good ideas for meals? Thank you all!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    It might be easier if you made a list of foods you can and like to eat, and work from there.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Sorry to hear that. I hope these dietary changes improve your health. Your doctor should've given you a list of food you CAN eat (then you eliminate what you don't want to eat since you are a vegetarian) or ask them for a referral to a registered dietitian who can help you plan some meals.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    When I was first told to go GF I spent too long concentrating on what I could not eat instead of what I can eat. Once I changed my mindset to what I can eat it got much easier.

Once I got my head around what I can now eat, I started looking at dishes I missed eating to see if I could make changes and adapt them. I also signed up to various food intolerance forums where I picked up some great ideas and advice from.

It was not easy at first but once I got the swing of things it made it all much better. If anything I am more adventurous with my food now than what I used to be before.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2015
    So due to a slew of health issues I have recently been diagnosed with, I am on a strict diet. I am supposed to limit fatty foods, sugar, caffeine, gluten, lactose, and nightshade vegetables. I am also a 13 years long Vegetarian. I am struggling with adapting to my new diet as I am a big foodie. I love cooking, going out to eat, watching cooking shows, and trying new recipes. Any recommendations on how to make this lifestyle change easier? Or even some good ideas for meals? Thank you all!

@Sabreekoonce
    I would expect that gluten, tomatoes, and potatoes are the hardest to work around for cooking but you can get used to not having them. Look for paelo recipes to avoid the night shades. Instead of meat use beans, Potato starch is in a lot of processed foods:
    http://www.getting-started-with-healthy-eating.com/no-nightshades-diet.html
    These are foods you can probably eat:
    soy, eggs, rice, millet, quinoa, buckwheat, black beans, soy beans, pinto beans, tofu, lentils, chic peas, hemp seeds, chia seeds, green peas, butter nut squash, pumpkin, coconut, green beans, squash, broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, bananas, plantains ,cucumbers, avocado, sweet potatoes, garlic, ginger, onions, Fruit, Sharp cheddar, Parmesan, cheese, Tree nuts, Gluten free soy sauce, black and white pepper, Rice chex cereal.
    Here is a recipe for White Chicken Chili - Nightshade Free (Use additional cannellini and northern beans to replace the chicken)
    http://www.food.com/recipe/white-chicken-chili-nightshade-free-469052
  • Sabreekoonce
    Sabreekoonce Posts: 15 Member
    Thank you all for your help! I had another visit with my doctor and my hair analysis was in. I also have a calcium shell and copper toxicity so I habe been instructed to go pescetarian. This is going to be a very long and difficult journey.