Help - Question regarding calories burned for walking

Options
Does anyone have a calories burned number for walking on a treadmill at 4.3 MPH for 1 hour at an incline of 4.5

My closest generic exercise on here is walking 4.0 MPH which is 533 calories.
My HRM says 932 which seems high to me.
I have always used the generic number from here. Is it way too low?

Part 2 :

If it in fact is 932 calories??? Do I really have to eat those calories back? That's a lot of intake. I have been averaging a 3lb / week loss over the last 9 weeks and haven't eaten any of my calories back. I typically stay between 1200 and 1400 even though I am allowed 1500.

I'd love some opinions

BTW I am 43 and my current weight is 235. My HMR is a Polar. I usually keep my avg heart rate between 140 and 150 BPM. MY BMI is still around 32.

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Is your HRM a timex by any chance? They seem to have a tendency to double the calories burned. If it is indeed a Timex, then 533 seems ok (932 / 2 is 466 .. near-ish to 533).

Yeah, I think 932 is too high for 1 hr of walking. I personally can do 1 hr of jogging and hit under 700 calories, and jogging burns more than walking for me. So it feels high in my opinion.

I will -always- suggest to eat your calories back. But that is my suggestion based on research I've read, and only a suggestion. Follow what you'd like to do.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    They both sound wrong. For me, 4.3 mph is not that fast but it's kind of like a speedwalk...I could burn about 8 calories per minute which would add up to about 480 and then I would subtract my BMR which would be 60 and I'd end up with 420 calories. Your HRM sounds like it's calibrated wrong. Does it have your current age, sex, and weight put into it? If not, do that and see how the calories projected changes.

For now, I'd say just go with 6-8 calories per minute multiplied by 60 minutes.
  • vscuorzo
    vscuorzo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat my work out Calories - I try to stay between 1200 - 1400 calories as well. I go by what my Treadmill shows me, I couldn't find anything on this website either, the calories don't match up so I type over what they have to what my treadmill shows,
  • corgifan
    corgifan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    932 sounds WAY too high. For the average 150 pound person I've never seen a calorie estimate for activity above 800 an hour. That includes running a 10 min mile and swimming laps.

The 533 sounds a bit high, but with age, weight, and height it could be somewhat close.

I'd suggest looking at a lot of different calorie estimates and figuring out some sort of an average. At the least, the 932 sounds like it could hurt you if you based your intake on that number.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I'd say 932 sounds pretty high. In an hour of walking 4.3mph you walk 4.3 miles and a good way to estimate close to what you are burning is 100 calories/mile (of course it varies a bit based on weight) but according to my HRM I burn about 130 cal/mile. When I am walking it takes about 20 min to burn 130 cal or running it takes 12 min, but it is always pretty close to 130/mile. So 533 sounds like it might be pretty close depending on your weight. :-)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Do I really have to eat those calories back? That's a lot of intake. I have been averaging a 3lb / week loss over the last 9 weeks and haven't eaten any of my calories back. I typically stay between 1200 and 1400 even though I am allowed 1500.

If what you're doing is working for you, then keep doing it. 3 pounds per week is a great average loss. It's when you hit a plateau that you'll need to figure out what kinds of changes to make to get things moving again. At that point, you may need to consider eating your calories back or switching up your exercise routine.
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    TY MisterDubs303 for the link, what an excellent tool. According to that site according to my gradient of 4.5 degrees and my speed of 4.3 MPH for 60 minutes and my weight of 235, I burned exactly 1000 calories on my run/walk.

Still not sure I am convinced, but cool for me if I am burning 1000 every time I get on my treadmill. As long as I am losing 3lbs a week I am not complaining.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I walk at an incline of 15% at a speed of 3.0-3.5 for 30 minutes and I burn about 250-300 calories.

People who weigh more will burn more... and also if your in your fitness zone for most the time you will burn more then if your in your fat burning zone for most of the time(that last part was told to me by personal trainers at my gym, so I would tend to think thats correct).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    At 4.3 mph, 4.5% grade at weight of 235 pounds, you will burn 700-750 per hour. That's assuming you are not holding on to the handrails in any way for support.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    At 4.3 mph, 4.5% grade at weight of 235 pounds, you will burn 700-750 per hour. That's assuming you are not holding on to the handrails in any way for support.

What tool or formula did you use to calculate that?