Healthy smoothies

Options
gemmacto
gemmacto Posts: 4 Member
Hey guys,
I don't usually have breakfast but want to try having a smoothie in the mornings. Anyone got any healthy, filling and tasty recipes?
Thanks

Replies

• hayburners05
    hayburners05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make a peanut butter banana smoothie that's filling and oh so yummy! In my ninja I add......
    2 cups silk almond milk unsweetened
    1/2 cup dannan vanilla yogurt
    1 whole medium banana
    2Tbls of PB2 ( powder peanut butter)
    2 pks Splenda or your choice of sweetner
    1 tsp vanilla

Blend till smooth and Enjoy
    Calories 260
  • rbluyz4
    rbluyz4 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    NutriBullet recipe:
    2 T plain whey powder - clean
    2C baby kale or baby spinach
    1 C berries
    2T chia seeds
    2T hemp hearts
    1.5 C vanilla almond milk
    1.5 C plain Greek yogurt.

Loaded with protein, fiber and low in carbs.
    Yummmm

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry in the morning, why are you going to try to have a "healthy" smoothie? To me, that is just ingesting calories that you don't really want and could save for later in the day.
  • KelpyG
    KelpyG Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you aren't hungry in the morning, why are you going to try to have a "healthy" smoothie? To me, that is just ingesting calories that you don't really want and could save for later

Except that if you eat breakfast you won't be as hungry later in the day. It is switching the timing of calories, not necessarily adding more. Studies have found that people are more glucose tolerant in the mornings, so I think it is generally a good idea to eat breakfast.

Whenever I personally have a smoothie for breakfast, I use a basic formula that I can adjust to what I have: 1 cup berries, 1/2 banana, 1 cup non-dairy milk, 50g greens, 1/2 cup yogurt. I have it with two hardboiled eggs though. I like to freeze the banana and berries to make the smoothie thicker. I also sometimes add a teaspoon of Chia or flax.

Good luck!

• gemmacto
    gemmacto Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't normally eat breakfast as I am often in a rush to get out the door in the mornings and a smoothie will be easy to drink on the way to uni/work. I also can't seem to face food so early in the morning.
    Thanks for the input guys, I'm definitely going to try them.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    KelpyG wrote: »
    If you aren't hungry in the morning, why are you going to try to have a "healthy" smoothie? To me, that is just ingesting calories that you don't really want and could save for later

Except that if you eat breakfast you won't be as hungry later in the day. It is switching the timing of calories, not necessarily adding more. Studies have found that people are more glucose tolerant in the mornings, so I think it is generally a good idea to eat breakfast.

Whenever I personally have a smoothie for breakfast, I use a basic formula that I can adjust to what I have: 1 cup berries, 1/2 banana, 1 cup non-dairy milk, 50g greens, 1/2 cup yogurt. I have it with two hardboiled eggs though. I like to freeze the banana and berries to make the smoothie thicker. I also sometimes add a teaspoon of Chia or flax.

Good luck!

That might work for you! I find eating breakfast makes me hungrier during the day. I feel more alert and have more even energy when I skip breakfast too. I prefer to eat later, and save calories for night time when I'm actually hungry - i also train at night so more food pre/post workout works for me.
  • ChickenPioPio
    ChickenPioPio Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also very busy in the mornings and not hungry but know it's important to have something. I make two days worth of smoothies every other night. This site was very helpful when I first started: http://simplegreensmoothies.com My recipes is similar to KelpyG's above, minus the yogurt. I often add chia seeds or flax seeds. Cinnamon and ginger are good too! And I add water since I'm not super hungry :smile: GOOD LUCK!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I am also very busy in the mornings and not hungry but know it's important to have something. I make two days worth of smoothies every other night. This site was very helpful when I first started: http://simplegreensmoothies.com My recipes is similar to KelpyG's above, minus the yogurt. I often add chia seeds or flax seeds. Cinnamon and ginger are good too! And I add water since I'm not super hungry :smile: GOOD LUCK!

It's not important.... If you're not hungry, don't eat!
  • ChickenPioPio
    ChickenPioPio Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is important because otherwise I get light headed and mad hungry before my lunch break.
  • risingstar89
    risingstar89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey you're talking to the smoothie queen over here! Yesterday I had a Pina Colada smoothie for breakfast: 1/2 cup of fresh pineapple, 1 table spoon of chia seeds, 6 cubes of ice 1/2 a banana, and 1/2 cup of vanilla coconut milk. I like the company so delicious. My favorite is the classic strawberry banana: 1/2 banana and 1 Chobani simply 100 strawberry Greek or a strawberry Greek of your choice. For liquid, add 1/4 cup of your choice of milk. Any one feel free to add me if you want. I love trying new smoothies and will swap recipies.
  • aalixandruh
    aalixandruh Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I always heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It is what jump starts your metabolism which will cause you to be hungrier throughout the day. But that's not a bad thing! You want your metabolism to be jump started. Put good into your body and you will get good out.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

I always heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It is what jump starts your metabolism which will cause you to be hungrier throughout the day. But that's not a bad thing! You want your metabolism to be jump started. Put good into your body and you will get good out.

It doesn't jump-start your metabolism. I put plenty of good in to my body.... I just wait a few hours after I get up. It works for me! If you feel better having breakfast (like @ChickenPioPio mentioned) have it, but don't think you have to because someone else said so.
  • aalixandruh
    aalixandruh Posts: 58 Member
    Options

It doesn't jump-start your metabolism. I put plenty of good in to my body.... I just wait a few hours after I get up. It works for me! If you feel better having breakfast (like @ChickenPioPio mentioned) have it, but don't think you have to because someone else said so.

I try to find reliable sources. I don't just listen to the first thing the first person I talk to says. I've had multiple doctors recommended it. I've attached a short article explaining. But hey, to each their own! Whatever makes you feel good throughout the day is what you should do. I didn't mean to offend you if I did.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-answers/food-and-nutrition/faq-20058449