Does going for a walk even do anything weight wise?

Options
I worked out today for 50 minutes doing eliptacil and circut training. I decided I want to speed up my weight loss so the last couple evenings I been taking my dog out for an hour walk around the neighborhood. Do you think that will help speed up my prgress at all? Or is it in vain lol. I feel like I been trapped at the same weight forever! I lost 5 pounds and gained it back. The funny thing is that I been working out harder and I GAINED weight.....ugggh this weight loss thing is frustrating lol

Replies

• monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    not really sure but it will tone you some on legs.
    are you eating your exercise calories if your burning alot and not eating them or at least half of them back you body will start to cling to fat stores or it could just be your toning up not losing try measuring your waist etc see if you notice differances there my scales seem to be stuck in same place but my waist is decreasing im starting to like my tapemeasure hate my scales but whether its inch loss or weight loss its all going where we want off of us and getting us to the shape we want
    keep at it im sure you will start to see a differance
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    I was told to do moderate excercise to lose weight. I recently started and I do eliptical in fat-burn mode. Basically, you do not want to do strenous excercise because you are going into cardio mode. Walking is considered moderate excercise too. My professor said that strenous excercise brings up glucagon, a hormore that basically stimulates high blood glucose, and to some extent, fat synthesis. He said that intially some people who are overweight and do streneous excercise gain weight because of this. This is what he said, you should google glucagon and exercise.
  • SadieAnnL
    SadieAnnL Posts: 17
    Options
    Not an expert on this, but I think any movement helps speed up weight loss and your metabolism and besides your dog will LOVE you for it !!!! :)
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    after all my exersice today I was allowed 2000 calories it seemed a little much. So I still have 600 calories :S
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    Not an expert on this, but I think any movement helps speed up weight loss and your metabolism and besides your dog will LOVE you for it !!!! :)
    lol true true....
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Walking is an excellent form of exercise. Like any other activity, it burns calories. If you burn more calories than you consume, over time you will lose weight.

When you say you worked out harder and gained weight.. this is actually very common. When starting a new exercise program or bumping up the intensity of your current one, what happens oftentimes is shocks your muscles and they hold on to water. Conversely, people are often amazed to discover that when they take a break from exercising, they lose a few lbs very quickly. This is the muscles letting go of water.

Overall, these things will level themselves out. For the very best results in diet and fitness, you should exercise and eat a healthy diet.
  • mrstyler
    mrstyler Posts: 43
    Options
    For my body, getting up and going for a walk, even a mild and short-ish one seems to help me lose weight. I can eat the right amount of food and not lose much but getting out and walking does seem to help, particularly in the morning. I assume that it helps get my metabolism going. And an hour's walk is 150+ calories and every bit helps!

And I had never heard of the strenuous exercise being bad before, but I have to say that I have had the problem of losing little or no weight while exercising heavily--but I lost lots while just walking!
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Hi, well A. you should be walking your dog any way and B. yeah defo, you will have calves of steal and if you speed up just a notch your heart rate will go up and burn more calories. I burn around 300 - 400 cals a day just doing my dogs...
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    ......and.......If you do short runs in that walk too....the heart rate obviously goes up more and you'll burn even more....
  • Rayanne203
    Options
    like add intervals?
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    Of course it does. I lost a good amount of weight doing Leslie Sansone's, Walk Away The Pounds. I love her workouts. And from time to time i would walk outdoors. It worked for me!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    YES! It does more than sitting on the couch infront of the TV.

I have a friend who lost about 70kg (which is an average sized 12 person) with food and walking only. she didn't do any other exercise more than walking. admittedly she does walk alot. 2-3 hours a day. but there you go, she was HUGE, and now she's small, and she only walks.
  • appleskye
    appleskye Posts: 54
    Options
    Walking is good for you! Walking a mile and running a mile will burn the same number of calories. But I know what you mean, it feels like it's not doing anything! Take a look at these:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/11/28-day-walking-course-joanna-hall
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/table/2010/jan/11/weight-loss-plan-fitness-guide

Really, anything that raises your heart rate is going to help you lose weight.
  • AlexandraLove
    Options
    I dropped ten alone by walking at the end of last year, but I would go about 5-6 miles (2 hours).
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Walking a mile and running a mile will burn the same number of calories.

What utter rubbish.........
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    like add intervals?

Absolutely, I do it and watch my HR (by watching HRM) go up and it takes longer to come down, so its all good....
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Walking is good for you! Walking a mile and running a mile will burn the same number of calories. But I know what you mean, it feels like it's not doing anything! Take a look at these:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/11/28-day-walking-course-joanna-hall
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/table/2010/jan/11/weight-loss-plan-fitness-guide

Really, anything that raises your heart rate is going to help you lose weight.

I wish, but unfortunately no. :-( Walking doesn't burn NEARLY the same calories as jogging or walking. If I walk briskly for an hour I burn a WHOPPING 200 calories. It's still good for you though!! No denying that. :-)
  • BarbelleBaby
    Options
    Walking a mile and running a mile will burn the same number of calories.

What utter rubbish.........

Very true. Trying running odd bouts with your dog and playing a bit, then when you recover go back to it. Just like intervals, but making it playful helps to keep going if you're not used to it :)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I was told to do moderate excercise to lose weight. I recently started and I do eliptical in fat-burn mode. Basically, you do not want to do strenous excercise because you are going into cardio mode. Walking is considered moderate excercise too. My professor said that strenous excercise brings up glucagon, a hormore that basically stimulates high blood glucose, and to some extent, fat synthesis. He said that intially some people who are overweight and do streneous excercise gain weight because of this. This is what he said, you should google glucagon and exercise.

I have heard this to. And my heart rate monitor would ALWAYS say I was in the cardio range. I had to tip toe quietly to stay in the "fat burning' zone. And guess what? I lost 40 lbs. I understand there is a lot of science behind it...but I am where I am today pushing myself to the limit in all my classes. Could be different for others though! :-)
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    She didn't say in the same amount of time... she said by distance... so yes, waking and running the same mile will get you about the same calories... it may take 10 minutes of running or 30 minutes of walking... but the caloric burn, based on the distance traveled (not time) will be very close to the same.