When will it be enough???

Options
3 years ago I was in the best shape of my life. Was less than my goal wt, felt great, dropped almost 2 pant sizes and was fitting into small & xsmall clothes BUT......I still thought I was fat. Still wanted to lose more.

Here I am, about 35lbs heavier and I look back at pics and wonder why I wasn't happy. It makes me worry as to when will enough be enough. When will I finally be happy in my own body.

anyone else struggle with this??

Replies

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I think everyone does. At least to some degree. But perhaps now that you realize it, next time will be different.

I'm working on being happy with maintaining what I have and enjoying it, instead of worrying about fixing perceived flaws.
  • 7books
    7books Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have. I'm 5'3" and at 133, I thought I was fat. Now when I look back, I think, "Damn...I looked great." I am hoping that this time around I have learned my lesson.
  • cncrabtree
    cncrabtree Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! But I have no answers of course. It's just nice to know we're not alone!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. Then rebounded. This time around I picked a weight I know I looked good at and that's my GW +/- 3#.
  • bsmayes719
    bsmayes719 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I struggled with it at 112 lbs years ago. I was anorexic for years. I always saw myself fat no matter how small. Even in size 0. I'm now on opposite end of it. With severe illness, I am double...240. So trying not to fall into anorexic unhealthy habits and lose weight with chronic illness.....its hard to get the not seeing yourself fat outta your head. I've never been able to. I his it away actually getting fat...its unhidden and hard to deal with now.
    Betty
  • saramatthews919
    saramatthews919 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Oh how I know this feeling sounds like BWD condition. You need to feel happy with yourself as well but there is light at the end of the tunnel
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this...I feel like I'm finally on the other side..but am not perfect. Loving yourself and who you are is part of the journey. We are all our own worst critics. Much love to you!
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think humans are somewhat wired to always want more...More stuff. Better this. Better that. I feel like there has to be an element of "choosing to accept" versus waiting for some moment of enough.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Katie_Y89 wrote: »
    3 years ago I was in the best shape of my life. Was less than my goal wt, felt great, dropped almost 2 pant sizes and was fitting into small & xsmall clothes BUT......I still thought I was fat. Still wanted to lose more.

Here I am, about 35lbs heavier and I look back at pics and wonder why I wasn't happy. It makes me worry as to when will enough be enough. When will I finally be happy in my own body.

anyone else struggle with this??

I've been at goal a couple times. It took me awhile to realize that my expectations were unrealistic. I will never have the "perfect" figure because I'm a pear. I cannot undo my body shape no matter how much weight I lose. People have different shapes (duh!).

Now my goal is losing weight for my health. I'm older so this is really important. I know I can do better
  • angietes2u
    angietes2u Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think humans are somewhat wired to always want more...More stuff. Better this. Better that. I feel like there has to be an element of "choosing to accept" versus waiting for some moment of enough.

Well said... You hit this spot on. We do need to accept ourselves "like" ourselves and then work to help make ourselves feel better IF that's what we really need. I want to be healthy and feel good and have more energy. I really have to stop looking at that number on the scale and just pay attention to how I'm feeling. I've seen my clothes getting baggier so something is working but the scale isn't saying different so I need to stop looking and go with it!! Let it be enough!!!

• Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    7books wrote: »
    I have. I'm 5'3" and at 133, I thought I was fat. Now when I look back, I think, "Damn...I looked great." I am hoping that this time around I have learned my lesson.

That was me exactly. I am the same height and was about the same weight. Now I look at the pics on my boyfriend's phone and wonderful why I was soo unhappy and hard on myself.
    I'd give almost anything to be that size again!!

• Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Katie_Y89 wrote: »
    7books wrote: »

That was me exactly. I am the same height and was about the same weight. Now I look at the pics on my boyfriend's phone and wonderful why I was soo unhappy and hard on myself.
    I'd give almost anything to be that size again!!

Correction:I WAS the same wt.
    For some reason it says I am.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    it's like you're inside my head! I spend 2 years getting from 154 down to 126, now been yoyoing between 126-131 for 8 months now and it drives me insane as I also wonder, when will I be happy? So I've come up with a new plan. I've hidden my scales away, I will weigh only once and month, as I'm realising the scale clearly isn't what matters, I don't go around telling people my weight, what I look like matters to me so I've picked up the weights in a serious way, and now it's about progress pics :) I know exercising makes me happy, so instead of worrying out the number, I'm focusing on getting lovely and toned. I know what I want my body to look like, and I am realising this is the way!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    can I also say I sympathise so much, it's a horrible feeling not being able to be happy with yourself even if your logical mind knows you're wearing an xsmall top and you look tiny compared to most of your peers, logic and self conscious rarely match up so I really hope you find a way to be happy xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think I may have been like this when I was 13. I never noticed it until now. I reached my goal weight 13 years ago when I was in junior high but I never felt like I was skinny at all. I also gained it all back because I had no idea what I was doing.

I have a feeling these two things aren't going to happen this time. :smile:

One can hope!