Snacking in the evening

Options
Hi, I lost 2.5 stone last year and am looking to lose 2 stone this year but I'm now struggling. I'm looking for ideas of snacks for the evening that are healthy, as it's the evening that I tend to binge on unhealthy foods. I usually have tea/dinner at 5pm, I have 2 kids under 4 so have to have it at this time.
Anyway I always seem to get hungry around 8/9pm and whatever I eat doesn't satisfy me. And then I end up having a bag of crisps or chocolate.
Does anyone have any tips or snacks that would stop me feeling hungry, it's mainly sweet things I crave.
Thanks

Replies

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Have you tried having a hard boiled egg or two in the evening? About 70 calories each but lots of protein to keep you full. Can you keep the chips and chocolate out of the house so it's not a temptation?
  • Danni1289
    Danni1289 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried boiled eggs so I will try that Thankyou, I can't keep crisps and chocolate out of the house as I have 2 little boys, so always have things like that in the house, I just need more will power, and something that will fill me up more as a snack.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Popcorn?

It gives me the crunch I am looking for and is pretty easy on the calories.

Apples and almond butter are also filling.

Yoghurt with Cinammon also is yummy.

Or yoghurt with celery sticks for crunch.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    How about a small banana or a low-fat yoghurt? Nairns chocolate chip oat cookies are nice, 44 cals each.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It may sound strange, but I like homemade veggie soup as a late-evening snack. I almost always have some on hand, and for the same 100 calories I might get from a container of yogurt or a bag of popcorn, I get a HUGE bowl of veggies and water--which are both good for me-- and it's very bulky and satisfying
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My favs:
    Popcorn- you get a pretty big serving for 100 calories.
    Greek yogurt- lots of protein... Add some fruit or cereal to bulk it up a bit and add crunch.
    Apple and peanut butter (or pb2 for less calories).
    Oranges- it takes some work to get them peeled and cleaned off so it slows me down and keeps me from scarfing it down in 2 seconds!
    Single serve bags of baked chips (crisps)- sometimes you just need some chips... Single serve bags are more expensive but they help me control portion size...
  • kvwalton30
    kvwalton30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Frozen berry fruits - very low calories but delicious and so cold they last forever! Also, a cup of herbal tea helps reduce my food cravings...
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I usually eat popcorn, yogurt or some fruit. If you eat fruit cut it up into smaller pieces, it will take you longer to eat them, you will eat slower and probably feel more satisfied!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Danni1289 wrote: »
    Hi, I lost 2.5 stone last year and am looking to lose 2 stone this year but I'm now struggling. I'm looking for ideas of snacks for the evening that are healthy, as it's the evening that I tend to binge on unhealthy foods. I usually have tea/dinner at 5pm, I have 2 kids under 4 so have to have it at this time.
    Anyway I always seem to get hungry around 8/9pm and whatever I eat doesn't satisfy me. And then I end up having a bag of crisps or chocolate.
    Does anyone have any tips or snacks that would stop me feeling hungry, it's mainly sweet things I crave.
    Thanks

I generally have a snack around 8 or 9 PM. I just plan it when I pre-log my whole day in the morning.
    I am less snacky at night if I have had more protein the rest of the day. Try getting more protein foods in your day.
    Popcorn, yogurt, cheese, fruit, carrots, broccoli, celery with peanut butter, dark chocolate, pretzels, deviled eggs, hummus and vegetables, wasabi peas, trail mix
  • Danni1289
    Options
    Thanks everyone it all sounds amazing and there's lots of things I would have never thought of
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yeah I typically save 200 calories to have a bag of smart,pop popcorn. They have butter and kettle corn flavor. Volume eaters would like this because it is a lot of popcorn and filling with fiber.
  • fat2fitaddict
    fat2fitaddict Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was having this same problem a lot but then what I did was started reserving most of my daily cals for my LAST meal. So, I get totally full..stuffed! Like tonight..i'm gonna have 4 6oz servings of chicken Parmesan.. then I am going to have a 90 cal of yogurt for my sweet tooth. Maybe try that? It goes against the tradition 5-6 meals a day module but hey 6 small meals a day wasn't filling me up..so I went went 4 and I keep the first 3 low and pig out on my last!
  • fletcher1980
    fletcher1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fruit is the easiest stuff to snack on so maybe oranges, apples, kiwis, pears, grapes, blueberries etc. Also try healthy crackers (there are loads) - just don't have them with cheese ha. Tuna is a good filler and perfect if you like it.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a protein crepe (pancake) with a cup of tea as my evening snack. Very satisfying and leaves me in good shape to exercise in the morning (2 scoops protein powder/1 cup oatmeal/2 cups egg whites/cinnamon/pumpkin pie spice); enough water to make a crepe like batter. Cook 1/2 cup at a time on a hot grill til golden and flip. I eat 1, or sometimes too. I may put a little nut butter on mine, but they are good plain too.
  • myaco
    myaco Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have three kids, and we have decided that the kids don't really need chips and sweets much more than we do. So, we have just removed them, and gotten things like nuts and dried fruit for them, and I can pass on those, so it doesn't bother me so much. Also, when we do get treats, I try to get things that the adults aren't so crazy about, but the kids like.
  • Danni1289
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice been a great help. I'm definitely going to buy the kids snacks that they like and I don't so much, and I'm also going to save my calories for the evening as that's when I usually want to pig out. I'm never really that hungry in the day, probably because I'm running after the kids all day.
  • WideAgain
    WideAgain Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    Yeah I typically save 200 calories to have a bag of smart,pop popcorn. They have butter and kettle corn flavor. Volume eaters would like this because it is a lot of popcorn and filling with fiber.

I'm a 'volume eater'... People think I'm strange when I chomp my way through red peppers, cucumber and microwaved broccoli and courgette!!! Love the term!

My evening snack is a couple of rice cakes... Sometimes salt and vinegar, sometimes 'caramel' (made by Tesco but I'm in the UK!)
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I like 2% cottage cheese mixed with an individual container of sugar free jello. It sounds weird, but it's good.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    If you don't have it around, you can't eat it.
  • Danni1289
    Options
    I'm in the uk too and was thinking of getting rice cakes, maybe the caramel ones as I've got a very sweet tooth.