How to weigh rice?

Options
I know that weighing things dry/before cooking is the most accurately, but that's not really feasible any more. I recently got a rice cooker, so it makes multiple servings (before that we had always has individual rice ups). I can't seem to find a weight for cooked rice-like how many grams dry=how many grams cooked. I know that depends on how much water the rice absorbs but the absorbency seem pretty consistent with the rice cooker.

The only thing I can find is 1/4cup dry = 1 cup cooked, but that doesn't really help since I believe in weighing my food for better accuracy.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i use a cooked rice entry. its there.

white- medium grain rice- cooked - something like that. theres an entry for it in grams.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would use the recipe builder for this. Each time you make it, open your rice recipe and update it with the water amount and weight of the dry rice. Cook the rice. Then weigh the cooked product and adjust the number of servings on the rice recipe to be equal to the weight of the cooked rice in grams. Then, scoop out however much rice you want to eat, weigh it, and enter the weight in grams as the number of servings of that recipe that you are eating.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just used a "cooked" entry. Last night with my salmon and garden salad I had, "Diamond - Calrose Short Grain Rice Cooked, 6 oz."
  • Sarah72936
    Sarah72936 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would use the recipe builder for this. Each time you make it, open your rice recipe and update it with the water amount and weight of the dry rice. Cook the rice. Then weigh the cooked product and adjust the number of servings on the rice recipe to be equal to the weight of the cooked rice in grams. Then, scoop out however much rice you want to eat, weigh it, and enter the weight in grams as the number of servings of that recipe that you are eating.

I do something similar to this. I only make rice for me so I just weigh the dry rice (usually I weigh out exactly 4 servings). Then after it's cooked, I weigh the cooked amount. Then everytime I eat it, I take out 1/4 of the cooked weight for one serving.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just can't be that accurate (like when you are cooking for multiple people) and you've just got to let it go (the cold never bothered me anyway).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    For my Thai jasmine rice, 75 g cooked = 1/2 cup cooked. The package says a standard serving is 1/4 C dry (45 grams) = 3/4 C cooked. (Note a serving size for me is 1/2 C rather than 3/4 C.)

You could do it in the recipe builder once and then use that result moving forward.

Dry rice is not something I normally weigh as it is dense and easy to level off, but I did for this question and was off by a half a gram, so close enough :)
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I simply use the cooked long grain entry and weigh my cooked portion.
  • pliler
    pliler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I weight mine and divide it by 1.8 to get the original dry weight and input that into MFP
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For my Thai jasmine rice, 75 g cooked = 1/2 cup cooked. The package says a standard serving is 1/4 C dry (45 grams) = 3/4 C cooked. (Note a serving size for me is 1/2 C rather than 3/4 C.)

You could do it in the recipe builder once and then use that result moving forward.

Dry rice is not something I normally weigh as it is dense and easy to level off, but I did for this question and was off by a half a gram, so close enough :)

Haha I weigh everything, even packaged things.
    Sometimes you just can't be that accurate (like when you are cooking for multiple people) and you've just got to let it go (the cold never bothered me anyway).

So I should put my health aside and forget about weighing? Not trying to be rude accuracy is key for me to lose weight.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

So I should put my health aside and forget about weighing? Not trying to be rude accuracy is key for me to lose weight.

I think you are over dramatizing the issue, your health will not be adversely affected if you are off slightly in your rice measurement. The easiest was I have found is to weight it dry, then cooked. Then simply remember that a half cup of cooked rice weighs 2.8oz.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options

Don't forget about weighing but be sure you don't think things have an accuracy that they don't have. Just keep in mind that using the cooked weight from the database won't be as accurate down to the gram because of the moisture difference even if you are weighing. All calorie counting is estimating but this will have a little more wiggle room due to the water weight.

If you want to weigh as accurately as possible after it's cooked, the only real way to do it is as described above by using the recipe builder and weighing the cooked batch every time to get the batch weight and then weighing off your portion.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Weigh each grain separately and add them all together by hand. Guarantee you will lose weight - cause you'll never have time to actually eat!!! >:)
  • elphie754
    edited January 2016
    Options

I think you are over dramatizing the issue, your health will not be adversely affected if you are off slightly in your rice measurement. The easiest was I have found is to weight it dry, then cooked. Then simply remember that a half cup of cooked rice weighs 2.8oz.

The mentally that it doesn't matter if a few calories over is part of the reasonnis kind of a "big dea" to me. Made up numbers a head Sure the rice may actually be 110 calories but I calculated at 90 calls, then decide that I don't need to be precise with corn, the actuall serving size is 75 and because of not bein accurate I calculated 60 cals. All the little discrepancies add up.

I try to stay as precise as possible so that if I don't lose one week, I can see where I went wrong (over ate, sodium etc). Also- minor miscalculations can added up. The only way for me to lose weight is being in a calorie deficit and weighing all my food to ensure I am not exceeding it.
    seska422 wrote: »

Don't forget about weighing but be sure you don't think things have an accuracy that they don't have. Just keep in mind that using the cooked weight from the database won't be as accurate down to the gram because of the moisture difference even if you are weighing. All calorie counting is estimating but this will have a little more wiggle room due to the water weight.

If you want to weigh as accurately as possible after it's cooked, the only real way to do it is as described above by using the recipe builder and weighing the cooked batch every time to get the batch weight and then weighing off your portion.

I know that it won't be accurate, but try for an accurate as possible.
    Weigh each grain separately and add them all together by hand. Guarantee you will lose weight - cause you'll never have time to actually eat!!! >:)

Hahahahaha! Thank you, I needed a laugh.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I aspire to great accuracy as well. Heck, I WEIGH my flippin glass of wine (yep, there's a verified entry for that lol). But, I do accuracy as best that is practical, not necessarily possible. But, I am also consistent in the way I measure. Consistency + practicality is my success.

Oh, and I use the verified cooked rice entry, using the weighted serving. Because I share that pot of rice with the family. I do the same for batch cooked chicken shared by the household for the week. I would pull out my hair if I had to figure out raw weights for such things, let alone recipe build or other nonsense for each single item of one meal.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    1+ for Disney.

• fatica357
    fatica357 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I cook a new type/ brand of rice, I make a four portion serving (usually a cup dry but I weigh out 4 times whatever number of grams the label says is a serving), cook it up, weigh the total cooked rice, divide by four and then write that number on the bag of rice. Weigh your empty rice cooking pot first or you'll have to transfer the cooked rice into an empty container.
  • elphie754
    Options
    fatica357 wrote: »
    When I cook a new type/ brand of rice, I make a four portion serving (usually a cup dry but I weigh out 4 times whatever number of grams the label says is a serving), cook it up, weigh the total cooked rice, divide by four and then write that number on the bag of rice. Weigh your empty rice cooking pot first or you'll have to transfer the cooked rice into an empty container.

Great idea. Will do this the next time I cook rice.
  • tasaiar1
    tasaiar1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I weigh it dry and usually had the amount of calories in the pack. Then after i cook it i estimate how much i ate
    Eg i usually cook 1 cup dry, a put around 1/4 or 1/3 on my plate and the rest is for hubby/child
  • elphie754
    Options
    On the same topic- which is "heavier", frozen or cooked food? The meal is completely frozen and you can't break it to one serving and weigh that so would have to weigh after cooking. Just not sure if the serving size weight is for frozen or cooked product.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I think my second question have have gotten lost/not answered because people saw the first one was already answered: