Should I get a fitbit?

Options
I have been thinking about getting a fitbit, but I don't know if it is worth the cost. I have a vivofit now, but I never use it because it is very bulky and the wrist band irritates my skin. The heart rate monitor is fine, but I was thinking the fitbit that isn't a wrist watch would be more pleasant.

Has anyone found thier fitbit to actually aid in weightloss or has incouraged you to be more active?

Replies

• ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking to get a fitbit charge hr too. But as it will costs 24% of my monthly salary, I'm thinking 100 times now...
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love mine. But the I love all the stats, and I find the challenges really motivating. I got mine, started couch to 5k and signed on to mfp at the same time. I've a long way to go but I'm feeling fitter, just signed up for some 10k races, and am nearly halfway to my (considerable!) weight loss goal, since the middle of October. I have the Charge HR.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One. I don't wear anything on my wrist, and when I try I only last about 24 hours. The One is always on my waist area, unless I'm showering. (Then it goes on the charger for a few minutes a day.) For me it was very useful to put a measurable # on my activity. I credit it with opening my eyes. I knew I was sedentary, but never realized just how little I moved. Now Fitbit is just one of the tools I use to keep me on track. Its an essential one though!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit Flex for Christmas and so far I like it. The step count seems fairly accurate and the TDEE estimation it gives is basically exactly what I thought it should be as my weight has remained pretty stable for a long time. I like the data it gives (although some of it won't be interesting or useful to everyone) and it does keep me mindful about sitting for too long or taking the car when I really don't need to. I like gadgets, so it seems to work for me. It doesn't have a HR monitor function but I wasn't really interested in that so it's no loss to me.
  • willia123
    willia123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I got one and returned it. I guess I don't really care how many steps I'm taking a day etc. I just go for it and let the chips fall where they may. Not worth the money for me and I didn't find it to be comfortable
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I currently have the Fitbit ChargeHR, but previously I had the One. The One went with me everywhere, and really encouraged me to up my activity level. If evening came, and I hadn't gotten in my 10k steps, I went out for a walk after dinner until I hit my target. If I was close to another big level (15k, 20k, etc), I'd get up and move around until I hit that level. I'd find reasons to carry things upstairs, so I could get my step count up.

Why don't I still have it? As mentioned, it went everywhere with me. Unfortunately one of those times it was in my swimsuit pocket, and while on holiday, after a really hot walk up the hill from the beach, I jumped straight into the villa pool, forgetting about the One until I hit the water. I had been wanting a heart rate monitor, so that's why I've gone with the ChargeHR now, but I can highly recommend the One as well.

It will motivate you as much as you want it to. Good luck.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »
    I currently have the Fitbit ChargeHR, but previously I had the One. The One went with me everywhere, and really encouraged me to up my activity level. If evening came, and I hadn't gotten in my 10k steps, I went out for a walk after dinner until I hit my target. If I was close to another big level (15k, 20k, etc), I'd get up and move around until I hit that level. I'd find reasons to carry things upstairs, so I could get my step count up.

Why don't I still have it? As mentioned, it went everywhere with me. Unfortunately one of those times it was in my swimsuit pocket, and while on holiday, after a really hot walk up the hill from the beach, I jumped straight into the villa pool, forgetting about the One until I hit the water. I had been wanting a heart rate monitor, so that's why I've gone with the ChargeHR now, but I can highly recommend the One as well.

Heh, the same thing happened to my One. I plopped it right into the ocean.

• airforceman1979
    airforceman1979 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I had the force first and now the charge hr. I loved them both and it does help me with the calorie count sense almost no on is truly sedatary. I am a numbers person though and I look at the math side of wight lose.
  • CorineJudkins
    CorineJudkins Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was given a Flex yesterday and I must say, once I got it synced up right and saw all the things I could keep track of with my apps and Flex working together, this whole business of moving got a lot more interesting :smile:

I like visual cues and this is really nice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I got the Fitbit One for Christmas and it is indeed encouraging me to be more active. I like that it is encouraging me to go up more stairs in addition to taking more steps. It also confirms what everyone says about the MFP exercise burns being inflated by about double.

The sleep quality feature is not particularly helpful to me in terms of weight loss, but it is interesting.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I bought a Charge on Black Friday. I had previously made extensive fun of my husband for his "dork band", lol, but then I realized they made ones with watches! I wear a watch anyway, so I figured heck, might as well kill 2 birds with 1 expensive stone!

I like it. It encourages me to move more. It gave me a more accurate idea of how many calories I was burning. I got the Charge because I wanted a wristwatch. I did not get the HR because you have to charge it more often. If I were to do it again I would get the HR and charge it in the car since I'm not stepping then anyway.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit charge last year and it has been great for me. This year I got the Aria scale and I like it also
  • mmmx392076
    mmmx392076 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ise311 wrote: »
    I'm thinking to get a fitbit charge hr too. But as it will costs 24% of my monthly salary, I'm thinking 100 times now...

Look on eBay you can find them cheaper
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    flatlndr wrote: »

Heh, the same thing happened to my One. I plopped it right into the ocean.

I was so careful at the beach to make sure I had taken out of my pocket when I went into the water, but I was so hot after the walk back that all I could think of was running and jumping into the pool. Oops.
  • headfullofsongs
    headfullofsongs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I loved my Fitbits (Flex and Charge HR). I always found them to be accurate and very motivating. I had issues with the battery life, however. The Flex wasn't horrible, but I wasn't even getting a week out of my Charge. In their defense, they don't claim to get much more than that. Just be aware. Good luck!
  • Um12tlwr
    Um12tlwr Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have found my fitbit really informative and useful, it's also quite motivating having the little challenges to meet, but maybe that's just my personality! I just have a flex so I don't find it irritating on my wrist at all, but some of the more expensive ones are about as bulky as a watch.
    My dad is a fell runner and has one of the advanced ones with a GPS etc (I can't remember its name), he finds it invaluable.
  • destinyhope12345
    destinyhope12345 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use mine in the gym to keep track of steps on the treadmill as I wouldn't walk outside
  • hammergirl0801
    hammergirl0801 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I wore my husbands HR for a day and I HATED it. It was uncomfortable and completely inaccurate. I type a lot at work and it was logging steps while I was typing. Then I walked for 3 miles on the treadmill and sometimes I like to rest my arms up on the bar for a minute and it would not log those steps because my arms were not moving. I took it off that night and never put it back on again.