How much protein should I be consuming?

Options
Hello, I'm new to this community thing so I don't know much. I'm trying to get down to at least 200 pounds. Im currently at 249 lbs. My ultimate goal is 175 but I won't complain at 200. I've been reading on several websites and pages that I should consume 125g of protein a day due to my curgent weight. But keeping that under 1500 calories makes it nearly impossible. So my question to anyone who will give me any insight is how much protein is the right amount for weight loss? Thanks for reading, Lori

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    When you put your goals in MFP what protein goal do did it give you? That's probably as good a starting place as any.

Regarding how to get protein and stay in your calorie goal, lean meats, fish, beans and legumes, eggs, oatmeal and many veggies like kale and spinach are good sources.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    .8-1 gram per pound of lean body mass is a good place to start
  • polysux
    polysux Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I look on the nutrition tab of this app. It tells me my goal is 119g.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    polysux wrote: »
    So my question to anyone who will give me any insight is how much protein is the right amount for weight loss? Thanks for reading, Lori

There is no right amount of protein for weight loss. Since you're just starting out, focus on hitting your calorie goals first. Once you have a few weeks of logging, you can start to manipulate the macros to fit your goals. Don't get overwhelmed by the details at this time.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Today I ate 106g of protein - the calories fit nicely into my 1200 limit. Lean mean (boneless, skinless, chicken breast), protein shakes, even veggies have protein. I agree with the above poster - focus on your calories, once you have them under control work on the macros.
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    .8-1 gram per pound of lean body mass is a good place to start

this.
  • tpereira333
    tpereira333 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ive been at this almost a year and lost 110 lbs so far... I never look at anything other than calories... its easy and it works :)
  • davidjordo
    davidjordo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    125g of protein at 1500 calories a day is entirely plausible actually. I do it nearly every day. Here's a run down of what I'm eating typically:
    Breakfast: 4 eggs, 1/2 cups of oats, half cup of skim milk for coffee
    Lunch: 2 slices whole wheat bread, can of tuna or lunch meat, miracle whip (only for tuna), some kind of carb
    Dinner: 8oz boneless skinless chicken breast, cup of white rice, either cheese or some bbq sauce
    Snacks: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Extreme Milk Chocolate Whey (1 scoop with 8oz. water)

I usually land in at right at 1500 calories and 130-140g of protein depending on the variant.
    If you're worried about hitting a protein goal, buy a supplement. I highly recommend Gold Standard. 24g of protein and only 120 calories.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    At your current weight you can afford to eat more and lose.
    say someone wants to lose fat. A reasonable reduction for a moderate deficit diet might be 20% below maintenance which is ... ~11-13 cal/lb.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html/

More protein (along with strength training) helps preserve muscle loss when in a calorie deficit. As mentioned, 0.8-1g protein/pound lean body mass is recommended, but generally that's for maintenance or bulking. Eric Helms and others recommend closer to 1g protein per pound body weight for fat loss. http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/eric-helms-protein/