Any Tennis Players Here?

Options
From Britain or America? Or anywhere else for that matter!

I plan to play more and more often, which I hope will help me to reach my goal weight! :-)

Replies

• SerenaBeans08
    SerenaBeans08 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love tennis! It's a great activity to loose weight. At least for me, I'm bad at it. :)
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Tennis is the best sport ever!!!!! I know of people who have lost weight playing tennis but it doesn't seem to work out for me..... Probably because I'm the one making my husband run all over the court and he's just lobbing them back lol.. :) (hopefully he'll get better in time)
  • ItsAMyDolmioDay
    Options
    I suppose it depends on how long you play for - and whether you play singles or doubles.
    You should be ok if it's singles - just stay on court for longer!

Thanks for the replies. I'm new on here.
  • lynnmcfaul
    Options
    Yup...love tennis! Picked up a racket for the first time at 41(at the suggestion of my hubby who already loved the sport) , and 2yrs later I play 6 days a week...a bunch of my friends play now, we play in competitive leagues and for fun and I love it!! Love to watch the matches as well, we have good friends who do too, so we settle down after playing with a couple drinks in the hot tub and watch the tennis match...it rocks!!
  • thekevinhu
    thekevinhu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love tennis too! One my main motivations to lose weight right now is to increase my agility and stamina for more competitive match play. I haven't tried logging tennis on MFP, but on other calorie tracking products and logs, playing an hour or two of tennis (singles or doubles) always burned a large number of calories. But of course how you play is very important. I found that I burned more calories hitting against the wall when I was learning, rather than trying to sustain a rally (probably because we just stood in one place or picked up sporadic tennis balls the whole time).

I've had a lot of friends lose weight by playing tennis. The only thing I'll say though is as you become more competitive in the sport, it can be very rough on your joints depending on your conditioning and age. A lot of folks I know now only play doubles, regardless of skill level, due to the level impact and strain tennis puts on the body. But man it's so fun.