Anyone have luck recording foods in advance

Options
Hi guys,
Just wondering how many folks record foods at the beginning of the day (or days in advance) before eating them.
Cheers and best of luck on your weight loss journey. Happy New Year!
lt

Replies

• fat2fitaddict
    fat2fitaddict Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ive tried with just one meal in advance, just because I already know say..for dinner tonight I have 1200 cals left and I am already thinking about how I want to spend em! Anything past 1 meal I haven't tried!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Lots of people like prelogging and I remember a thread by one person recently who logs a week or so in advance.

I just prelog when I have an unusually large meal coming up so I can budget better.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I do that, sometimes I'll do my whole week in advance.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of people who do this. I usually record as much as I can and then go back and fill in anything else that I eat. But I always check to see how many calories I have left before eating more. Better to be proactive than reactive.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I use to do this all the time, its really makes life easier. I may return and something here and there. My plan is to return to it
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    Just wondering how many folks record foods at the beginning of the day (or days in advance) before eating them.
    Cheers and best of luck on your weight loss journey. Happy New Year!
    lt

I've pre-logged my food every day for over a year now. I usually log the night before or in the morning.
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    As much as possible, I log the day's meals the night before, usually just after I finish dinner. Mapping out the whole day allows me to tweak where needed--I can figure out how to get more protein, more fiber, lower calories a bit, etc. I make adjustments during the day as needed, but I find that having the framework in place is very helpful.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Pre logging doesn't work for me. All meals are pretty much in the air until we start cooking. Even then it may switch half way through.
    The only thing I prelog is my late night snack.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I log as I'm packing my lunch and breakfast for the next day. Gives me an idea for where I'll be when I get off work and what I can plan for supper.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Typically I record the night before or early morn the day of. I always leave a few hundred calories to add in a snack at some point or if plans change and I have to redo a meal. This works well for me and gives me a guide. If I have nothing prelogged I often misjudge and leave myself with too few by the end of the day. Today I only had breakfast and lunch scheduled, no idea yet what is for supper.
  • psyklob
    psyklob Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually pre-log on days when I'm out of the house and have packed all my food.

On days that I stay home, pre-logging doesn't work for me. Meal time will come around and I'll end up craving something entirely different that what I'd planned.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my breakfast and lunch since those are the meals that I control. My dinner I leave open because my hubs does the dinner cooking. I try to leave a lot of calories for dinner since I hardly ever know in advance what he's going to make.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I pre-log for the day, and then just adjust to the exact weights once I actually have said food.

Like I will plan for 200g spaghetti squash tonight, but will re-log if it's closer to 210 or if I want more or less, etc.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yep. I prelog everything. Usually everything is input for the day by lunch time.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I prelog up to a day in advance if I have a more calorie-dense meal I want to budget around, and/or to put in perishable foods I need to remind myself to eat which otherwise might not occur to me on the fly.

But the majority of my pre-logging is right before I eat. I rarely eat first and log it later.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Another pre-logger here. I try to log most or all of my food the day before as a sort of "plan A". Then if I want to make a change on the day I can see exactly how it will impact my day's total.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log. I change my mind often but at least I have everything in there so I don't have to "think" when it's lunch or dinner time.
  • dylangrrrrl
    dylangrrrrl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys- I'll give it a go tomorrow.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've been at this long enough that I don't need to pre-log for calorie purposes, but it does help me balance my macros. Plus, it lets me swap different foods in and out so I can find the best balance of taste/enjoyment and calorie/macro needs.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I do this most days; it helps me to see that I'm going to meet my calorie goal and get enough protein, fat etc.

I also find it useful when I know I'm going out for dinner or drinks, as I can adjust my other meals to fit in that little splurge.