Lack of nutrition? unable to sleep properly

Options
8 days into dieting on MFP. Has anyone experienced the confusion of your body wanting food but no hunger pains? After a 1000 calorie workout and only consuming 2000 calories I felt empty, restless and felt i didnt have any energy when going to bed. But i struggled through and now looking forward to a nice breakfast

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    The minimum net calorie intake recommended is 1200 calories. You are a male, so it should be higher.
  • ginacarrmba
    ginacarrmba Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is hard to address without knowing more about the content of the 2000 calories. I have found that eating a whole food, plant-based diet provides a great deal of "fullness." I don't have the restlessness or emptiness any longer. I sleep much better. Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    8 days into dieting on MFP. Has anyone experienced the confusion of your body wanting food but no hunger pains? After a 1000 calorie workout and only consuming 2000 calories I felt empty, restless and felt i didnt have any energy when going to bed. But i struggled through and now looking forward to a nice breakfast

What were you doing that you think burned 1000 cals?
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    How many of those 1000 calorie exercise days have you done? I found that not having a good sleep is a side effect of too much exercise. When I was focused on weight loss, I did have a lot of days like you mentioned. even now my stomach seems to just shut off after a big exercise day. I make up for it the next day though :)
  • TheRunningman1985
    TheRunningman1985 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    How many of those 1000 calorie exercise days have you done? I found that not having a good sleep is a side effect of too much exercise. When I was focused on weight loss, I did have a lot of days like you mentioned. even now my stomach seems to just shut off after a big exercise day. I make up for it the next day though :)

Ive done 3 days I usually keep it at the 750 mark. I lost 8 stone (stone a month) 2 years ago through running alone everyday. I dont want to go through the injuries etc so im now trying to compensate what i was doing 2 years ago in the gym hence the 1000 calorie workout.
  • TheRunningman1985
    Options

What were you doing that you think burned 1000 cals?

My Tom Tom multi sport watch tells me the burned calories

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

Ive done 3 days I usually keep it at the 750 mark. I lost 8 stone (stone a month) 2 years ago through running alone everyday. I dont want to go through the injuries etc so im now trying to compensate what i was doing 2 years ago in the gym hence the 1000 calorie workout.

I don't see anything wrong with the 1000 calorie workout. Just when you get like this, try taking a day off and see if things are better the following day.
  • TheRunningman1985
    Options
    It is hard to address without knowing more about the content of the 2000 calories. I have found that eating a whole food, plant-based diet provides a great deal of "fullness." I don't have the restlessness or emptiness any longer. I sleep much better. Good luck.

The diet has been consistent of 3 meals a day breakfast is usually weetabix (2biscuits) with semi 200ml skimmed milk and fruit. Lunch: 200g stir fry mixed veg using 10ml of low cal oil. Dinner: 510g rainbow trout with 200g stir fry mixed veg using 10ml of low cal oil. Snacks: Hand full of plain Almonds and sultanas.

I think its a good diet?
  • TheRunningman1985
    Options
    The minimum net calorie intake recommended is 1200 calories. You are a male, so it should be higher.

Trying to loose a stone a month i think the recommended calories for males are 2500 cals but im sure thats to maintain your weight. MFP says i should consume 2383 cals a day to loose 2lbs a week which is safe weight to loose but i need a stone a month
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Trying to loose a stone a month i think the recommended calories for males are 2500 cals but im sure thats to maintain your weight. MFP says i should consume 2383 cals a day to loose 2lbs a week which is safe weight to loose but i need a stone a month

You're not going to lose 14 lb per month (3 lb/week) unless you're over 300 lb.

For MFP, it's 2383 calories PLUS your exercise burns to lose 2 lb/week, or 3383 calories if your 1k burn is accurate. Even if you were aiming for 3 per week because you are morbidly obese, it would only be 500 calories less than that, or eating 2883 calories.

Also, weight loss isn't a race. Your success is not measured in how fast you lose, it's measured in how well you keep it off after you do lose it. Even if you lose 5 lb/month you'll reach your goal in time.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Why do you NEED to lose a stone in a month?
  • TheRunningman1985
    Options

I think because I know it is possible so why wait around when you can reach your goals sooner. When you've been overweight most of your life and it makes you unhappy why not aim for your happiness sooner. I can be impatient at times so hanging around for years to reach your goals is not something i want to do
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I think because I know it is possible so why wait around when you can reach your goals sooner. When you've been overweight most of your life and it makes you unhappy why not aim for your happiness sooner. I can be impatient at times so hanging around for years to reach your goals is not something i want to do

You did it before but then gained it back... suggests how you did it wasn't sustainable, no?
  • TheRunningman1985
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

You're not going to lose 14 lb per month (3 lb/week) unless you're over 300 lb.

For MFP, it's 2383 calories PLUS your exercise burns to lose 2 lb/week, or 3383 calories if your 1k burn is accurate. Even if you were aiming for 3 per week because you are morbidly obese, it would only be 500 calories less than that, or eating 2883 calories.

Also, weight loss isn't a race. Your success is not measured in how fast you lose, it's measured in how well you keep it off after you do lose it. Even if you lose 5 lb/month you'll reach your goal in time.

Im glad you said that, gives me even more motivation to prove you wrong
  • TheRunningman1985
    Options

You did it before but then gained it back... suggests how you did it wasn't sustainable, no?

Not really i got relaxed, too happy, ate the wrong things, focused to much on work then back to square one. You live and learn and make mistakes
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Not really i got relaxed, too happy, ate the wrong things, focused to much on work then back to square one. You live and learn and make mistakes

But you don't wish to take the advice of any other people who have been in your position and been successful?
  • TheRunningman1985
    Options
    Believe me Im listening but I also know what is possible. I was 21st 6.4lbs 8 days ago since starting MFP. Today im 21st 3lbs I must be doing something right?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Believe me Im listening but I also know what is possible. I was 21st 6.4lbs 8 days ago since starting MFP. Today im 21st 3lbs I must be doing something right?

3 lbs in your first week is to be expected with water loss etc, but if you're not sleeping and think you may be lacking proper nutrition...? That doesn't sound 'right' to me.
  • TheRunningman1985
    Options

3 lbs in your first week is to be expected with water loss etc, but if you're not sleeping and think you may be lacking proper nutrition...? That doesn't sound 'right' to me.

Very true, could it just be the body trying to adjust to the new demands? Ill see how I feel by the end of next week.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's healthy. Losing weight too fast can lead to losing ALOT of muscle along with the fat. And many people do find that after an aggressively restrictive diet they subconsciously rebound afterward and in fact end up putting much of the weight back on. Hopefully you want to be healthy, not just skinnier.