Just joined my fitness pal and not quite sure how it works...

Options
Mjg2016
Mjg2016 Posts: 27 Member
edited January 2016 in Introduce Yourself
I have just joined my fitness pal. I am overweight and need some support to lose weight.
I'm ashamed to admit it but I need to lose 95 lbs. My weight has just crept up over the years and I have got to get it off. I am miserable! I am hoping that this website will somehow help me accomplish this.
I just don't know how to use the website other than tracking my daily calorie intake.... Suggestions welcome.

Replies

• tinytib
    tinytib Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome. I would suggest you join the group Eat more to weigh less. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3817-eat-more-2-weigh-less
    There is some excellent, albeit sometimes technical information on how to really lose weight from some very committed and helpful people.
    Do you have anything to track your steps, like a Fitbit? That can be integrated into this site. You can also track other activity such as housework, gardening, bike-riding, etc, under the Exercise tab.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi OP. Enter your stats and your weekly goal into your profile. MFP will give you your calorie goal. Meanwhile get a food scale. You can get one for $10 to $20 from Amazon, Walmart etc.

Start logging everything, consistently and accurately. You will learn as you go - where do you waste calories? What foods kept you feeling full for awhile, and which leave you hungry in an hour? Tweak and continue.

Log your exercise and eat back half the calories, because MFP seems to overestimate calories.

Read the stickies at the top of each forum.

If you have a bad day where you make bad choices and go over your calories, learn from it, shake it off, and do better tomorrow. The only way you can fail is if you quit. This will be a long process, so patience is required.

Good luck!
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Just think about how you'll feel like on Valentine's day, maybe 10 lbs lighter already... You can't be ashamed of taking this step; most of us come here from a place where we want to change our bodies, be it gaining or losing or shaping
    Try finding some friends; they'll help with that little extra motivation and stuff: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1467607/post-here-if-you-want-more-friends#latest
    Browse the stickies on top of the 'Getting Started' board: Welcome to MFP/Most helpful posts.
    You've already discovered the communityso it's a good 2nd step after tracking calories.
    Welcome to MFP
  • Mjg2016
    Mjg2016 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your support!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    No shame necessary! That's how most folks, including myself, wind up here. I started with 110 to lose, and I'm down 65 since then (just getting back on track after the holiday stall, or it would be more).

If you have a smartphone (iPhone or Android. Not sure about other systems.) the mobile app makes it a thousand times easier.