Weight Watchers while using MFP

Options
gooz71
gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a Weight Watchers member and have been really enjoying it and losing weight...until they switched to smartpoints. I am so disheartened with the whole change for 2016. My problem is I love my leader and my meetings/weigh-in.

I've been thinking about using MFP to track my calories (and forego points system) but still go to the meetings and weigh ins. Does anyone know of others who do this?

Replies

• kz_dc
    kz_dc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do this. I use MFP to track what I eat and watch my macros. I use WW for the community support and the weigh-ins. I don't tell anyone at WW I do this, as I think it would sound rude and divert most people from what they want to talk about (points). But it works for me.
  • sltpsu15
    sltpsu15 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who does this - but would it be worth the money for you to still go to the meeting if they are talking about a program you are no longer following? If so, then continue to go. If not...save your money. Maybe try it for a few weeks and see how it works.

I did WW years ago and loved it. I started again today and am not impressed. I see where they are going with SmartPoints - but think they missed the mark. Plus MFP's app and website in general are a million times better. I am going to give it another day and probably cancel and move to MFP.

Good luck no matter what you do!
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Yes I've been using both MPF (I've had for years) and joined WW last year to lose weight but have struggled keeping within the new points system now that it's changed, I don't like it. I will continue though because going to meetings and being kept accountable is an excellent motivator for me.
  • JDCW47
    JDCW47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I joined Weight Watchers for three months, beginning mid-October, and was just getting comfortable with their easy tracking system, when they changed. I cannot make heads or tails of the new system, and have given up trying to use it. They've tried to make it into an everybody-counsels-everybody social network, with emphasis on record keeping having been moved to the back burner, if it's still there at all. I will not re-join WW. Having found this site excites me, as it is as easy as the old online WW program.
  • trisha1298
    trisha1298 Posts: 51 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I used to do WW and did both points and MFP calorie tracking for a while. I was doing WW in fall 2014 when all fruits & veggies were 0 points (is that still true?). I did a lot of work to figure out the calories to WW point conversion, and I basically found that my daily WW points equalled about 1000 calories, so WW relied on me eating plenty of fruits and veggies to make up for that difference.

I started counting calories alongside WW when I plateau'd- I think largely because I was eating tons of fruits and vegetables, so I was probably eating like 1800-2000 calories a day. After losing 15 lbs, I was not losing any more on the WW points system alone. So then I started counting calories, and limited myself to 1400 calories, and started losing again. I had a lot of success with calorie counting, and stuck around at WW for a while, but eventually I was disillusioned from WW. I was mostly going for the community and accountability, but my WW community was much older than me, and at a certain point I couldn't relate to any of them (there was a key discussion in which the leader told us that a pound of fat weighs less than a pound of muscle. I tried explaining that a pound is a unit of weight, so by definition they're the same, but no one agreed, and that was it for me). I do miss having a weight loss/maintenance community, and I'm still looking for an alternative.

I completely understand being frustrated with the new SmartPoints program. My problem with that is that you have "calibrated" your expectations of what you can eat based on the PointsPlus, and that was a lot of work! I remember how much work that is! Now you pretty much have to redo all of that work. I understand that WW is trying to steer you towards certain nutrition, and I think that is worthwhile, but it is frustrating as a WW member. Note: I did WW in high school as well, and when I left WW (after I hit my goal weight) I did not have the "tools" I needed to be successful on my own because everything I knew about food was in terms of points. Eventually I forgot what each food was in points, so I stopped tracking foods. If I had learned to portion my foods based on calories, I might have had more success because calorie amounts are available everywhere.

So, my recommendation would be to track SmartPoints and calories for a few weeks and see what you think. Maybe go one week on SmartPoints, then the next on calories, and see which you prefer. If the community and accountability from WW benefits you, then it is probably good to continue going. Good luck!
  • gooz71
    Options
    trisha1298 wrote: »
    I used to do WW and did both points and MFP calorie tracking for a while. I was doing WW in fall 2014 when all fruits & veggies were 0 points (is that still true?). I did a lot of work to figure out the calories to WW point conversion, and I basically found that my daily WW points equalled about 1000 calories, so WW relied on me eating plenty of fruits and veggies to make up for that difference.

I started counting calories alongside WW when I plateau'd- I think largely because I was eating tons of fruits and vegetables, so I was probably eating like 1800-2000 calories a day. After losing 15 lbs, I was not losing any more on the WW points system alone. So then I started counting calories, and limited myself to 1400 calories, and started losing again. I had a lot of success with calorie counting, and stuck around at WW for a while, but eventually I was disillusioned from WW. I was mostly going for the community and accountability, but my WW community was much older than me, and at a certain point I couldn't relate to any of them (there was a key discussion in which the leader told us that a pound of fat weighs less than a pound of muscle. I tried explaining that a pound is a unit of weight, so by definition they're the same, but no one agreed, and that was it for me). I do miss having a weight loss/maintenance community, and I'm still looking for an alternative.

I completely understand being frustrated with the new SmartPoints program. My problem with that is that you have "calibrated" your expectations of what you can eat based on the PointsPlus, and that was a lot of work! I remember how much work that is! Now you pretty much have to redo all of that work. I understand that WW is trying to steer you towards certain nutrition, and I think that is worthwhile, but it is frustrating as a WW member. Note: I did WW in high school as well, and when I left WW (after I hit my goal weight) I did not have the "tools" I needed to be successful on my own because everything I knew about food was in terms of points. Eventually I forgot what each food was in points, so I stopped tracking foods. If I had learned to portion my foods based on calories, I might have had more success because calorie amounts are available everywhere.

So, my recommendation would be to track SmartPoints and calories for a few weeks and see what you think. Maybe go one week on SmartPoints, then the next on calories, and see which you prefer. If the community and accountability from WW benefits you, then it is probably good to continue going. Good luck!

• gooz71
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I'm just so disappointed that they changed it to smartpoints. I also totally understand what they are trying to do, but it is basically now a lower carb diet. If you have a birthday party to go to and have a piece of cake and ice cream your points are basically blown for the whole day. :s
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I understand the need for accountability, but for me just watching my numbers on MFP were enough to keep me accountable, but I don't understand why people go for the meals and what not. Your not going to buy WW meals forever so you aren't really training yourself how to eat in a post WW life. IMO weightloss is all about calories in calories out, it is incredibly simple, no need to complicate it with points or special foods. I lost 100lbs using MFP and I never had to give up cake, ice cream or nachos.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I understand the need for accountability, but for me just watching my numbers on MFP were enough to keep me accountable, but I don't understand why people go for the meals and what not. Your not going to buy WW meals forever so you aren't really training yourself how to eat in a post WW life. IMO weightloss is all about calories in calories out, it is incredibly simple, no need to complicate it with points or special foods. I lost 100lbs using MFP and I never had to give up cake, ice cream or nachos.

The point system is a basically a simplified version of calorie counting.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the flow here.

You've already been successful with WW. Give the new system a shot.

If it doesn't work or you hate it, try mfp.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking here but thinking of just attending meetings. I'm losing more weight per month on MFP , sticking to my plan better, and enjoying greater flexibility than on this new WW plan. I don't have time or desire to keep relearning new plans. You have to choose what's doable for you.
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    gooz71 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your input. I'm just so disappointed that they changed it to smartpoints. I also totally understand what they are trying to do, but it is basically now a lower carb diet. If you have a birthday party to go to and have a piece of cake and ice cream your points are basically blown for the whole day. :s

That's when you use your extra weekly points. You go the party, enjoy the cake and ice cream and know you haven't blown it because you have the extra bank of points to use. Then the next meal you get right back on track. That's what those extra weekly points are there for.
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I am a paying on-line member of WW and use MFP for the calorie count. I didn’t think I’d like the new Smart Points plan because I have a problem with some of the ‘new’ philosophy and the person it is coming from but decided WW worked before and has been working since the 1960’s and it hasn’t failed yet if the plan is worked properly. I do like the MFP site because I can get a real idea of what I’m taking in by looking at the caloric content of the foods. I new Smart Points system is more intense because the system changed but everything changes.

I don’t hide the fact that I use MFP and have several friends who use both – some are even WW employees.

Don’t look at the daily points as having been blown because you have a piece of cake & ice cream – gosh that is what the weekly points are for.

Please, give it a try – really give it a decent try and don’t write it off so quickly. Take advantage of the meetings and your wonderful leader & WI and counter that with MFP. Run both programs side by side – journal your foods and exercise/activity on both and I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • FrancineJM61
    FrancineJM61 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What ever works for you is the best way to go. I dislike this new program. I will give it a month. if I don't lose Ill go back to the old plan. The points on this ew program have gone up so much you are eating so much less. You have to depend on veggies. I don't like like there new spokes person.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Lifetime WW member here, 16 pounds under my set goal weight. Tried the new SP program only to find that it was putting me 450 calories below what I actually should be eating for my maintenance and activity level. That was with the 36 points per day that I was given and using at least 3-4 of the 28 weekly points that I was given. I'm using MFP again because I need to keep my calorie level up. I think the new WW program is ok, though, and people will definetly have success with it. I was earning at least 10 + FitPoints per day with my Fitbit. So if I do decide to track points again instead of calories I'll use them as well to make sure I'm getting close to the 2,000 calories that I need per day to maintain.
  • RetroPolkaDot
    Options
    I do both because I like to see both numbers so I track calories here. I count SmartPoints on paper.
    I, personally, like the new smart points. I don't find it overly low carb. I suppose it depends on what you like to eat. I still eat all my favorite things in moderation. One thing I don't do is waste points/calories on inferior food. Example: I could try to work in a low fat ice cream more often but you know I'd rather skip it and instead indulge in a premium ice cream less often. I know that I will have some disappointment in the low fat ice cream.
  • gooz71
    Options
    I do both because I like to see both numbers so I track calories here. I count SmartPoints on paper.
    I, personally, like the new smart points. I don't find it overly low carb. I suppose it depends on what you like to eat. I still eat all my favorite things in moderation. One thing I don't do is waste points/calories on inferior food. Example: I could try to work in a low fat ice cream more often but you know I'd rather skip it and instead indulge in a premium ice cream less often. I know that I will have some disappointment in the low fat ice cream.

They went low sugar/low fat/high protein. Low sugar=lower carbs usually. Anything with sugar or pasta in it has gone way up in points. It's just crazy. Might as well go Paleo. ;)
  • RetroPolkaDot
    Options
    I am aware of the changes. I still get in bread, pasta, rice/grains, and potatoes in proper portions.
    My doctor recommended that I limit added sugars in my average day to day diet so the new points really helps with that. In fact it gave me the kick I needed to make the changes.

Did you even give smartpoints a try or did you just decide that you were not going to do it no how, no way?
    why not give it a try for one week?
  • gooz71
    Options
    I am aware of the changes. I still get in bread, pasta, rice/grains, and potatoes in proper portions.
    My doctor recommended that I limit added sugars in my average day to day diet so the new points really helps with that. In fact it gave me the kick I needed to make the changes.

Did you even give smartpoints a try or did you just decide that you were not going to do it no how, no way?
    why not give it a try for one week?

I did give it a try but was running out of points so quickly it became very frustrating. I'm going to talk to my WW leader this week and get her thoughts. I really like her.
  • sandie25610
    sandie25610 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you!!! Thats the right plan. I never cared for WEight watchers myself. The only thing it did was introduce me to starvation.