Weight training and hunger

Options
I train with weights now about 5 times a week. I used to weigh 365 but over 20 yrs I now weigh 265 the problem is the weight training makes me so much hungrier than cardio and I have a food obsession. So this is my problem!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You've lost 100 pounds? And you have a problem with hunger due to weights? I don't think I"m following very well.

Weight training makes me hungry too - I've found that if I snack on fiber and protein (better if it is NOT lean for me), I'm less likely to go over calorie limits, as it stems the hunger for me. :)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that happens...try increasing protein, fat, and/or water intake.
  • kwheber
    kwheber Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tks for the help
  • codytriguy
    codytriguy Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    me too. I used to be a triathlete. Biked and ran more hours a week than I'd like to admit.... probably could have been considered an exercise bulimic. Anyway I got ran over by a vehicle while cycling so I gave up triathlons and promptly gained 140 pounds. Started olympic style weightlifting and was so hungry! I kept getting overly hungry and falling off the diet wagon, binge eating, etc. I assumed because I did so much cardio as a multisport athlete, 22 hours a week, that I needed less calories now that I'm weightlifting only 5-6 hours a week. I finally hired a sports nutrition coach. He's upped my protien and fat more than i ever ate training for endurance. I'm still losing almost a couple pounds a week. So, try upping your protein and fat. I think you wont gain fat. Let us know what you find out.

Congrats on losing 100 pounds. reading that inspired me!
  • Body_Remap
    Body_Remap Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Water is good choice as suggested,be better if you add in bcaa.
    Protein will definitely help fill you up too. You could use carb back loading if you train in evening.