late night hunger

Options
Im struggling to not eat late at night ...im usually hungriest between 10 p.m. and 1 a.m. any suggestions for low cal snacks late night?

Replies

• drywall_painter
    drywall_painter Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I try to save some calories for a bowl of cereal with skim milk, later after dinner, something that is around 100 calories a cup, satisfies my sweet tooth and gives me something to look forward too.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    I like an 8 oz can of mushrooms (pieces and stems) eaten with chopsticks.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When I'm cutting I eat protein fluff before bed. 200 calories can fill you up beyond belief.

9y2tbts5ojxr.jpg
  • drywall_painter
    Options
    ^ Looks good
  • arditarose
    Options
    ^ Looks good

Gets the job done.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Are you waking up in the middle of the night hungry? Then you are not getting enough nutrition during the day.
    Do not go under 1,000 calories a day. Eat more protein. Open your diary if you want really good help.
  • Kitty_Nikki
    Kitty_Nikki Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    When I'm cutting I eat protein fluff before bed. 200 calories can fill you up beyond belief.

9y2tbts5ojxr.jpg

What is protein fluff exactly? I agree that it looks good.
  • arditarose
    edited January 2016
    Options

9y2tbts5ojxr.jpg

What is protein fluff exactly? I agree that it looks good.

The most basic low calorie base is 20g of protein powder, 6g of xanthan gum, water (maybe 1/2 cup or a cup). You have to mix it with a hand mixer or stand mixer for a very long time. You can start getting creative with it an add frozen berries, pumpkin, pb2, more protein powder, egg whites, whatever toppings you want. Sometimes I add jello-cheesecake pudding mix, sometimes I use almond milk instead of water. Cocoa powder, stevia. You can really make whatever flavor you want.
  • anniemac08
    anniemac08 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I tend to get munchy due to boredom at that late-night hour. I find if I brush my teeth the late-night munchies are easier to avoid. Otherwise, my go-to is a small bowl of cereal.
  • AngelaMiller3
    AngelaMiller3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you waking up in the middle of the night hungry? Then you are not getting enough nutrition during the day.
    Do not go under 1,000 calories a day. Eat more protein. Open your diary if you want really good help.

• AngelaMiller3
    AngelaMiller3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    opened diary
  • drywall_painter
    Options
    I made the protein fluff this morning with whey protein, didn't turn out too well. I read that casein protein works better, gonna try that next time.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I made the protein fluff this morning with whey protein, didn't turn out too well. I read that casein protein works better, gonna try that next time.

Yeah whey doesn't really work. I do use a whey/casein blend that works though. Did you have the xanthan gum? That's key as well.
  • drywall_painter
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes I used 1 scoop of 6 star whey protein, 1teaspoon of xantham gum and 3/4 cup of skim milk.1
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yes I used 1 scoop of 6 star whey protein, 1teaspoon of xantham gum and 3/4 cup of skim milk.1

Oh yeah yeah. Try casein then. When I first started I was using ON chocolate, now I use PEScience whey/casein blend and it works just as well even though it's a mixture.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary (which is only a couple of days), your calorie goal might be too aggressive. How much weight do you want to lose? Do you know mfp is set up to eat some if not all your exercise calories back?
  • drywall_painter
    Options

Oh yeah yeah. Try casein then. When I first started I was using ON chocolate, now I use PEScience whey/casein blend and it works just as well even though it's a mixture.

Thanks for the tip, I'm glad it wasn't just me, I like the idea of protein snack that keeps me full.
  • arditarose
    Options

Thanks for the tip, I'm glad it wasn't just me, I like the idea of protein snack that keeps me full.

Yeah...it's not steak and potatoes full, as there is a lot of air-hence the "fluff". But it can keep me out of the nutella jar late at night ;)
  • dreadlifts
    dreadlifts Posts: 18 Member
    Options

9y2tbts5ojxr.jpg

OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    We're alike, if I'm going to ruin my diet for the day it's between those hours. Yesterday for example I fell off the wagon harder than ever, polishing off about 8 Highland Shortbread biscuits at 110 calories each. I still have no control when it comes to food :(