My partner doesn't eat healthy

Options
So my partner doesn't eat healthy. It can be really difficult to plan meals for us because he just doesn't like to eat a lot of the healthy things I do, so I'm getting to that point where I guess we just aren't going to be eating dinner together anymore

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Don't make things "healthy" or "unhealthy". Is he going to turn down food that is prepared for him? There are plenty of ways to make things tasty - who wouldn't like roast vegetables for example?

Perhaps make dinner buffet style so he can serve himself and eat more of some things, less of others. If he doesn't like what you make, he can go hungry or make his own!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Can't you make the same entree with different side dishes? We make one meal. Each of the three of us eat differing amounts of each dish in the meal.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I make my meals separately from my husband.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Can't you make the same entree with different side dishes? We make one meal. Each of the three of us eat differing amounts of each dish in the meal.

This is the way we do things as well.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Partner can cook for himself then.... if he's picky that's what he gets lol.
  • massaoli
    massaoli Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You cannot change people, focus on you! I agree with the main dish and various side dishes idea. Good luck !
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    I understand how you are feeling. My husband is very picky and he hates chicken. I do end up making separate meals for us sometime.
  • Zellyrus
    Zellyrus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try the option of an added condiment for him. Like if you're having vegetables, he may be more into them with some ranch/sriracha/garlic salt, etc. You can keep yours healthy as you like.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

This is what we do. I may make steak with roasted veggies, baked potatoes and a dinner roll.
    I would personally load up on more veggies whereas my husband would take more dinner rolls and less veggies.
    Its about finding a balance and combination of foods that will work for everyone at your table.
    We have pizza every Friday. He may eat 4 slices while I will have one and a side salad.
    There's no bad or good foods. There's some that may be more nutrient dense then others though . so make a menu that appeals to everyone and adjust portions as needed.
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't either. He really needs to!! He is one of those skinny fat people. His poor eating habits have led him to have high cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure, and he's only 33. My poor eating habits have made me fat on the outside so the choice to make changes seemed more obvious to me, I guess. Sometimes I can sneak veggies in (like cauliflower in the mashed potatoes) without him knowing it. Mostly though, if I want to eat something I feel is healthy for me, and he doesn't want it, he can make himself something else. I refuse to be a short order cook for him or the babies.
  • stcampbel
    stcampbel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Lucia,
    I totally understand the frustration. I feel bad when we don't sit down to dinner together, not only because we have different dietary restrictions but also because he likes to eat later than I do.
    Since I try to batch cook for myself, I've done the same for him. So the days where I'm baking and parting out a chicken for me I'll also make a large batch of pasta sauce, chili, or whatever else and portion it out and freeze it for him. That way we can both eat what we want at a time that works for us. It's still not easy but it has helped a little. I wish you the best!
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Mine eats healthy at home because he eats what I cook for him and he eats the same as I do.
    He has a job that means he is out of the house a lot and I know he eats a lot of unhealthy food so when he is home I provide loads of vegetables and salad.
    But apart from that he is allowed to eat what he chooses to... last night he ate two muffins. Didn't even cross my mind to criticise or complain. He is a grown man who makes his own choices.
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Sometimes I can sneak veggies in (like cauliflower in the mashed potatoes) without him knowing it.

Wow!! I would never ever do that, sneaking around, seems deceitful to me.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Don't make things "healthy" or "unhealthy". Is he going to turn down food that is prepared for him? There are plenty of ways to make things tasty - who wouldn't like roast vegetables for example?

Perhaps make dinner buffet style so he can serve himself and eat more of some things, less of others. If he doesn't like what you make, he can go hungry or make his own!

My husband the Super Taster, that's who!

I do what some others do: I find a main dish we can both eat and prepare a different set of side dishes. I always stick with one main, one starch/grain, and 1 or 2 vegetables. I eat the veggies with my meal, he eats the rest without them.

It works for us!