Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    elainacj wrote: »
    How can I buy healthy foods if its to expensive

Health care for chronic illnesses is expensive too. :smile:

But to answer your question... too expensive relative to what? Eating out? Eating fast food? Eating packaged convenience foods?
    Buy frozen vegetables in bulk. Places like Sams Club or Costco are a good option. You can buy beans, brown rice, quinoa, vegetables, dairy, virtually anything you need to eat healthy.

Eating healthy is cheap if you're willing to prepare some food. Eating out is expensive. Eating packaged convenience foods is actually more expensive eating whole foods that you prepare.

We buy a lot on the weekend, and then prepare a few things ahead of time. Usually hubs and I each prepare something that will last a few days/few meals. Mine are usually crockpot meals.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lots of tips out there.

Buy fruits & veggies in season. Buy bags of apples & oranges. Bananas are cheap.
    http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/what-fruits-and-vegetables-are-in-season

Buy fruits & veggies from the frozen food section

Cheap healthy foods:
    Oats
    Potatoes
    Eggs
    Rice
    Whole grain pasta
    peanut butter
    Beans, lentils (soak your own)
    canned tuna
    canned tomatoes (jarred sauce)
    Spinach

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/cheap-healthy-15-nutritious-foods-about-2-dollars

Do you have an Aldi store near you? They have great prices on produce. I look for "manager's special" meats. Whole chicken and chicken thighs are cheaper than breast. Both are excellent protein sources.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen veggies instead of fresh. They are cheaper and sometimes more nutritious than fresh. Canned is ok too.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Canned beans = cheap. Learn to love them. Good for your heart.
    Buy a can of soup with beans, cook some brown rice and add an extra can of beans. A big cheap meal with left overs for lunch.
    Frozen chicken breasts are pretty cheap and easy to cook. Side of frozen veggies.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I lost and kept off 30lbs as a skint uni student (loan did not even cover rent) so it can be done!

Stores like Aldi/Morrisons do great deals on fruit and veg if you have either of those near you. Check out supermarkets' reduced sections at the end of the day. Beans, oats, eggs, potatoes and other root veg, rice, and things like lentils are cheap and can bulk out meals. Plan your meals for the week before you get to the supermarket so you're only buying what you need. Supermarket own brand items are often just as good as the higher-end stuff. Make meals which you can portion up and freeze. You may need to reduce portion sizes of things like meats and cheese, and perhaps get used to different items (cheaper cuts of meat like cheeks for stews and casseroles, or buying whole chickens to roast and divide up rather than just breasts, for example).
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    • Write a grocery list before you go to the store- Make a tight budget and stick with it!
    • Coupons, you can usually combine manufacturer coupons with store coupons when the item is on sale.
    • For the foods you use everyday buy in bulk when it is on sale.
    • Buy dried beans (not cans) and rice, you can cook a lot at once in a crockpot and eat it during the week.
    • Only buy fruits and veggies when they are in season.
    • I bulk buy meat around the holidays when it is super cheap and freeze it for later.
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I would love to follow a paleo keto way of eating right now but we just can't afford it. So I am doing the best I can with what I can afford.

Dried beans are cheaper than cans.
    Meat is expensive so buy on sale and plan your portions carefully. Supplement with offal like chicken hearts, beef heart, liver or kidneys. Some grocery stores will grind it up for you so you can mix it with ground beef. You can also add beans to stretch meat.
    Vegetables and fruit are cheap when compared to dollar menu items. Look for the lowest price per oz, sometimes its a 5lb bag of potatoes, but that WILL last you awhile.
    Frozen fruits and veggies are good too.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    elainacj wrote: »
    How can I buy healthy foods if its to expensive

find out when local stores mark down their expiring stock - 3.30 pm for one near me.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies. Only buy cabbage fresh now.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If you are in the uk Iceland do 2kg of fresh chicken breast for £10. I was amazed by this deal!