2016 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    In the past year I lost 50 pounds of body fat and gained 10 pounds of muscle, which brought me well within the healthy BMI range and I have maintained this conditioning for almost four months now. I'm a full-time student and as a result of my past struggles with Major Depressive Disorder, I have a special interest in both the temporary and cumulative effects of physical exercise on cognitive and emotional health. I've invested massive amounts of time and energy in creating efficient eating schedules that maximize nutritional value while minimizing prep time. I also eat strategically to optimize my hormonal balance, which I see as essential to the enterprise of improving fitness.

I'd love to mentor anyone who's interested.
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My time is relatively limited but I'd be glad to help out one or two people.

I've been here almost 5 years, most of it on a different account so it looks like I am new based on my minimal forum post count. In that time I've lost 50 pounds, went through an illness and subsequent brain surgery, and have become focused on bodybuilding and hopefully powerlifting at some point.

Ultimately, my noob(s) should be interested in lifting as I rarely do cardio anymore though it was an integral part of my initial weight loss. I work out at home in my dungeon of a basement gym, so if there's anyone out there looking to figure out how to get fit without a gym membership (proper equipment would be necessary like a bench, barbell, plates and dumbbells), then I am your person...I can also take someone who does have a gym membership, but figured I'd mention the home gym possibility. Message me if you're interested and I'll make a decision soon!

A collage of the last 5 years...

gsb16j4bojcw.jpg
  • milewskinicole
    milewskinicole Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HELP! I'm an 18 year old female looking to lose 45-50 pounds. My weight is the highest it has ever been. For YEARS, I've been telling myself that I would lose weight, and I never took it upon myself to listen to myself and actually do something about it. 2016 IS MY YEAR TO CHANGE THAT ALL. I would like a mentor preferably to be okay with me doing home/outdoor workouts (no access to a gym, unless PE at school counts, which I take Group Fitness where I do yoga, kickboxing, zumba, etc). Please also help me regulate my food intakes. I tend to always go off track and eat all the bad food that's around me. :( I'm looking for a lifestyles change that will allow me to feel better about myself. :smile: Thanks for your time!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    HELP! I'm an 18 year old female looking to lose 45-50 pounds. My weight is the highest it has ever been. For YEARS, I've been telling myself that I would lose weight, and I never took it upon myself to listen to myself and actually do something about it. 2016 IS MY YEAR TO CHANGE THAT ALL. I would like a mentor preferably to be okay with me doing home/outdoor workouts (no access to a gym, unless PE at school counts, which I take Group Fitness where I do yoga, kickboxing, zumba, etc). Please also help me regulate my food intakes. I tend to always go off track and eat all the bad food that's around me. :( I'm looking for a lifestyles change that will allow me to feel better about myself. :smile: Thanks for your time!
    Please see below and PM me if you wish. :smile:
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I'd be honored to help a few young ladies get healthy in 2016. As a mentor, I might not know much about nutrition or fitness, but I can relate to certain experiences and will gladly cheer on/encourage anyone who needs it/be a listening ear when needed, especially from a Christian perspective. I've logged faithfully for quite a while, gained control of diabetes and lost a total of 60 lbs despite having to "do life " from a wheelchair. Before getting a major wound, I loved to ride a horse and use one of those hand-bike machine thingamajigs for exercise (and used to play/love baseball), and I believe that all food is safe for dieters as long as you're not allergic/intolerant to it (I'm looking at you, chocolate and fries!). If you think you might need me, please let me know! :)

• doomah2014
    doomah2014 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd like a couple new friends. I'm a 29 year old female, married, and without children. I think I could be most helpful to someone in a similar life situation. I have counted calories on and off since I was 13. It works. My immediate family is all obese, but at 5'8" my weight has been between 150-200 for my adult life, but mostly between 160-180.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I can be a mentor for 1-2 people. Here's a rundown of information potential mentees might want to consider:

1. I've been at maintenance since October and am currently working on dropping 3 pounds to get back into the middle of my maintenance range (I gained a bit over the holidays, and it was delicious). I should get there by the end of January. I've never been over 15 pounds above my ideal weight, but I think the principles for losing do not change regardless of how much there is to lose.

2. I have Celiac disease, so everything I log is gluten-free. I'm happy to share recipes if something in my diary looks yummy. My diary is open to friends only.

3. I have mobility issues. I can walk 500-2000 steps/day depending on how bad the pain is. I can do yoga, use a recumbant bike, swim, and use a few weight machines that don't involve my feet (free weights are fine, too, if someone wants to hand them to me; I can't walk around with them). I use a mobility scooter or wheelchair (currently in the shop for repairs) to get around places where lots of walking would be involved. If you have any mobility issues, I'll understand and possibly be able to point you in the direction of exercises that will work with your limitations. The development of this disability is what led to my biggest weight gain, and it was a challenge to lose without the option of my favorite activities.

4. I don't believe in guilt or dishonesty. If I want two pieces of spider cake, then I'm going to log it first, take a good look at what that does to my calorie intake for the day or week, and either choose not to, choose a more reasonable portion, or choose to enjoy it guilt free.

5. I believe in weighing daily to learn about natural weight fluctuations and patterns so there are no freak-outs.

6. I believe in reasonable goals, occasional breaks at maintenance, and sustainable habits. If you're planning to only eat cabbage soup for the next month or need to lose 30 pounds in 30 days to fit into a wedding dress, I am not the mentor for you. I think slow, steady losses are better than big drops followed by health issues and/or rapid gains.

If any of this sounds good to you, send me a message about your goals and why you chose me, and I'll get back to you within 24 hours. :smile:
  • diane47130
    diane47130 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new today & looking for some help with the site. I'm in my 60's but very active still. I'd like to lose
    15 or 20 pounds for health reasons. I'm OK with the way I look but have been having some knee problems which
    I may attribute to my extra pounds. I'd really like to try this website but may need motivation so a mentor might
    help me get going.....
  • TaniTru
    TaniTru Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A great thread - read through and contacted, hopefully I get a mentor!
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm still losing fat but have had some good success this year thanks to a lot of support and tracking down the good information that's available.
    I'd be happy to adopt a couple of people that need some help figuring out where to start.
    I'm 39 and based in the UK (not that location matters thanks to the internet). I've been obese, I'm now just overweight and approaching my body fat goal slowly and steadily.
    I'm training to be a personal trainer at the moment around current work commitments.
    I can offer advice about where to start out, where to find good information, how to help yourself and how not to go all out nuts for it from the start line, bearing in mind fat loss is a marathon not a sprint. Recovery is an important part of getting fit and healthy as well as exercising so you will need to listen to what your body is trying to say to you.
    I'm not able to help anyone doing strange fad diets (eating only raw spinach and drinking only onion juice or something equally daft and dangerous) as I don't want to argue with strangers over the internet about such things but if you want to lose fat, get a healthier lifestyle rather than being sedentary and eating poorly I can totally help if you want it. :)
    Feel free to message me, I'm on here everyday, you will be too I hope.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I have officially adopted @Mallyscat. Yay!
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be a mentor :)
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    About Me: 29 year old from Philadelphia, PA who's happy to mentor a couple of Noobs for 2016! For years I used MFP off and on. I'd log my my food for a few months and quit. I'd try C25K a couple of times and quit ... you get the picture. A couple of years ago I really decided I was ready for a change and lost 70 LBS with the help of MFP and its wonderful community (i'm here everyday now) and went from sedentary to a total gym junkie. I'm passionate about heavy lifting and nutrition but a strong believer in the idea that different things work for different people.

If you're looking for a mentor that will scan your diary and yell at you for eating the "wrong" things or too many/too few calories i'm not the mentor for you. If your looking for a mentor that will encourage you to "earn" your food by burning a million calories through cardio than i'm not the mentor for you. If you're looking for someone with a bit of a gross sense of humor that will be happy to answer any fitness/nutrition/weight loss questions you may have while having a good laugh then i'm your girl! I'm obsessed with olympic lifting so if you too hold a passion for smooth snatches and hard jerks you'll definitely secure a place on my Noob list. Welcome!
  • SamanthaLeeann1
    SamanthaLeeann1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70 Lb on MFP and looking to lose another 30 this year. I have been using MFP fairly regularly (everyone takes the occasional week off) for 8 months now. I went from eating fast food almost everyday and never working out to eating fast food "occasionally" and becoming a lot more active. MFP has been so helpful to me and I would love to mentor anyone. Send me a message or a friend request :)
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a mentor! I'm am at a point in my life where I am ready to commit to losing weight, and I feel like I can do this! I am 35, a mom to three young children, and I work full-time as a corporate controller. My major limitation is that I have a slightly weakened heart and a lifting restriction, so I'm limited to minimal exercise for now. Most of my weight loss will be done by eating right and walking. If you think we would be a good fit, please send me a message. Thanks!
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I am a former MFP user that lost around 30 pounds a while back and am looking to lose serious weight again.
    I would very much love to have a mentor, but I am in search of someone who knows their stuff. I would be very grateful for knowledgeable advice and suggestions.

Here are my details:
    37 male, married, work as a primary teacher
    Current weight is 226.8 pounds
    6 ft.
    Non-smoker
    Resting HR is around 62 bpm, BP 132/80

I lost around 30 pounds two years ago over a 6 month commitment because I put my mind to exercise and eating well. I did around 100km walking a week for months on end and went from 235 to around 200.

I tend to be very, very focused and committed to goals given I work with students whom I myself tutor and shape. I am the type who is able to focus and remain committed and look past most vices. My current vice in a week would be a latte daily and maybe some low-calorie baked chips.

I have a Fitbit Charge HR and am currently logging my food and exercise on a daily basis.

My personality is the type where I am able to push myself beyond the average to try and go the distance. Losing 30 pounds several years gave me that capability.

I can do easily 10k steps in a day at work. My best is around 32k steps. We walk for 5-6 hrs on the weekend easily.
    I try to eat as healthily as possible: no chips, no pops, nothing processed. I limit my refined carbs as much as possible and eat food made from scratch. I aim to avoid as much sugar as possible (although I do have milk for coffee, etc). I am looking for someone who can help me out with TDEE given that I get very high numbers from fitbit. I also walk quite a bit a day and so I am looking to lose weight on a consistent basis yet on a weekly basis apparently I burn around 35k calories due to walking, according to my fitbit Charge HR (4k calories X 7 days). On weekends we will do around 15 km over a period of 3-4 hours which add to the overall weekly calories burned. I think I burn a fairly high number of calories with walking and so am looking for help regarding how many I should eat back.

TDEE calculator with sedentary gives me "Your BMR is: 1974" and TDEE is: 2468.

Right now my fitbit Charge HR is telling me I can eat back 1000 calories even with the -500 daily calorie deficit inputted. I have a feeling it is overestimating the number of calories I burn.

Any and all help would be appreciated. If there is a serious mentor out there looking to take someone under their wing, I will try my best to make it worth your time.

Cheers!

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Continued thanks to all the mentors - you guys are awesome! All mentors to this point have been added to the OP.
  • ConnieDeHart
    ConnieDeHart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site. I am 62, just retired, afraid of being a couch potato. According to my MD I am about 20 # overweight. I am a healthy eater and avoid high sugar products & eat whole grain breads. I am looking for a mentor. I joined a gym and Im trying to discover what works for me.
  • RagTagSampson
    RagTagSampson Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If anyone needs a friend or motivator or mentor I am more than glad to help : )

My name is Sampson, live in West Burbs of Chicago, and I love running obstacle course races. If you need someone positive and friendly and down right funny to help push you along don't be scurred to reach out :p
This discussion has been closed.