Protein shakes for girls

Options
Hi, could someone advise me about good protein shakes for girls. I want something to drink after a workout or even at other times in the day but im unsure about the amount of calories they contain. There is no point in me taking in more calories from the shake than i burn off whilst exercising? All the ones i've seen are food big gains for guys which I don't want so yea any advise would be good thanks!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes will not bulk you up or make you gain weight unless you are already eating at a calorie surplus.

Just pick one that is low in sugar and fat and that tastes good to you.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    There's no separate category of protein shakes for girls. Your bodies will interpret protein shakes the same way guys' bodies do.

Find one that is affordable, tastes good, and fits into your daily calories/macronutrients.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You know they're a little pricey, but I like Advant Edge. Low carb and calories and a good amount of protein. They seem lite too.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This is what I bought today:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortress-Super-Advanced-Whey-Protein-Chocolate-Peanut-Butter-Supplement-2-Lb/13274590

This is what I hear is the BEST flavor (going to buy it next time):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortress-Super-Advanced-Whey-Protein-Cookies-N-Cr-Me-Protein-Supplement-2-lb/10322371

Awesome price, 130 calories/scoop. And it's got a good enough flavor to make with water.
  • vscuorzo
    vscuorzo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was reading somewhere that Chocolate Milk 10 minutes has the same results. Don't know, haven't tried it just read it somewhere recently.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have one for dinner every night. Check out my food diary, but it's basically a scoop of Optimum Nutrition powder, a cup of soy milk light, 1/2 cup greek yogurt 0% fat, and some frozen fruit thrown in.
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I use GNC wheybolic in chocolate flavor, serving size is 3 scoops but i only do one. It's 93 cals for one scoop and 25+ for protein. You can mix it with water or you can do milk if you dont mind the extra cals
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I was reading somewhere that Chocolate Milk 10 minutes has the same results. Don't know, haven't tried it just read it somewhere recently.

The only "clinical" studies that support that were sponsored by dairy companies...I think they may be a tad biased.

I've used choco milk after a workout, and even though it tasted great, I didn't have the same recovery as a protein shake. I was more sore the next day with just the choco milk.
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Myoplex lite is good and for women.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    With the different shakes - sometimes it says to use three scoops but you're able to use just one. I use GNC Pro Amplified Wheybolic protein and use one scoop instead of the three. It helps with recovery and the - to me - the chocolate tastes the best if you mix it with milk.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein - vanilla or chocolate. Right now I have chocolate but I have to throw a lot of fruit in it or it tastes gross since I've been using it so long, haha! The first couple months you'll love it though. Definitely tastes better than a lot of shakes out there. Only about 130 calories and 23g of protein. I also like the Clif builder bars. The flavors are tasty and they're 20g protein per bar and only 270 cals.
  • lauraaaaxo
    lauraaaaxo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I know just drinking shakes isn't going to make me gain any huge muscles or anything I'm just a bit worried about the calories in a lot of them as the ones I've seen all have high cals and I feel I'd be taking up a lot of my daily intake with just a drink basically. I shall look into your suggestions though!
  • IDAimee
    IDAimee Posts: 2
    Options
    Bump
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    hey, i posted something along the same lines a while ago... might be helpful to you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231630-ladies-protein-shakes-power-stuff

i just bought dymatize ISO 100 - (hundred odd calories).

xo
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I like unflavored protein powder (all of the flavored ones I have tried are way too sweet). I just mix a scoop in with a smoothie. The health food store where I live sells single serving packets of most of the brands they carry and also sells baggies of however much you want of some of the other ones. So I tried a bunch of brands/flavors first so I didn't have to buy a huge container and then find out I didn't like it.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    PureProtein makes Whey Protein Light. GNC makes GNCLean Shakes (not as much protein though). I used EAS Whey Protein first, now I'm trying out Body Fortress...I'll probably try a few more until I settle on one I really like
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I have been reading up about protein shakes on and off for the last 6 months *sigh* But I haven't gone ahead and got any. But I think I might.

I found something called Lady Bug. it has all these other little fancy healthy bits to make your hair and nails better too. haha. I was going to try it at some point, not sure if it's only an Australian one though. I want to start lifting more weights.
  • twnzmom
    twnzmom Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My daughter and son in law turned me onto the Biggest Loser Designer Whey Protein powder. Its' 50 calories in the level scoop. I make a smoothie out it with 1 scoop powder, 4 oz. water, weight watchers yogurt, (any flavor), 3/4 cup for frozen strawberries, 1 small banana. Its under 300 calories, I drink 1 for breakfast it helps me get started, I can't eat first thing in the am so this works for me. I found it at Martins Grocery store( Giant)
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    This is what I bought today:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortress-Super-Advanced-Whey-Protein-Chocolate-Peanut-Butter-Supplement-2-Lb/13274590

This is what I hear is the BEST flavor (going to buy it next time):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortress-Super-Advanced-Whey-Protein-Cookies-N-Cr-Me-Protein-Supplement-2-lb/10322371

Awesome price, 130 calories/scoop. And it's got a good enough flavor to make with water.

oh god thats what i been using lately the peanut butter chocolate one it is beyond yummy especially when mae with almond milk, screw mcdonalds this is better
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You can buy the kind that is for boys, but drink it out of a pink or purple container.