need to get this off my chest

Options
i'm sick of hearing my husband ***** about how i'm "obsessed" with mfp! he's always talking out his *kitten* about healthy eating and exercising and how many calories one should burn in a day, most of what he says is way off and then he's far from a good example himself sitting there hoovering a bag of chips and 3 plates of biriyani plus 2 beers at night and not eating anything in the day and then saying playing cricket is enough exercise for him. i don't criticize him for what he eats or does, i don't count his calories or nag him to exercise (he's pretty thin already), i am only taking care of my own health. so what's his deal that he has to complain every time i log my calories and calculate my burn?
sometimes i feel like i get more support from strangers on the internet than i do from my husband. and i love him to death, i'm not mad at him, it just annoys the hell out of me especially when he knows that my doc recommended this site to me.

whew!
/vent

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I made a similar post a few days ago. It's tough when the people you care about don't seem supportive. There is lots of support to be found here on MFP though. Just do your thing, maybe he'll eventually start to "get it" when he sees the progress you're making.
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i certainly hope you're right. :-/
    you would think of all people he'd be the most supportive *sigh*
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    He needs a high five, in the face, with a chair
  • KippyBee
    KippyBee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with mirandamayhem ^^^
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Glad you were able to vent - and that you are going to keep going in spite of...that shows strength and determination, which are 2 of the things we need around here to keep going. Do what you feel you need to do to in order to request more support and less belittling from your husband, in your own time and your own way...just remember to continue to seek out support from others on your journey.

Best of luck to you.

Oh and...don't really slap him in the face with a chair...even though he might deserve it. LOL
  • kytte
    Options
    thanks guys, add me if you will so i can build a bigger support group. :)

i won't let him discourage me, it's just frustrating that he's not doing the opposite.

as for the high five in the face with a chair, i'll keep that in my fantasies only ^_~ lol
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Know it all family members can be a PITA!!!! What ever you do is never good enough for them!

Tell him to talk to your doc when he is being a Ba$$tard! Or you could ask him why he doesn't want you to get healthy? He may be wondering what else you may want to change and afraid it might be him or that your thinking of taking a hike for greener pastures. He may just need a bit of reassurance that your not about to wander.

Hang in there! We know what your up against and can commiserate! Come here when you need a friend to listen.

Hugs.
  • kytte
    Options
    it's weird you know because he likes me to be skinny like i was when we met, he doesn't like curvy girls. so you'd think he'd be all over me losing weight but i guess the when you put it that way with the "greener pastures" i can understand how he may feel threatened by it. i never thought about it that way, but regardless he'll just have to get over it and get used to guys givin me the elevator eyes when i get fit ;p
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I just posted a very similar topic, its good to know I'm not alone with the idiot husband. Mine thinks he fit and healthy but I'd love him to do my full work out with me just once so he'd have some understanding of what I'm putting myself through.
  • kytte
    Options
    Funnily enough I just posted a very similar topic, its good to know I'm not alone with the idiot husband. Mine thinks he fit and healthy but I'd love him to do my full work out with me just once so he'd have some understanding of what I'm putting myself through.

LOL whenever I want to exercise when he's home I have to go hide in the bedroom or else face his criticism of my routine. If I asked him to do it with me once he'd laugh in my face, but I get what you mean.
    let's not let the small minded men get the best of us ;)
  • fitbabe49
    fitbabe49 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think your husband might be jelous of mfp. The time you spend on here is the time you could be spending spoiling him......
    Also, subconsciously he might not like that you're getting slimmer and sexier therefor more attractive to other men.
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I almost have to log in secret so I don't hear his snide remarks. And oh if he catches me reading the information panel on a food product he scoffs. It hurts and I am glad we are not alone. It does help.
    He rolls his eye and says it is all ridiculous. *grrrrrrr*
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Sit him down and tell him exactly what you need and don't need from him and how it make you feel.
  • kytte
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I almost have to log in secret so I don't hear his snide remarks. And oh if he catches me reading the information panel on a food product he scoffs. It hurts and I am glad we are not alone. It does help.

TELL ME ABOUT IT!
    He does the exact same thing to me! And last week it was "are you going to end up like one of those obsessed calorie counters who whine 'nooo i can't eat that because it's 7 calories too many!'?
    yesterday he was rolling his eyes and commenting while i logged on mfp, and saying that all my calculations are wrong because "even a cheeseburger is like 1300 calories, yeah i should eat two of those before my big game tomorrow so i have more energy to burn off" and while logging my 1hr walk? "that's it? that's all you burned? LOL omg, i burn more calories than you when i play cricket!" finally i got pissed at him and i told him that my calculations are not incorrect, that i feel like i get more support from people on the internet than i do from him (which he scoffed at), and 1 hr of brisk walking is a lot for me, 300 calories is really great for me. then i showed him that the calculations for what he'd burn during a game of cricket and that his 1hr game isn't burning any more than my 1hr walk. BAM! stfu fool!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! :drinker:
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Im not in the same boat so much, I do have a neighbor and now former workout buddy that'd chew me out for how I'd eat and exercise it was all wrong. His best friend is a boxing trainer and knows EVERYTHING about working out and eating. (lol) I've lost and toned my 'friend' has gained about 30lbs, amazing what 6-12 sodas a day does and doing 100 situps (lifting shoulders off floor is not a situp) does for a body, oh and 3-5 plates at dinner.

thankfully my wife gives me a blank check for my fitness and diet. I do feel guilty though as I hear "Well you got to buy this this and this and I need stuff too" ugh. Than "You're melting away and Im not" yet she doesnt do anything about it. Blah blah blah /ventoff.

I think in the end we can all relate to your pains!
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

Than when you're rocking a sixpack you can poke him in the belly and scoff back. :D
  • kytte
    Options

Than when you're rocking a sixpack you can poke him in the belly and scoff back. :D

Precisely!! Right in the beer gut! LOL
  • psse01
    psse01 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have had the frustrating experience of being with an unsupportive, critical man. Everything was wrong...from the way I sliced tomatoes to the way I hung his shirts up in the closet...even the music I listened to (when he wasn't around...it was always his music when we were together). In retrospect I don't think he thought he was being critical...he just thought his way was the only way. He was just passing along the way he was treated growing up.
    As hard as it is to stay positive when you are feeling beat down by the one person who is supposed to have your back...try and remember that his need to criticize and control is HIS problem...not yours. Water off a duck's back!!
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    "like" lol