Feeling very discouraged!

Options
Yesterday was my first day to healthier eating, well low-carbing. I've had great success with it in the past, but I was terrible at maintenance.

Anyways, I was up all night with digestive issues, and I threw up before breakfast today at the thought of eating more bacon. So, I ate half a bag of pretzels & some leftover reese cups.

I feel much better now. No more nausea, just regrets.

I'm feeling very discouraged because I don't make much money, & I just threw $80 out of the window. None of the food I bought can be eaten on a low-calorie plan. I guess I'll freeze all of my meat for a rainy day.

I'm feeling intense pressure because my fiancé and I are both going on a two-week family vacation this summer, which includes a wedding. He is counting on low-calorie to lose weight and is doing wonderful. I, on the other hand, can't find my groove.

Sorry for the pity party rant.

I guess I just need some advice on what steps I need to take to start feeling better. My plan is to just cut back and get some exercise. I don't feel confident that I can lose a large amount of weight by doing just that. I need to lose around 100 pounds, easily. My fiancé has already lost 40 pounds in 2 months.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hi there ! Sorry your discouraged! Why can't you use the foods you bought as part of a low calorie plan ?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason that you need to do low carb?

If not, it doesn't sound like it's working for you? Why not just eat in a deficit?
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Maybe it wasn't the bacon but the grease that made you sick. Why not try counting calories like he is? Sounds like low carb wasn't sustainable for you. You can still do this.
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like food poisoning to me, throwing up is a very severe reaction. What did you eat that caused you to vomit?
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Even with low carb the calories matter. Just weigh and portion out the meats to a suitable calorie amount and include them with other foods to meet your goals.

100 lbs by summer is extreme though
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Sorry you fell ill... but the good news is that your money is not wasted. You can still eat the food you bought using MFP... I am down 80 lbs using MFP and I eat everything.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why can you not eat meat on a low calorie plan????
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You're money is not wasted. Why are you making yourself sick with a diet you mentioned you had trouble with in maintenance? Eat the food you bought, log it and stay in a calorie deficit. I had bacon and and egg white, cheese, and avocado omelet for 240 calories yesterday. If that's not low calorie/moderation I don't know what is.
  • Starfish_Pink
    Starfish_Pink Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said it might be the grease. I get stomach aches from heavy greased food. BTW if Low carb diet does work try something else. Dieting is about pickinga way of eating that works you. Not everyone is the same.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Does it need to be low carb? Why low carb?
    Why can't you use the foods you bought?

Eating at a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Since you lost weight in the past low carbing, but could not maintain after--what does that tell you? You need to look at a weight loss plan that you can stick to and maintain on afterwards. You have alot to lose and will have to be patient. Plug your stats into MFP, see how many calories you can eat a day and then stay within them. Get a digital food scale and start weighing and measuring everything you eat or drink. Watch the sauces and condiments especially since they can be calorie dense. Try to move as much as you can and log it into your daily excercise diary. MFP will atomatically give you more calories to eat that day. This is a life change and you have to decide to do it. Will it work---yes, if you commit. Best of luck to you. Losing weight doesn't have to be torture.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kaylakris7 wrote: »
    Yesterday was my first day to healthier eating, well low-carbing. I've had great success with it in the past, but I was terrible at maintenance.

Anyways, I was up all night with digestive issues, and I threw up before breakfast today at the thought of eating more bacon. So, I ate half a bag of pretzels & some leftover reese cups.

I feel much better now. No more nausea, just regrets.

I'm feeling very discouraged because I don't make much money, & I just threw $80 out of the window. None of the food I bought can be eaten on a low-calorie plan. I guess I'll freeze all of my meat for a rainy day.

I'm feeling intense pressure because my fiancé and I are both going on a two-week family vacation this summer, which includes a wedding. He is counting on low-calorie to lose weight and is doing wonderful. I, on the other hand, can't find my groove.

Sorry for the pity party rant.

I guess I just need some advice on what steps I need to take to start feeling better. My plan is to just cut back and get some exercise. I don't feel confident that I can lose a large amount of weight by doing just that. I need to lose around 100 pounds, easily. My fiancé has already lost 40 pounds in 2 months.

It sounds like food poisoning or too much food? How much bacon did you eat?

A low carb diet does not need to include bacon. There are low carb vegetarians who don't eat meat, and even LCHF vegans. If you want or need to eat low carb, eat the foods you like. Just restrict your carbs. I eat the same foods as my family but at dinner I would skip the potatoes and add some extra butter to my steamed veggies.

Also, when one cuts carbs water weight will be lost which will cause an electrolyte imbalance. If your sodium gets too low it can cause fatigue, headache, muscle aches and nausea, but I haven't seen someone be affected within 24 hours before... that could be it though. If you increase sodium/salt to 3000-5000mg per day, that will restore your electrolyte balance. Magnesium and potassium supplements will also help.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I lost 62.5 pounds in about 8 months. I need to lose about 30 more. I have learned a lot about myself during my weight loss. I have a lot more to learn. I have a better appreciation for why MFP does not support extreme dieting, or special pills and products. Truth be told, one must work through the issues that caused us to gain weight in the first place.

I used to think it was the fault of friends or a less than supportive family. Then I realized, why would I allow myself to develop sleep apnea, elevated blood pressure, a polyp, and a certain road to diabetes and possibly cancer.

I still struggle with taking responsibility for my health; however, I am more vigilant about not setting myself up for failure.

I wish you well. Your journey will truly be your own. What works for some does not work for all.
  • FindingLaurie
    FindingLaurie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My first reaction when I read your post was, that date-pressure (the upcoming trip/wedding) would do me in. Just forget about that. What is "worst" case--that you would be the exact same weight then as you are today? Fine. Focus for a little bit on finding something pretty/comfortable to wear for that time, at THIS weight, so you're covered no matter what progress you do or don't make by then.

And then just start making SMALL changes one at a time and moving a bit more, and you WILL be down some by the time your trip comes. (But even if you're not ... does it really matter in the big picture? Yes, you would LIKE to weigh less by then, but what's most important is that you go, spend time having fun and being with loved ones, and enjoying yourself no matter your weight.)

These mental changes are SO important, at least for me, in order for me to lose weight. I started at this time a year ago feeling like I *had* to lose 100 lbs in 1 year, because that was "only" 2 lbs a week. And when it wasn't happening on that time table, I started to get really frustrated and said "what's the use"? But thankfully, my trainer told me to forget about 100 lbs by whatever date. We worked on just what I said above--small changes, one at a time until they became habits, and exercising just 4 times a week--not even every day. And look at my profile photo above--that was after "only" 40 lbs lost! Nowhere near 100, yet look at the difference. I'm down another 12 since then.

I started out berating myself because I wasn't going to lose 100 lbs in a year (which seemed like forever when I started). But now I'm at a place of "holy cow, I'm down 52 lbs, looking and feeling SO much better, and I didn't even torture myself to do it!"

That mental adjustment is so important. Now I'm looking at taking 2 whole years to reach my goal--but who cares?!? Even if I lost no more this year, I'm already leaps and bounds ahead of where I was when I started. And there's been pizza, ice cream, cake, chips, you name it. It's just that I eat better than that the MAJORITY of the time now, and try not to beat myself up for being human when I slide.

Hope you found this helpful. You don't fail until you stop trying. :-) GOOD LUCK!!!

Laurie
  • FindingLaurie
    FindingLaurie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    p.s. Oh, and my husband weighs 135 lbs soaking wet. I can smell brownies and gain weight. That doesn't matter in the big picture, either. Try not to compare your progress to his, or anyone else's. Just do the best you can and keep going.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My first reaction when I read your post was, that date-pressure (the upcoming trip/wedding) would do me in. Just forget about that. What is "worst" case--that you would be the exact same weight then as you are today? Fine. Focus for a little bit on finding something pretty/comfortable to wear for that time, at THIS weight, so you're covered no matter what progress you do or don't make by then.

And then just start making SMALL changes one at a time and moving a bit more, and you WILL be down some by the time your trip comes. (But even if you're not ... does it really matter in the big picture? Yes, you would LIKE to weigh less by then, but what's most important is that you go, spend time having fun and being with loved ones, and enjoying yourself no matter your weight.)

These mental changes are SO important, at least for me, in order for me to lose weight. I started at this time a year ago feeling like I *had* to lose 100 lbs in 1 year, because that was "only" 2 lbs a week. And when it wasn't happening on that time table, I started to get really frustrated and said "what's the use"? But thankfully, my trainer told me to forget about 100 lbs by whatever date. We worked on just what I said above--small changes, one at a time until they became habits, and exercising just 4 times a week--not even every day. And look at my profile photo above--that was after "only" 40 lbs lost! Nowhere near 100, yet look at the difference. I'm down another 12 since then.

I started out berating myself because I wasn't going to lose 100 lbs in a year (which seemed like forever when I started). But now I'm at a place of "holy cow, I'm down 52 lbs, looking and feeling SO much better, and I didn't even torture myself to do it!"

That mental adjustment is so important. Now I'm looking at taking 2 whole years to reach my goal--but who cares?!? Even if I lost no more this year, I'm already leaps and bounds ahead of where I was when I started. And there's been pizza, ice cream, cake, chips, you name it. It's just that I eat better than that the MAJORITY of the time now, and try not to beat myself up for being human when I slide.

Hope you found this helpful. You don't fail until you stop trying. :-) GOOD LUCK!!!

Laurie

This This This... Such a great post.
    And true... My 80lbs has taken me 3 years... COULD i have done it quicker? Sure. Did I WANT to do it quicker? Absolutely... but this has worked for me.
    All the best to you OP. You have gotten some good feedback so far.
  • shopping4yogapants
    shopping4yogapants Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, girl! The hardest part of getting started!
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Laurie

This!!!!!
  • Marikanna
    Marikanna Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Every time something doesn't work is INFORMATION! "Well that's not the way I'm going to get it done." Regroup and make a new plan. You've got this!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Just don't quit.

Low carb isn't magic. It can help if you have certain metabolic issues.

What HAS worked for you in the past?

For me, I'm not super hungry first thing in the morning. If I have coffee I can put off real food for later. I eat frequently and usually have my heaviest meal/most calories in the evening. I've done low carb in the past and it worked for awhile, then it stopped working, then I gained the weight back quickly when I went back to my usual pattern.

I aim for moderate carbs overall, but do have treats/naughty stuff some. I've still lost about 10 pounds since Dec. 7 and that was with family meals, meals out, a couple of cheat days for Christmas, and a cheat "meal" for NYE. Heck, I'm about to go make Chicken Cacciatore.

I have lost 100 pounds in about 10 months previously, but that was on a supervised VLC diet; about 3 months on 800 calories a day and then around 1000 a day after that. Life happened...I regained about 15 and was alright with it, but then a big move and grief and I gained another 36 pounds.

Doing something more moderate this time, at least for me.

Oh, and pro tip...walk. Every day if you can, at least 30 minutes, but more is good too.