Women with PCOS

Options
I'm struggling to lose weight after having my son. He's 4 months old now, but I also have PCOS and it's been very difficult even losing 10 lbs. Are there any women with PCOS success stories that could give me some encouragement?

Replies

• agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am down a little over 50 lbs. I started out in August, with a massive calorie restriction (less than 1000 cals per day) while being medically monitored. Now I am mainly doing CICO.

Trying to stay right at or very near 1200 calories a day. I am trying to exercise 5-6 days a week and I find that eating every three hours smaller meals with protein and carbs seem to work best. I am also using the GI to help me make better food choices to stay more satisfied longer.

Good luck to you.
  • agzram
    Options
    @Pinklily26 also don't be to hard on yourself as a new mom. If you are nursing you need more calories for your little one too.

I have four little ones ranging in age from 7 years old to 1 year old and it's finally taken me 8ish years to get down to my pre pregnancy weight.

• Saboteurteehee
    Saboteurteehee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I've heard strength training, smart carbs, mini meals, and less sugar really helps. All have helped me but I've just never done all at once. :D Agzram- congratulations on your weight loss!!!
  • thebeginningofme2016
    Options
    This a good topic us ladies are talking about. You wouldn't believe how many people deal with PCOS. If you are dealing with it don't feel that you are by yourself. There are many females have that problem and still be successful. If any females want to contact me feel free to send me a message or add me. You can also contact me on facebook
  • vickisayswtf
    vickisayswtf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and it has been a very slow journey with my weight loss. It's taken me 2 years of "slow and steady", low carbs/more protein/high fiber, calorie restriction, and exercise 3-4 times a week, but I'm down 30 lbs now. I've got just over 10 lbs left to reach a healthy BMI range.

Just remember doing something like keeping just 10 lbs of weight off is moving your body in the right direction to controlling your PCOS symptoms. I chose the slow and steady approach, because I'm human and I make mistakes, but the point is to get back up again... and again...
  • nanefy
    nanefy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS and have lost 76lbs over the last 7 months doing Keto. Keto is great for PCOS symptoms and Keto is the absolute easiest lifestyle change I've tried - I'm Keto for life now.
    Check out /r/Keto on Reddit for more information :)
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would also like to see success stories with fellow cysters too, I've always wanted a toned body and always get stuck, feeling as though my PCOS holds me back from what I really want to achieve. I know it takes more effort than the average person to get there, but we can do it! Currently, I'm doing a crossfit at home, going dairy free, and trying to make sure my macros are in check to keep my insulin levels where they should be.
  • Saboteurteehee
    Options
    Way to go nanfey and vickisayswtf!!!!
  • thebeginningofme2016
    Options
    First females we have to make sure we eating the best and healthiest food. What we eat have a lot to do with are PCOS. Like for example if you smoke ciggretts yoh should give them up regardless if you going through PCOS or not. They just not no good for us at all. Then next we should be test and make sure your not pregnant by taking a blood pregnancy test. You also can request to get your fish and hormone levels check. You should also be tested for any other type of illness especially if your period has stoped completely and you now it still suppose to come on. It's help out there for each female you just have to seek it. You can also get vitamins to help with it also. If you want to know any other information feel free to contact me
  • nanefy
    Options
    Just wanted to add that since starting Keto my period is back and like clockwork every single month.
  • Saboteurteehee
    Options
    Great tips @tbom2016! Wow, @nanefy, that's awesome! Keto is no carb right? Even carb veggies? I found that hard to sustain especially when exercising. How do you tackle that?
  • Autumn_Elixir
    Autumn_Elixir Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS and I lost about 40lbs just with dieting and exercise. But along the way (been doing this whole weight loss thing since 2012) I've unfortunately gained an eating disorder as well, so I can't really give any insight on my eating habits because they were *kitten*. I'm now working on that issue by being on here and trying to gain a more healthy relationship with food.. but just know that you can do it so long as you put the time and effort in... and keep track of calories, even just switching certain foods for others can make such a huge difference it's nuts.
  • Saboteurteehee
    Options
    Yikes! I'm sorry to hear you're battling an eating disorder. It's awesome you're using tools to reset. I hope you share your progress along the way. :)
  • CharityL85
    CharityL85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's so encouraging to know I'm not alone. I know many women deal with this problem, but it's not talked about enough. We hear "why can't you just lose weight?" It's not that easy for us. Thank you ladies for responding to my thread! It's nice to see support for all of us.
  • CharityL85
    CharityL85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also Bravo to the women that have lost weight! Amazing encouragement to see that it can be done!
  • nanefy
    Options
    Hey - Keto is high fat, moderate protein and low carb. It's recommended to start off with 20 net carbs or less but you can have up to 30 and in fact some people can go as high as 50 net carbs without being kicked out of ketosis.
    I would highly recommend visiting the Keto subreddit over at Reddit and read the side bar as it has all the info you need including all the science behind it. There are definitely nay Sayers, but that's mostly down to misinformation so I really would recommend /r/Keto to read up on it.
    It has quite literally saved my life - I no longer suffer from food cravings, I no longer feel hungry all the time, my PCOS is better, my mental health is amazing (I went from having chronic anxiety to absolutely no anxiety within three days of starting Keto), my skin is amazing, my hair is better.....too many positives to mention.
    In terms of exercise, I work out between 5 & 7 days a week (intense exercise) and I don't struggle at all - I actually do my workouts in a fasted state and don't suffer from weakness or fatigue...in fact quite the opposite - on Keto I have tons of energy.
  • amypixton2010
    amypixton2010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have found no sugar/low carb/high protein along with heavy lifting has made the biggest impact for weightloss and reversing the symptoms of pcos for me.
  • marlymarly
    marlymarly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago. Have had two beautiful kids since then and gained and lost weight at various times. Agree that low sugar helped a lot, and am trying to cut down now! I'm also going to try more strength training. Good luck everyone!
  • agzram
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I've heard strength training, smart carbs, mini meals, and less sugar really helps. All have helped me but I've just never done all at once. :D Agzram- congratulations on your weight loss!!!

Thanks so much!
  • Saboteurteehee
    Options
    @pinklilly26 I agree, good to know there are a bunch of us out there who have had success despite PCOS, maybe we'll be success stories soon too! @nanefy thanks for the info, I'll definitely check it out. I know I really like lifting (trying to get back into it now) and want to have energy for it. I get excited by all the positives you point out though! I probably was doing it wrong, I tend to go "all or nothing" :p
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!