Dry January and insomnia???

nicola8989
nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I started Dry January on New Year's Day and since then I have barely been sleeping on a night! I've been going to bed at 10pm as normal but not getting to sleep til at least 1am, then waking up at about 4am or 5am.

I only drink at a weekend, normally just one night and I'll have a bottle of wine so I wouldn't say I've been relying on it to get to sleep - so why am I being affected so much?? Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Honestly, I'm thinking this is a coincidence. It would be one thing if you were drinking daily and quit, giving withdrawal symptoms, but I don't think one day a week is going to cause that.

What are you doing before you attempt to sleep? A lot of people have trouble sleeping if they're letting their minds be busy right before bed, which includes being on the computer or your phone.

At this point, it may be annoying but just inconsistency that you are experiencing. I would try some meditation before sleep or tea with chamomile.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    No booze would keep me up at night. Wow, that's a scary thought. LOL

Ok, in all seriousness, I think it's all in your head. It's a pattern your brain sees as the cause. Try Lavender Essential Oils, works miracles for me when I can't sleep.
  • swiftiesbuddies
    swiftiesbuddies Posts: 14 Member
    I'm doing Dry January , but over the last 14 days ive drank beer / wine every day, and i'm struggling with sleep, Today ive cut out 90% of the caffiene in my diet too, and will see what effect this has tonight / tomorrow.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Only being 4 days in, I agree with @vespiquenn it is most likely coincedence and perhaps you overthinking?
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    I always get the reverse - when I don't drink alcohol I sleep much better. I didn't get much good sleep over Christmas lol
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    I always get the reverse - when I don't drink alcohol I sleep much better. I didn't get much good sleep over Christmas lol

Same! If I have been drinking I am awake every couple of hours!
  • nicola8989
    Thanks guys :) I tried getting up to some yoga which often helps but it hasn't! I guess it probably is a coincidence, I am getting married in August and maybe that's stressing me out as it suddenly seems very close! (Although I'm mega excited about getting married of course - there's lots to do!)
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    I'm also doing Dry January. I have problems falling asleep too, but sleep well once I'm out. I'm also VERY tired when I wake up but I know I've had a good night of sleep. I drank heavily so I imagine part of my issue could be with withdrawal symptoms. Or the massive amounts of tea I'm drinking. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    When I quit drinking I had to move into another bedroom because I was no longer able to sleep through my (now ex) husband's snoring. I was a much heavier sleeper when I was a heavy drinker.

But since you were only a weekend drinker and are now having insomnia all the time, it's probably not Dry January. How's your sleep hygiene? http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/getting/overcoming/tips
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    I don't think it has anything to do with the alcohol unless you used it in the past to fall asleep or were addicted to it. I'm doing a dry January as well and have slept the same if not better.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Can't be related to the alcohol (or lack of). Probably stress from wedding planning or something else. I'm getting married in May and sometimes don't even realize I'm stressed between work, wedding planning, and everything else. Stick to the schedule, I get to bed around 9 and get up at 440 for a workout. No naps, etc. You'll adjust.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    edited January 2016
    It's really common to experience insomnia when you cut alcohol out. Drinking a bottle of wine in an evening is actually "binge drinking," hard as that might be to believe, and there can be withdrawal symptoms when a person decides to be abstinent even if the drinking happens only on the weekend. On the up side, this will pass. Paying attention to having good sleep habits, properly hydrating, and eating nutritious food will help, whether or not your sleeplessness is due to your new abstinence, upcoming life events, or a combination.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    have you also reduced your calories? I find I have trouble sleeping during PMS, and also, when I reduce my calories significantly.
  • nicola8989
    Thanks guys - I have also reduced my calories so this could be having an effect? I don't know really!
  • lpekny
    lpekny Posts: 63 Member
    I have cut out almost all of my drinking this month too. The first few nights, I slept horribly, but now I am sleeping great. I drink a Sleepy Time tea every night before bed and it helps me to relax.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    Sublingual melatonin helps me get to sleep fast. Other forms don't work as quickly. http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Melatonin-Orange-Flavored-Sublingual-1-mg-100-Tablets/24650
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Yeah, like others have said if you were drinking every night that's not uncommon, but if just once a week it's almost certainly just a coincidence and unrelated.