Yoga

Options
Okay someone just posted something about running and yoga and it got me thinking about people who do yoga, especially every day. Do you do a dvd or online video? Or a class? Or just by yourself? How long? I would ideally like to just have a routine I do by myself. Just curious about the yoga fanatics.

Replies

• aeplume
    aeplume Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Yoga Studio. It's by Gaiam and I love it. The classes are from 10- over 60 minutes and are sectioned by all types of things, if you'd like to focus on strength or flexibility, or if you'd like to start as a beginner or so forth. I've been using it for over a year on and off in between going to classes and it's wonderful. I wouldn't have had the courage to start classes without it.
  • Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I do a 60-90 minute class (meant to be 60 minutes but we often go over just to get in some good meditation time!) once a week and also follow YouTube videos by Yoga With Adrienne - she has some awesome videos and a great 30 days of yoga challenge which really gets you into it!
  • owen1826
    owen1826 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »
    I do a 60-90 minute class (meant to be 60 minutes but we often go over just to get in some good meditation time!) once a week and also follow YouTube videos by Yoga With Adrienne - she has some awesome videos and a great 30 days of yoga challenge which really gets you into it!

I do her videos sometimes, I really love her!
  • owen1826
    Options
    aeplume wrote: »
    I use an app called Yoga Studio. It's by Gaiam and I love it. The classes are from 10- over 60 minutes and are sectioned by all types of things, if you'd like to focus on strength or flexibility, or if you'd like to start as a beginner or so forth. I've been using it for over a year on and off in between going to classes and it's wonderful. I wouldn't have had the courage to start classes without it.

Hmmm I might just do that, but is it only on your phone and iPad? I think I would hate do something on such a small screen.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'm hardly a yoga fanatic, but when I do it I use Lesley Fightmaster on YouTube. I've been to a few hot yoga sessions and loved it, just not enough to pay regularly.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to start yoga, but there are no classes in my town. Is it possible to do it on your own with videos or do you need to go to a class as well?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    I also have a stupid question. Is yoga cardio or strength?
  • Anusha76
    Anusha76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Search for "priscilla's yoga stretches". This used to come on PBS and I used to follow her
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am a recent convert to 'yoga'. I use ROMWOD, which is a daily video that is focused towards folks who lift and do Crossfit. For me, it has improved my lifts and speeds up recovery time. It's not strictly yoga, but it's been pretty amazing for my exercise.

My wife has been doing yoga for longer than me, and really likes Yoga By Adrienne. She also goes to a local yoga studio twice a week.

I don't consider it strength or cardio, really. There are several varieties though. They might be more intense.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    MFP stores it under cardio if you look for it. It's kind of it's own thing. I just like it to augment the other stuff I do. I take a 90 minute Sunday class at my Y whenever I'm able and try to fit in another class during the week. For some reason I can't do yoga two days in a row. My knees bark at me if I do.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I usually take 1 Ashtanga yoga class/week for flexibility & imo I consider it to be an active rest day activity. Ashtanga yoga is considered to be a more dynamic intense active flow yoga wherein poses are not held static for any length of time. I've worn my heart rate monitor & on average burn 200 calories during the hour.
  • owen1826
    Options
    Does anyone just do it by themselves? Not a class and not following along a video?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    owen1826 wrote: »
    Does anyone just do it by themselves? Not a class and not following along a video?

Yes, I've been practicing for 20 years and developed my own flow 16 years ago when I traveled a lot for work and wanted to do yoga in my hotel room.

A lot of my warm ups come from Rodney Yee's AM PM Yoga for Beginners and I have also snuck some knee strengthening exercises in there. Then comes Sun and Moon Salutations, floor postures, cool down, Loving Kindness meditation, and Shavasana.

These days, I don't always do the complete flow - sometimes just the warm ups and knee exercises. I like to do those plus the standing poses before going to the gym. I intend to do the rest when I get back home, but it hasn't happened yet ;)

Right now my complete flow is 75 minutes. It was 120 minutes in 2003 when I was a full time yoga teacher and fitter, and did not have a full time desk job.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    MFP stores it under cardio if you look for it. It's kind of it's own thing. I just like it to augment the other stuff I do. I take a 90 minute Sunday class at my Y whenever I'm able and try to fit in another class during the week. For some reason I can't do yoga two days in a row. My knees bark at me if I do.

I have knee issues and have had to stop doing the squats in the Moon Salutation series, as well as kneeling poses.

obdfm1l07a5p.jpg
  • owen1826
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    owen1826 wrote: »

Yes, I've been practicing for 20 years and developed my own flow 16 years ago when I traveled a lot for work and wanted to do yoga in my hotel room.

A lot of my warm ups come from Rodney Yee's AM PM Yoga for Beginners and I have also snuck some knee strengthening exercises in there. Then comes Sun and Moon Salutations, floor postures, cool down, Loving Kindness meditation, and Shavasana.

These days, I don't always do the complete flow - sometimes just the warm ups and knee exercises. I like to do those plus the standing poses before going to the gym. I intend to do the rest when I get back home, but it hasn't happened yet ;)

Right now my complete flow is 75 minutes. It was 120 minutes in 2003 when I was a full time yoga teacher and fitter, and did not have a full time desk job.

Thanks! I was wondering how people just "do it" daily. I want it to be as natural as running.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use the site DoYogaWithMe.com and I love it more than I can express. I've also started doing 1-on-1 sessions with an instructor.