Winter walking?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I've been working on being a bit more active for the last few weeks, but the weather has turned sharply cold. It's supposed to hit -10 tomorrow, and the wind, snow, and icey patches have all started to pick up the pace. I have access to a gym, but I really prefer to be outside. The only problem is my legs get so cold when it's below zero, and I worry about slipping on ice. My boots always give me blisters if I walk too far in them, too.

I was wondering if there's anything you do to keep walking outside in the winter? I know that travelling to the gym will be a challenge in the cold/icy/snowy weather.

Replies

• 1155fitnesspal
    1155fitnesspal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I make a course in my house running up and down the stairs....its a way to keep moving. Good old jogging in place and dancing like a wild person gets the cardio moving
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have a great pair of snow walking shoes (I have had mine for a few years. These are the current model: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88397?feat=506708-GN2&page=women-s-snow-sneakers-3-mid-lace-up ). If there is a lot of snow and/or ice I wear traction footwear (my current favorite is Kahtoola nanospikes). To keep my legs warm, I usually wear a pair of cuddle duds leggings under sweat pants or jeans but when the temps drop to closer to 0° or below I will wear a pair of thermal underwear. I am especially happy with duofold. It is a combination of wool and polypropylene and does a great job of keeping me warm along with wicking any sweat away so I don't get chilled.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ice cleats are nice. They make several kinds where you can stretch them over whatever footwear you like. It makes wearing sneakers all year round very doable, but you'd need to wear very warm socks!

I run outside all year round and it IS doable as long as you're dressed for it/have the right equipment. That said, accept that there WILL be days where staying inside is best. Temps as low as -10 would be one of those days, imo.
  • kiela64
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »
    Ice cleats are nice. They make several kinds where you can stretch them over whatever footwear you like. It makes wearing sneakers all year round very doable, but you'd need to wear very warm socks!

I run outside all year round and it IS doable as long as you're dressed for it/have the right equipment. That said, accept that there WILL be days where staying inside is best. Temps as low as -10 would be one of those days, imo.

Aw darn, it's only going to get colder until around March. We're not going to see many days at zero or even -5 for a while. It generally stays between -10 and -25 here. Luckily we don't get temperatures in the -40's (I don't think I'll ever move north bc of that) but it's still plenty cold enough for me to get scared of the outside.
  • kiela64
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I have a great pair of snow walking shoes (I have had mine for a few years. These are the current model: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88397?feat=506708-GN2&page=women-s-snow-sneakers-3-mid-lace-up ). If there is a lot of snow and/or ice I wear traction footwear (my current favorite is Kahtoola nanospikes). To keep my legs warm, I usually wear a pair of cuddle duds leggings under sweat pants or jeans but when the temps drop to closer to 0° or below I will wear a pair of thermal underwear. I am especially happy with duofold. It is a combination of wool and polypropylene and does a great job of keeping me warm along with wicking any sweat away so I don't get chilled.

Thanks! I definitely need to find some of that thermal underwear. I have no idea where to get it, I've seen it in bargain bins before, but as soon as I've started looking for it I can't seem to find it! :disappointed:
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For the pants, you could try wearing tights or yoga pants under sweatpants, or thermal underwear. Are you in Canada?

For boots, i love my Merrits boots; got them 50% off the regular price. Now that I know how awesome they are, I won't hesitate to buy them even if they are full price, in the future. I wear them for walking, snowshoeing, and horsebackriding all winter.

I also prefer to be outside, and don't mind snowshoeing until it gets colder than -25C or so.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »

Thanks! I definitely need to find some of that thermal underwear. I have no idea where to get it, I've seen it in bargain bins before, but as soon as I've started looking for it I can't seem to find it! :disappointed:

Do you have any place like Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply? These are companies that cater to farmers and outdoors workers. I get mine there since they are usually less expensive than the department stores or outdoor supply places. You can also go on Amazon and search for "duofold thermal underwear". I always buy men's because they tens to be cheaper than women's for the same thing (except the extra "vent" in front).
  • kiela64
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    For the pants, you could try wearing tights or yoga pants under sweatpants, or thermal underwear. Are you in Canada?

For boots, i love my Merrits boots; got them 50% off the regular price. Now that I know how awesome they are, I won't hesitate to buy them even if they are full price, in the future. I wear them for walking, snowshoeing, and horsebackriding all winter.

I also prefer to be outside, and don't mind snowshoeing until it gets colder than -25C or so.

Yep, but in southern Ontario. I know in the rest of the country people are like "psh they don't get real winter" haha. I've tried wearing leggings under my pants but it's sooo uncomfortable, and there's just so much static. Maybe if my pants were a bit bigger on me it would be ok.

That's good! I'll keep an eye out for them, then. I have the worst time with boots, I've never had a pair that don't give me blisters :neutral: Last year I got those Blundstone boots because they were supposed to be really good & the salesperson said that they'd mould to my feet and not give me blisters. Nope. A year later, still kills me.

Do you have any place like Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply? These are companies that cater to farmers and outdoors workers. I get mine there since they are usually less expensive than the department stores or outdoor supply places. You can also go on Amazon and search for "duofold thermal underwear". I always buy men's because they tens to be cheaper than women's for the same thing (except the extra "vent" in front).

I have never seen anything like those, unfortunately. We have Mark's Work Wearhouse? But I think that's a suit shop, just a pithy name. I'm so afraid of buying clothes on amazon because I don't know if it's the right size. Comments always say stuff like "I got a M and it fits like an XXL" or "I got an L and it fits like an S!" Have you had good luck with the sizing?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »

Yep, but in southern Ontario. I know in the rest of the country people are like "psh they don't get real winter" haha. I've tried wearing leggings under my pants but it's sooo uncomfortable, and there's just so much static. Maybe if my pants were a bit bigger on me it would be ok.

That's good! I'll keep an eye out for them, then. I have the worst time with boots, I've never had a pair that don't give me blisters :neutral: Last year I got those Blundstone boots because they were supposed to be really good & the salesperson said that they'd mould to my feet and not give me blisters. Nope. A year later, still kills me.

I have never seen anything like those, unfortunately. We have Mark's Work Wearhouse? But I think that's a suit shop, just a pithy name. I'm so afraid of buying clothes on amazon because I don't know if it's the right size. Comments always say stuff like "I got a M and it fits like an XXL" or "I got an L and it fits like an S!" Have you had good luck with the sizing?

Yes I have.
  • jeny2a
    jeny2a Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been working on being a bit more active for the last few weeks, but the weather has turned sharply cold. It's supposed to hit -10 tomorrow, and the wind, snow, and icey patches have all started to pick up the pace. I have access to a gym, but I really prefer to be outside. The only problem is my legs get so cold when it's below zero, and I worry about slipping on ice. My boots always give me blisters if I walk too far in them, too.

I was wondering if there's anything you do to keep walking outside in the winter? I know that travelling to the gym will be a challenge in the cold/icy/snowy weather.

My warm fancy boots always help me to overcome frost and cold, with their help my feet don't get wet. That's why I'm not afraid of changing weather and I can go where I want to
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you're in Canada join MEC and buy some merino wool base layer items, they're not very expensive, light weight & toasty warm We deal with -30 (and worse) weather here in Ottawa and I run outside all year 'round.

If your boots give you blisters get boots that fit properly (or try 2 layer running socks). When I'm running I go out in regular running shoes, for walking on the bike paths or hiking in the bush I wear Sorel Caribou boots 9the ones with the wool liner rather than felt - it stays warmer even if wet) and Sorel has them on sale right now (I just ordered a replacement pair for my trusty 10 year old ones that need to be retired)

To reduce the risk of slipping obviously watch your foot placement but also shorten your stride a bit, your forward foot should not extend very far in front of your hips - improves your balance (and running form)
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Minnesota but I'm a wimp in the cold. At those temps I'd need good boots, snow pants, a multi-layer coat with gussets and a fur lined collar and hat, thermal underwear, multiple layers of socks, a balaclava and goggles.

I'd still go, though. :)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I live in Minnesota. I walk year round outside. The coldest it has been when I walked outside was -30F with a wind chill factor near -60. Sorel boots, layered clothing and keep moving. It really isn't that bad when you dress for it. In fact, I actually prefer walking in the cold over the hot, humid weather of summer.
  • kiela64
    Options
    If you're in Canada join MEC and buy some merino wool base layer items, they're not very expensive, light weight & toasty warm We deal with -30 (and worse) weather here in Ottawa and I run outside all year 'round.

If your boots give you blisters get boots that fit properly (or try 2 layer running socks). When I'm running I go out in regular running shoes, for walking on the bike paths or hiking in the bush I wear Sorel Caribou boots 9the ones with the wool liner rather than felt - it stays warmer even if wet) and Sorel has them on sale right now (I just ordered a replacement pair for my trusty 10 year old ones that need to be retired)

To reduce the risk of slipping obviously watch your foot placement but also shorten your stride a bit, your forward foot should not extend very far in front of your hips - improves your balance (and running form)

Finding boots that fit has actually never happened. These were the only boots in the whole store that actually went on & weren't gigantic. I'm convinced now that I must just have really abnormally shaped feet, but winter boots have always given me blisters in some way. I already wear 2 layers of thick socks, and still I get blisters lol. I will keep an eye out for Sorel though! thanks :) (totally not moving to Ottawa just yet, I think the coldest it gets here is -25 lol).

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Runners world had an article with suggestions for keeping warm that would be applicable to walking, too. See if it helps: http://www.runnersworld.com/cold-weather-running/10-tips-for-running-in-the-cold
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You should also buy a scarf you can pull over your mouth or other thing you can breath through. Breathing cold air while running or doing other exercise can cause exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Where I live it's currently -21 C (-5.8 F ) and I use a scarf to breath through while walking, it makes breathing much easier.