Help! Shakes- Where Do I Start?

Options
I want to incorporate a shake into my daily diet to help with weight-loss but I don't know where to start. I want something low calories, high protein to replace or supplement breakfast (in addition to an apple or the like) that will get me through to lunch.

Anyone have good shakes they use that don't cost an arm and a leg? I'd rather not spend more than $1-$1.75 per shake (or equivalent of powder).

Replies

• JcVape
    JcVape Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    check out myprotein, no idea what service is like to the USA but in the UK its quick, decent & cheap, they do also have meal replacement options and loads of special offers, best bet is go for a relatively neutral flavour rather than something fancy as I find those get pretty tiring pretty fast. I use the Iso:Pro 97 because it is low lactose whey, but they have loads of other, cheaper options (like the impact whey or brown rice protein) and they might have some decent offers on something you want.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i prefer to eat my food.

careful with the shakes- some of them are pretty calorie heavy
  • JcVape
    Options
    i prefer to eat my food.

She is right though, where possible eat your nutrition, I just find the whey handy. It isn't a magic bullet that will make you laugh, make you cry & change your life, it is protein, just like there is in legumes, eggs, dairy, fish and meat, try getting some soya/ edamame beans and blending them up with berries bananas and kale/ spinach and you have a complete protein source as well as all the micro nutrients little bit of cashew butter and you have a fantastic breakfast in there somewhere!
  • JcVape
    Options
    also get a blender, it makes life easier!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Start with a protein BAR. That way you can see if you can tolerate the taste of protein. Walmart sells a few kinds. You can buy just one at a time.
    Don't do shakes like carnation or slim fast. Full of sugar
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Not an expert here, but this is what I do 2-3x a week.

I Vitamix:
    - 1cup fresh kale/spinach
    - 2scoops Optimum Nutrition whey Mocha Capuccino powder
    - lots of ice, some water
    I take this drink w/ me to the gym, and drink it when I run errands afterwards, so I don't eat my arm off or buy every junk item from the supermarket.

I like the ON vanilla for my green pina colada shake (spinach/frozen pineapple chunks/coconut butter).
    or ON Rocky Road with PB2.

Sometimes I replace the kale/spinach w/ frozen chunks of zucchini or summer squash.

I try not to use too much banana/strawberries, fruit ==>> too much sugar/carbs.

I buy the ON in 5# tubs when they go on sale.

Amanda
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I get big purple tubs from Walmart for about $20. Two scoops is 150 calories, 25g protein, 3G fiber, and 7g sugar. It's loaded with vitamins too. It's called EAS complete protein powder, and it comes in chocolate and vanilla.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My fav...taste wise... is body logix. Both choc and vanilla. Sold at meijer and online...$26 for a large tub. Less than $1 per scoop. 120-130 cals per scoop depending on flavor.

I like it mixed with water, but if i want a meal replacement, i blend it with a bananna (100cals approx), 1 large handfull of spinach or kale (20 cals). Approx 345 cals

i dont generally replace meals with shakes..no matter the calorie count they dont keep me as full as the equivalent calories in food. But i understand the appeal.

To compare that calorie wise...if im doing fast food for breakfast, i eat an egg white delight and a hashbrown for 400, or 315 if i take off half the english muffin.
  • meadhbh7
    meadhbh7 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks all! I do prefer to eat my calories but I find I do not sit down and eat a breakfast in the morning (even a cereal bar etc). Thought I would give a shake a try to ensure I am getting protein and realizing I need to keep careful watch on the calories /sugar.

I appreciate the feedback! :)
  • jafranco
    jafranco Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/hexatein-sr-rich-chocolate-3-lb-powder/vs-2617#.VoiasLYrJdg
    I do not always have the luxury of having a good lunch or breakfast because of my work schedule and this has helped me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes as a filling snack. I like Pure Protein vanilla & add fruit & cinnamon. I also like Atkins ready to drink shakes for when I'm on the ho. Most shakes are not low cal because all protein has 4 cals per gram. A protein shake is not meal replacement because there are no other nutrients in meaningful amounts.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i used to have protein shakes for breakfast every morning and now I just have them occasionally. Mine would consist of: 1 cup almond milk, 75g of banana, a big handful of spinach, PB2 (1-2tablespoons), 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (from Costco), and some ice. It was somewhere around 230-250 calories.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Why do you think that blending up your food and drinking it would help with weight loss?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    i prefer to eat my food.

This.

Those breakfast biscuits they do now are good for a breakfast on-the-go.

Or a quick tub of Greek yoghurt if you need more protein.
  • meadhbh7
    meadhbh7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why do you think that blending up your food and drinking it would help with weight loss?

I don't prefer to "blend up my food" but sometimes I think a change of pace is what I need to refocus. Thanks for your helpful feedback! I understand not everyone wants to go the same route
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    The body doesn't recognize liquid calories the same as solid food.
    I don't know all the technical reasons, but you can browse PubMed for supportive studies.
    Better to eat the fruits & vegetables, as well as the eggs, peanut butter, chicken, etc.

If you really want a healthy shake, use frozen fruit instead of ice cream, regular fruit, maybe peanut butter or an
    egg or 2 for protein, flax meal ... basically healthy things that taste good together.
    Fiber is good both for slowing absorption & helping intestinal motility (did I put that delicately enough?), so do
    NOT juice things, just throw them in the blender.
  • soozey1
    soozey1 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    meadhbh7 wrote: »
    I want to incorporate a shake into my daily diet to help with weight-loss but I don't know where to start. I want something low calories, high protein to replace or supplement breakfast (in addition to an apple or the like) that will get me through to lunch.

Anyone have good shakes they use that don't cost an arm and a leg? I'd rather not spend more than $1-$1.75 per shake (or equivalent of powder).

I hope this helps, I just make my own for breakfast, to take to work after the gym.
    I have a Nutri-bullet.
    1 cup almond milk unsweetened
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup frozen blueberries
    1/2 frozen banana
    2 tablespoons chia seeds
    1/2 cup oats
    handful baby spinach
    1/2 tablespoon cacao
    1 tablespoon coconut oil.

All the goodness protein you need to start your day, I make mine the night before and eat with a spoon. I got the recipe from my Nutritionist, as all the packet one had ingredients that upset my stomach.
    The ingredients are not cheap but they will make a tonne of shakes and your body will love you for it. :smiley:
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Start with a protein BAR. That way you can see if you can tolerate the taste of protein. Walmart sells a few kinds. You can buy just one at a time.
    Don't do shakes like carnation or slim fast. Full of sugar

I've recently bought a few slim fast meal replacement shakes to supplement as my lunch because I work in a fast-paced environment and they are one gram of sugar.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of PHD diet whey, the cherry bakewell one tastes amazing and is under 100 calories a serving. It helps me on the days I haven't hit my protein goal.
    Also if you don't like doing breakfast you can skip it and it won't harm you.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I use the Phd Women Whey formula (available from Boots if you're in the UK - the only reason I pick the women's formula over the men's is it contains more iron which I am deficient in) in the Vanilla flavour. On mornings I'm rushing because I've been to the gym or for a run before work I mix up a serving of that with semi skimmed milk and fruit (usually a banana or berries) in my blender and drink in the shower/car/whilst trying to sort out my hair. They normally tide me over from about 7 until 10 or 11, usually by which time I can have a slice of toast or something at work. My shakes range from about 250-400 calories depending on what I stuff in them, and sometimes I make them the night before for convenience. I'm rarely hungry right after exercising so they just help me to save time and make sure I've had something substantial - there's no magic in the shakes themselves.