Need LOW LOW Calorie Snack Ideas

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It comes down to portion size with a lot of foods. Look up in the database the amount of the food you want that is 50 calories or less and have that amount.
    Vegetables and fruits are often pretty low calorie - carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, cabbage, spinach, cucumber, tomato, zucchini, blackberries, blueberries, grapefruit, grapes, kiwi, peach, strawberries, tangerine, watermelon, half a banana, some apple slices
    Dill pickles are low calorie.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    It comes down to portion size with a lot of foods. Look up in the database the amount of the food you want that is 50 calories or less and have that amount.

Agree with this.

Also for things like ice cream, many lower cal versions are so simply because they've been whipped with air. So being half the calories of Ben & Jerry's volume for volume doesn't mean much when gram for gram they are virtually equivalents.
    Though I don't want to dismiss the power of 'seeming' to be getting more than you really are getting can have, the point here is just that it most often does come down to portion size, even among things that are marketed as being diet-friendly. Like the 100 calorie snack packs, all that's going on there is snack companies portioned out their snacks to appeal to dieters who would ordinarily skip over their product. There's no difference between the portioned out packs and buying them in bulk and portioning out 100 calories worth of that snack yourself. And that's a good thing to consider, that nothing should be off-limits or diet "unfriendly' if you just control your portions so they work for your needs and goals. And unless volume really has a lot of power over your perceptions, I see no reason to suffer through a big bowl of some diet-food overpriced concoction that tastes disgusting when eating the equivalent calories of a smaller portion of something you really enjoy eating would do.

But to add a few low low cal options I like:

Air-popped popcorn
    Hot cocoa (made with unsweetened cocoa which is very low calorie and sweetened with artificial sweetener)
    Sugar-free Jello
    Sugar-free syrup
    Sugar-free jelly
    Egg whites

Also you could eat your cereal with skim milk or almond milk or just snack on it dry. I eat dry Rice Krispies or Lucky Charms sometimes, these cereals are fortified and Rice Krispies especially is a good source of iron.
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Great ideas
  • vpowell1216
    vpowell1216 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have a sweet tooth, and I've found these fantastic Japanese candies at Wal-Mart called Hi-Chew. They are strawberry, apple and grape flavored. Serving size is eight pieces for 170 calories. I can have two or three pieces and be satisfied. Another great snack is unbuttered popcorn. I have a popper, so I buy the seeds in a jar rather than a microwave bag. Of course, the popcorn itself is bland -- until you add flavoring. In the same aisle at Wal-Mart, they sell these shakers of popcorn flavoring. You may have seen them at the movie theater as well. At any rate, the kettle corn flavor is my favorite because it gives the popcorn a sweet flavor. Just measure your four cups of popcorn and a couple tablespoons of flavor, and you've got a filling snack for 150 or so calories.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free Jello pudding cups are 50 calories per cup. I like chocolate best.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Breyer's No Sugar Vanilla ice cream. It is seriously creamy and does not taste like it has no sugar. 80 calories for a serving. Super yum!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    These are some great ideas. I needed to find this topic. I was super hungry after I had scrambled eggs for dinner, so I cut up a zucchini and stuffed it with tuna and some sprinkled cheese. That was satisfying. I try to keep some fresh veggies in the fridge for when I get a hankering. Oh, and some veggie dip cream cheese stuff.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Okay this is going to sound really weird, but a great alternative to cereal is baby cereal. Not really nutrient dense, but a ton of volume. 3 cups of gerber puffs are only 150 calories, which makes it a perfect snacking food.
  • hayburners05
    hayburners05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Apple slices and 2 TBLS of PB2 is a great snack.
    If not sure what PB2 is its a powder peanut butter that you can add water to and make peanut butter. I add it to my peanut butter and banana smoothies. In my store (Walmart) it's with the peanut butter.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    kmitchall wrote: »
    wow, this sounds awesome! I never heard of it, but will def look it up!!
    I like to eat artic zero ice cream! It has protein and fiber! 1/2 cup or 60 grams is 35 calories! They just put some new ones in our store that's strawberry, orange dreamsicle, and chocolate! Those are so good and taste like actual ice cream, but some are not so tasty lol. You just gotta let it set out for a few minutes and stir it up and it turns into the creamy texture! I also will put some in a sugar free ice cream cone and that's only about 15 extra calories.

It's really not...
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    kmitchall wrote: »
    wow, this sounds awesome! I never heard of it, but will def look it up!!
    I like to eat artic zero ice cream! It has protein and fiber! 1/2 cup or 60 grams is 35 calories! They just put some new ones in our store that's strawberry, orange dreamsicle, and chocolate! Those are so good and taste like actual ice cream, but some are not so tasty lol. You just gotta let it set out for a few minutes and stir it up and it turns into the creamy texture! I also will put some in a sugar free ice cream cone and that's only about 15 extra calories.

If you really like the idea of low-calorie ice-cream as a snack, why not invest in your own frozen youghurt maker? I am sure there must be some delish recipes out there and you can vary the taste as much as you like and keep it low-calorie with simple ingredients. You can add stuff like dark chocolate shavings, Pb2 (never eaten that but apparently Americans like it instead of peanut butter judging by the boards), whatever your imagination can come up with... Just log all ingredients and be mindful of the portions.
  • dirtycxer
    dirtycxer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cherry tomatoes are a great snack with lot's of healthy benefits.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Outshine frozen fruit or fruit & veggie bars are around 50 cals each and really good. Sugar free jello is 40 cals for the entire box, lol. Most lollipops...

For the most part, i plan everything into my day. Lately I've been making my own almond milk hot chocolate, a cup is just under 100 cals, takes awhile to drink, and covers the sweet tooth pretty well.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    light (artificially sweetened) yoplait is a bit more (90 calories), but fairly satisfying for the amount, and comes in a ton of flavors.
  • daniellewylie27
    daniellewylie27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sugar Snap Peas. Crunchy and sweet. We love to dip 'em in homemade hummus.
    Also, I just recently read somewhere that you can spritz your popcorn with water to make seasoning stick, and then season with cinnamon or nutritional yeast (taste like cheese) or whatever else is in the spice cabinet.
    And about roasted chickpeas... I'm sure you can find some recipes on the internet. I tried them twice. They're really good when they're fresh outta the oven, but they lose quality fast. I read that you can throw them in the freezer right away, and then put them back in the oven to crunch them up when you're ready, but I haven't tried it yet.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Make a box of sugar free pudding. Once set, Mix it with a tub of sugar free cool whip.

It gets the texture of a mouse. Yummy!
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    2 medium Granny Smith apples
    1 tbsp cinnamon
    1 tsp nutmeg
    2 tbsp Splenda® or Stevia®
    Water

Preparation
    Heat oven to 350 degrees.
    Slice apples into thin slices and place in a 9×9 baking dish or pie dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, and Splenda or Stevia. Mix so that all apples are coated. Place a small amount of water in the dish (about 1/4 in).
    Bake apples uncovered for 30 minutes or until apples are soft and break apart easily.

50 calories exactly :)
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    p.s 50 calories is really pushing it, try my 232 cal Chocolate Mug cake with Vanilla Yogurt I posted earlier - splurge lol
  • srujana_kanneganti
    srujana_kanneganti Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hot chocolate! Use sweetener and unsweetened almond or cashew milk to make it even more low calorie.