New Year's resolution? Have a plan of action to succeed

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Whenever I take on a new client or ask a gym member their purpose, they all give the basic answer "I want to lose weight and get fit."
But when asked how they are going to do it, many don't have a specific plan of action. So here is a basic way to create a specific plan of action:

1. Write it down and keep records (daily if possible)
Goal
Milestones
Daily schedule
Month to month schedule
Research to go to if you need help

2. Be specific in your planning
Know how you're going to achieve your goal
Set achievable way to do it
Implement plan consistently

3. Set measurable milestones
It may be weight loss per week (though it's not linear), it may be how much weight you can lift,
how far you want to run by then, what your clothing size is, etc. Don't get overzealous though.

4. Schedule how your day goes
If exercise is going to be part of it, MAKE A SPECIFIC TIME for it. Same with sleep, work, and
time with family or hobbies.

5. Put timelines on everything.
Don't lollygag on something like watching TV too long. It's easy to get lazy if one spends too much
time on not doing something conducive towards their goal.

6. Celebrate your successes
Small ones matter and help create confidence on other harder goals.

7. Know that there will be obstacles and deterrences and have a back up plan
Things aren't always in your control, so have options available in case this does happen. My kid
hasn't stayed home sick for a long time (almost 5 years now), but I do have a plan set aside if she
does. Same with party invitationals and eating out.

8. Don't stop till you make it!
If you follow your plan consistently, you should reach your goal. Even if you don't meet it at the
proposed timeline, DON'T STOP till you do!

Hope this helps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• RAmelia63
    RAmelia63 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well put!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    love it
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that specific planning like this may work for many, but if I'd had to do all that I'd never have started. Sometimes KISS is the better option.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that specific planning like this may work for many, but if I'd had to do all that I'd never have started. Sometimes KISS is the better option.

Understanding your personality type and working with it is a good way to go.

I'm into planning, so for me doing something rather like that suggested worked and was motivating, but so was breaking things down into mini changes -- that's how the milestones worked in my plan.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff, I know you mention back-up plans, but what advice would you give for re-evaluating plans? I think one of the biggest obstacles that people encounter is having a plan, but having it not be the right plan for them. I know @SideSteel recently wrote a blog about this, and certainly having a trainer to work with makes it easier to identify issues and tweak. But that doesn't tend to be the majority of people, and I think people have a tendency to give up when the plan doesn't work because they aren't sure how to go about fixing what isn't working. I know it's ultimately going to come down to the individual, but any suggestions for what people should consider or ask themselves when it comes to evaluating their plan?
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Understanding your personality type and working with it is a good way to go.

I'm into planning, so for me doing something rather like that suggested worked and was motivating, but so was breaking things down into mini changes -- that's how the milestones worked in my plan.

Agreed, it's horses for courses. I don't even know how much weight I've lost unless I look at my homepage, and couldn't tell you how much I weigh unless I'm standing on the scale (despite weighing daily!)

I guess it's because those details aren't important to me. What's important is that I'm eating the right amount of the right stuff to be healthy.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The KISS method would be:

Set a goal
    Know how much you have to consume daily to eat that goal
    Be consistent

Problem that I've found with it is that many people might find initial success, but then for some reason can't continue. Then they go back to regaining weight, etc.

Not everyone will agree with it. I'm talking about writing down a specific plan of action that may take an hour at most. Not much out of the day if you think about it. My most successful people (usually obese too), found this to be great because there was definition in what they were trying to achieve overall.
    But hey, it's a suggestion I offer since it's a job I've been doing for over 25 yrs now and have employed different strategies to help. Nothing wrong with getting free information that might be the difference for people who have been struggling for years.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Jennak87
    Jennak87 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff Do you have any advice for people who get bogged down and obsessed with the numbers on the scale? I do have a goal weight in mind, but I have a very obsessive personality and when I'm trying to lose weight, I find it hard to not weigh myself multiple times per day and I get really bogged down with tiny downward movements and upward fluctuations. I'd like to maybe limit myself to one weigh in day per month, but I'm concerned that will affect my motivation because I wont be able to see successes or take action if I'm not losing or gaining. I do go to the gym about 3 (sometimes 4) times per week, but I mainly go to spin classes so it's hard for me to set myself satisfying goals in relation to that. Any advice?
  • CurlyCockney
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Set a goal
    Be consistent

Problem that I've found with it is that many people might find initial success, but then for some reason can't continue. Then they go back to regaining weight, etc.

Not everyone will agree with it. I'm talking about writing down a specific plan of action that may take an hour at most. Not much out of the day if you think about it. My most successful people (usually obese too), found this to be great because there was definition in what they were trying to achieve overall.
    But hey, it's a suggestion I offer since it's a job I've been doing for over 25 yrs now and have employed different strategies to help. Nothing wrong with getting free information that might be the difference for people who have been struggling for years.

I did say that your method may work for many. I have no reason to doubt that you are very successful in your work, but surely part of that success is due to listening to your clients' needs and finding strategies and plans that they can stick to. I just cut out the middleman, because writing a plan would take me much longer than an hour and would cost me in other ways.

Anyway, I took your post to be trying to be helpful to potential new dieters, and I was just putting the point that if they find all that daunting they can still be successful (I maintained my weight from the only other diet I've been on for as long as you've been a fitness professional ;))
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Set a goal
    Be consistent

I did say that your method may work for many. I have no reason to doubt that you are very successful in your work, but surely part of that success is due to listening to your clients' needs and finding strategies and plans that they can stick to. I just cut out the middleman, because writing a plan would take me much longer than an hour and would cost me in other ways.

Anyway, I took your post to be trying to be helpful to potential new dieters, and I was just putting the point that if they find all that daunting they can still be successful (I maintained my weight from the only other diet I've been on for as long as you've been a fitness professional ;))
    If it works for you great, however I base success on percentages and there's an extreme gap between the successful and the failure when it comes to weight loss.
    I liken it to a ship without a rudder or driving to a destination with no mapped out plan. One can hit land or their destination ocassionally or eventually, but I feel (as well as other people who teach long term success) that having a goal with directives on how to achieve will be reached easier because there is information on can look back on to figure out why they stall, slow down, gain excessively, etc.
    Some CAN do it without needing much direction. Lots can't. Just look at all the threads on the forums and you'll see.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @ninerbuff Do you have any advice for people who get bogged down and obsessed with the numbers on the scale? I do have a goal weight in mind, but I have a very obsessive personality and when I'm trying to lose weight, I find it hard to not weigh myself multiple times per day and I get really bogged down with tiny downward movements and upward fluctuations. I'd like to maybe limit myself to one weigh in day per month, but I'm concerned that will affect my motivation because I wont be able to see successes or take action if I'm not losing or gaining. I do go to the gym about 3 (sometimes 4) times per week, but I mainly go to spin classes so it's hard for me to set myself satisfying goals in relation to that. Any advice?
    The scale is a tool and not always indicative of success. If you step on it, all it reads is your weight. What it doesn't say is WHAT kind of weight. And if you're doing it through out the day, water fluctuates hourly. So weight will go up and down. All I can tell you is if you're obsessive with it, you try not to let that be what defines your success. If you fit the clothes you want, like the way you look, people compliment you on your physique, then does it really matter much on what the scale actually says?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    @ninerbuff, I know you mention back-up plans, but what advice would you give for re-evaluating plans? I think one of the biggest obstacles that people encounter is having a plan, but having it not be the right plan for them. I know @SideSteel recently wrote a blog about this, and certainly having a trainer to work with makes it easier to identify issues and tweak. But that doesn't tend to be the majority of people, and I think people have a tendency to give up when the plan doesn't work because they aren't sure how to go about fixing what isn't working. I know it's ultimately going to come down to the individual, but any suggestions for what people should consider or ask themselves when it comes to evaluating their plan?
    It may depend because the more concise the record keeping is, the easier it is to identify what may be the issue itself. Revaluation is first going to come down to honesty with one's self. That will usually resolve the majority of issues. I would then look to see how much they've lost and in what time period. Fast loss will usually slow down much faster (unless one is obese or very overweight) because the body is quick to adjust. And lastly if it's really something that's tough to figure out, you ask people with knowledge and experience. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a professional. That's why the forums are a great resource for many.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    This sounds a lot like some of the steps for general project management (minus all the fun of getting stakeholders to agree :smiley: ) I particularly like the discussion about having backup plans. It's important on any major project to identify risks and decide in advance how you would deal with each one - mitigating it so the risk is unlikely to occur, and/or dealing with the risk when it occurs.

It's one of the key points of successful maintainers too, according to the NWCR. People who successfully lose and maintain have plans for how they will monitor their ongoing success and what they will do if they find they are regaining.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

I used to be the very same way...
    I personally find that weighing everyday is helpful... but only once... only first thing in the morning. I don`t get freaked out by the number anymore now that I have learned more about fluctuations, but that took time.
    One thing that helped me was tracking my weight TRENDS... there are some apps that are helpful with this.
    Also, I take my weight at the first of the month (Jan it was 198) and so every morning I weigh and think to myself Ì expect to see a number between 195-200`` As long as my number somewhere in there I am good.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    This sounds a lot like some of the steps for general project management (minus all the fun of getting stakeholders to agree :smiley: ) I particularly like the discussion about having backup plans. It's important on any major project to identify risks and decide in advance how you would deal with each one - mitigating it so the risk is unlikely to occur, and/or dealing with the risk when it occurs.

It's one of the key points of successful maintainers too, according to the NWCR. People who successfully lose and maintain have plans for how they will monitor their ongoing success and what they will do if they find they are regaining.
    I based this thread on that type of approach. I learned it, applied it and then applied it to my own PT for clients and giving them that "vision" and direction, has resulted in great success for many of them. I'm not a great originator. Just a good duplicator.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Ya, I am a project manager and I approve of the OP :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread! Thanks.

I was taught the SMART method of goal setting, and my counsellors insisted that weight goals are not the best (because they are not directly under my control). How much food I eat every day is a controllable measure, and MFP can certainly help with that.