Women with PCOS

Options
2»

Replies

• Saboteurteehee
    Saboteurteehee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    marlymarly wrote: »
    Hi all! I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago. Have had two beautiful kids since then and gained and lost weight at various times. Agree that low sugar helped a lot, and am trying to cut down now! I'm also going to try more strength training. Good luck everyone!

Wow! Congratulations! I know it can be very difficult to have children when you have PCOS.
  • Saboteurteehee
    Options
    I have found no sugar/low carb/high protein along with heavy lifting has made the biggest impact for weightloss and reversing the symptoms of pcos for me.

Wonderful, @amypixton2010! I guess if majority of you with success are saying the same general tips, I should probably do it! :p I've never done it all at once, I'm sure that will help. More than weight, I just don't like all the weird "gifts" PCOS gives me, really makes me feel out of whack!

I'm rambling, I've got the Sunday insomnia...every Sunday... HA!
  • Saboteurteehee
    Options
    Red13 wrote: »
    I would also like to see success stories with fellow cysters too, I've always wanted a toned body and always get stuck, feeling as though my PCOS holds me back from what I really want to achieve. I know it takes more effort than the average person to get there, but we can do it! Currently, I'm doing a crossfit at home, going dairy free, and trying to make sure my macros are in check to keep my insulin levels where they should be.

Love the positive attitude! Thanks for your encouragement! Noticed you said you're going dairy free, is that also supposed to help level out PCOS?

• TMski1000
    TMski1000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey All! I have PCOS as well just diagnosed a few months ago.. TTC our first child for over 2 yrs. -- Started Metformin ER(which I am horrible at taking but will be buckling down now!) a little while ago and will be getting back on Fertility Meds as soon as AF shows. -- I have been struggling to lose weight and actually HAVE to lose weight in order to pass military PT tests -- I am basically using the Paleo/Whole30 concepts with small cheats here and there(like dairy ect) I really want to focus on getting this weight off so I am a meal prepper(fitpacker meal containers are amazing)! Goal weight is about 190 -- I am currently 230(this AM & super bloated) - 6'2" Tall. Anyone is welcome to add me -- We can help keep each other in check! :)
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Red13 wrote: »
    I would also like to see success stories with fellow cysters too, I've always wanted a toned body and always get stuck, feeling as though my PCOS holds me back from what I really want to achieve. I know it takes more effort than the average person to get there, but we can do it! Currently, I'm doing a crossfit at home, going dairy free, and trying to make sure my macros are in check to keep my insulin levels where they should be.

Love the positive attitude! Thanks for your encouragement! Noticed you said you're going dairy free, is that also supposed to help level out PCOS?

Yes, dairy messes with hormones and for me it seems to be the root of my unclear skin issues. It's hard to give up cheese and creamy goodness but now that I can see a difference I'm sticking with it!
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I lost abou 80lbs before being diagnosed. I did sticking closely to 1200 calories per day and through exercise (a walk everyday). I tried to limit myself to 3 meals and an evening snack. My meals would be fairly high in protein and fat, as per MFP's default settings.

Once I was diagnosed with PCOS, I was put on Metformin for Insulin Resistance and this did help - I can now eat more calories and still lose / maintain. #happygirl
  • Saboteurteehee
    Options
    @TMski1000 thanks for the fitpacker suggestion! Sounds like you have a solid plan of attack along with good pressure (passing military tests) to keep on track! Way to go!
  • Saboteurteehee
    Options
    @red13 thanks! Didn't know that about dairy!
  • Saboteurteehee
    Options
    @kendalslimmer yes eating more and losing weight would be nice! Ha! Congratulations on your weight loss success this far!
  • TMski1000
    TMski1000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @TMski1000 thanks for the fitpacker suggestion! Sounds like you have a solid plan of attack along with good pressure (passing military tests) to keep on track! Way to go!

I am trying LOL - The meal prep containers are amazing -- and I just realized MFP has a "Copy from Yesterday" option on the food log. LOVE!!! You all are welcome to ad me - We can encourage each other/share struggles ;)
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi! Newbie and first post. Diagnosed with PCOS 8 years ago, weight has gone up and down (being hypothyroid also doesn't help). Recently started high protein/low carb as this has worked in the past, and have got back to swimming 3x a week - hoping to add gym sessions a couple of times a week for weights, when I have a bit more confidence!

So good to hear from other ladies who are tired of trying to respond to 'you just need to eat less to lose weight' - PCOS is a right pain in the - well, the ovaries - when it comes to weight loss. Great to hear the success stories, fab motivator!
  • Jbock26
    Jbock26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS along with Hypothyroidism and currently at my heaviest weight. I have struggles with my weight most of my life and I want a change and off the medication!! I have used Myfitnesspal on and off but my new years resolution is to get healthy.

I have always worked towards losing weight but this time I am working towards health, putting the right food in my body and everything else should fall into place. I am eating a whole plant based life style. At this moment my excitement is out weighting my craves for chocolate, cookies, chips, etc. I got on myfitnesspal again because I want to keep the momentum up, hold myself accountable, and have support from a community of people here on myfitnesspal. In turn, I hope to help others along the way with PCOS, hypothyridism, and weight.
  • rklein88
    rklein88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, cut out dairy in August 2015 due to food intolerance to cow milk and whey (diagnosed by a naturopathic doctor through a blood test) and my acne is 90% gone. Acne was moderate, constant, even worse during PMS. I was not expecting that but it's amazing. Due to intolerances, I also cut out cane and beet sugar, yeast, eggs, peanuts, mushrooms, and almonds, so I can't swear that the improvement is just due to dairy but others mentioned that also!
  • court161
    court161 Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was diagnosed last year, after realizing gaining 30 pounds in less than 6 months wasn't normal ha The year before that though I lost 60 pounds 220-160 in about 6 months through calorie deficit and exercise. I was eating no more than 1100 calories a day and actually felt full, I also would choose workouts from beach body's Brazilian butt lift and p90x video and do those 5-6 days a week and run at least a mile. For me personally I only lose weight if I eat less than 1200 a day and if the meals are repetitive for the majority. I only drank water, and added flavor when I got bored, no sugar besides fruit. But drinking loads of water helps tremendously!

I found also after being really upset after the diagnosis mainly for fears of infertility that it's better not to think I can't lose weight because I have pcos but to just have a positive mindset that if I try it and really put my all that I can change no matter what may be causing a slight resistance!
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    @Pinklily26 & others: There is also a great PCOS group on MFP if anyone is interested ( http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis ). It's a supportive community & has a lot of great info, including others' success stories.

I started last June on a weight-loss journey to help increase my fertility chances (trying for 5 years, no success). I lost over 40# between June-October with a LCHF diet & exercise (+ Metformin & Inositol for the PCOS). I maintained through November/December due to some personal things going on, but am now "back on the wagon" with diet/exercise. I still have a way to go, but I'm happy with the results so far & hopeful for the future.

I'd love to have more friends with PCOS on here who are on a similar journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!