so I was wondring any advice on
tennis or tips on my workout
anything really to help my game oh and if you want to add me fell free to do so

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    practice practice practice.
    And watch good players, analyze what they do.
  • jess2308
    jess2308 Posts: 40
    Options
    i'm a full time tennis player? how old are you? i'm trying to go pro and i have to train 4-5 hours a day. plus its pretty expensive and super hard work
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    i'm a full time tennis player? how old are you? i'm trying to go pro and i have to train 4-5 hours a day. plus its pretty expensive and super hard work

I'm 21 I train ever time I get a chance which is usually is Monday I but I wheb I don't get to play I work out even harder
  • skeele
    skeele Posts: 72
    Options
    Good luck to both of you. I "love" tennis! ha ha.... Heres my tennis joke... What do you call a tennis match between 2 blind people? Answer: Eternal Love! Ha ha... I know... corny, but i love it. lol
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    You're gonna have to train HARD for pro... Speed, endurance, strength, dexterity, flexibility... What's your level of fitness at this point and have you had any experience in playing tennis before?
  • anubis609
    Options

I'm 21 I train ever time I get a chance which is usually is Monday I but I wheb I don't get to play I work out even harder

....So, what specifically are you asking for, if you train every chance you get and work out even harder on the days you don't get to play?
  • Amandamccl
    Options
    You're gonna have to train HARD for pro... Speed, endurance, strength, dexterity, flexibility... What's your level of fitness at this point and have you had any experience in playing tennis before?

I'm still practiceing I get better ever time I play but on different days I work on strength cardio and yoga
  • Amandamccl
    Options

I'm still practiceing I get better ever time I play but on different days I work on strength cardio and yoga and I jump rope
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I was a ranked tennis player in my younger years (#64 in New England, USTA Women), and let me tell you, it is a full time job. A FUN job, but its HARD work, dedication, determination, drive. Its 50% physical and 50% mental. If you really want it, dont give up. Start taking lessons from head pros at your tennis club. Start hitting with people who are better than you. Stand at the baseline and serve balls until you think your arm is gonna fall off. memorize what a "good" shot feels like and try to repeat it everytime. I miss it. I wish I never stopped playing. The good news is, its a sport you can play almost your whole life, and its easy to get into a club, lesson, ladder, tournament in most places. Thehardest part Ive found lately is reminding my HEAD that my BODY is not as physcially fit as I used to be....but it can be! Practice, practice, practice!
  • anubis609
    Options
    I was a ranked tennis player in my younger years (#64 in New England, USTA Women), and let me tell you, it is a full time job. A FUN job, but its HARD work, dedication, determination, drive. Its 50% physical and 50% mental. If you really want it, dont give up. Start taking lessons from head pros at your tennis club. Start hitting with people who are better than you. Stand at the baseline and serve balls until you think your arm is gonna fall off. memorize what a "good" shot feels like and try to repeat it everytime. I miss it. I wish I never stopped playing. The good news is, its a sport you can play almost your whole life, and its easy to get into a club, lesson, ladder, tournament in most places. Thehardest part Ive found lately is reminding my HEAD that my BODY is not as physcially fit as I used to be....but it can be! Practice, practice, practice!

This.

And off the court, I would recommend a lot of plyometric routines. You're gonna need a lot of lower body power for those baseline sprints.
  • Amandamccl
    Options
    oh and how many calories shold I eat a day
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options

That has very little to do with the sport you are playing, and everything to do with how tall you are/how much you weigh/how much you are working out/etc. :)
  • anubis609
    Options

Assuming that since you're on MFP, you should have had a caloric intake set for you per your weight loss/maintenance/gain goals. Whatever the daily net intake goal that was set for you should suffice. Any calories expended through exercise should be eaten back to maintain that net intake.

Check out http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com if you're confused about it.
  • jess2308
    jess2308 Posts: 40
    Options
    well i dont wanna ruin your ambitions but 21 is a little too late to start. i'm 16 and have played since i was 7. let me tell you, its extremely hard and takes years and years of hard work. but its great for a hobby you can play at any age!
  • Amandamccl
    Options
    your never to old to follow your dreams theirs a lot of tennis players that started late there is a
    Tennis Player Julie Ditty who
    Graduated University and then
    Became a professional at the age
    of 23 and she has just 50000$
    ITF Sea-Island ;)
  • thekevinhu
    thekevinhu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I picked up my first tennis racquet 3 years ago and initially logged 15-20 hours per week on the courts doing drills and playing social matches. Outside of tennis I was cycling, playing hockey and running regularly. The athleticism helped a lot, but I couldn't compete with upper level players that grew up playing the sport. At the time I started as a USTA 2.5 player and now at 3.5 the level of dedication/resources required to achieve anything beyond a 5.0 skill ranking seems monumental. But I'm 29 =)

All this to say, I believe that if you want it enough and can dedicate your life to becoming pro... it's absolutely possible. But it does appear to be a full time job and it will require top notch conditioning and skills training. Djokovic stated that during his recent 40+ winning streak that a huge part of that was his new conditioning and diet regimen. And of course, his confidence and skills only built on that. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing updates on your successes!