Help! How to lose the most weight QUICK!

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Ugh.

1. Troll asks for advice they have no intention of following.
    2. Someone (most likely troll-friend or maybe even troll-in-costume) magically shows up and says "go buy this snake oil!".
    3. Troll ignores everyone else, apparently goes and buys said snake oil and then actually comes back to say they did so.

Now...how many of you looked up Almased after that? My guess is at least a few.

Sigh...this is what I get for tripping over the curb and wandering into the forums again.

+1 :)
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    170 at 5'7" isn't that much honestly- I'm 5'8" and I regularly sit around 165.

Granted my body comp is probably substantially different than yours- but still- it's not absurdly over weight. So step one.
    1.) calm down- the sky is not actually falling.
    2.) you already answered this- losing weight quickly isn't the answer- it didn't come on over night- it won't leave over night.
    3.) Have you been tracking?
    4.) If not- Start tracking
    5.) start implementing a small 250-350 calorie deficit- maintain that until you stop losing weight. When you stop losing- shave off another 250 calories (i.e. as you lose weight- the amount you need to eat will also go down- sucks i know- harsh reality)
    6.) this is a toughey- be patient.
    7.) lather rinse repeat.. and be consistent and stay on point.

Good luck.

Just quoting this again. Not because I think the OP will actually read it, but I hope that any new people who see this thread will take this advice seriously.
  • drywall_painter
    drywall_painter Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    How about , just go slow and hide out for awhile, a little hiatus.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I like clarity of thought, hair and fingernails too much to do some lo cal fad diet that teaches me nothing about how to eat.

Op lose slowly, .5-1lb a week counting calories.

@JoRocka, who gave you such great advice, carries a higher weight than one would expect looking at her because she incorporates a good progressive lifting programme and has quite a bit of muscle- not jiggly fat.

Talk to your son about a good progressive, compound lifting programme that you can incorporate while you lose slowly. This will give you a better result than losing fast and being flabby- it will help re shape your body.

PS. I know this is landing on deaf ears, but someone reading the thread may take reasonable advice to heart.

Cheers, h.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about taking up juggling?

giphy.gif

edit: OP - Don't do this. Instead, try a moderate calorie deficit over an extended period of time. It's way safer.

How many calories does juggling burn though? I have mine logged as 173737 cals burnt but my fitbit sometimes overestimates these types of things
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

giphy.gif

edit: OP - Don't do this. Instead, try a moderate calorie deficit over an extended period of time. It's way safer.

How many calories does juggling burn though? I have mine logged as 173737 cals burnt but my fitbit sometimes overestimates these types of things

Depends on how many items you are juggling.
    20056 per item I read.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options

PS. I know this is landing on deaf ears, but someone reading the thread may take reasonable advice to heart.

Cheers, h.

One can but hope :)
    I admire wholeheartedly the persistence of a couple of dozen users on here, including yourself, to explain over and over and give the same reasonable answers to the same unreasonable questions. I know it's done for the benefit of lurkers and not just the OP, and as a former lurking newbie (not long ago) I greatly appreciate it!

Sorry for the off-topic...
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

giphy.gif

Depends on how many items you are juggling.
    20056 per item I read.

Thanks so much! Hugs! Thought my estimates where a little high but 20056 sounds so much better ! I eat those calories back so try hard to be accurate !
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    I like clarity of thought, hair and fingernails too much to do some lo cal fad diet that teaches me nothing about how to eat.

@JoRocka, who gave you such great advice, carries a higher weight than one would expect looking at her because she incorporates a good progressive lifting programme and has quite a bit of muscle- not jiggly fat.

Talk to your son about a good progressive, compound lifting programme that you can incorporate while you lose slowly. This will give you a better result than losing fast and being flabby- it will help re shape your body.

Cheers, h.

All of this !
    Even though this specific op didn't want to listen to our advice - there are many lurkers who benefit from reading these types of threads.
    Yes it gets redundant answering the same questions day in/ day out but there really are many people who are too afraid or shy to create their own threads so lurk the forums seeking info. For these people its important that we continue to try to be active in this community .
    If every knowledgeable member gave up because the op didn't take any advice, then this forum would go downhill rather quickly.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yes it gets redundant answering the same questions day in/ day out but there really are many people who are too afraid or shy to create their own threads so lurk the forums seeking info. For these people its important that we continue to try to be active in this community .
    If every knowledgeable member gave up because the op didn't take any advice, then this forum would go downhill rather quickly.

Thank you for these words of encouragement. There have been several times today alone that I attempted to pass along the knowledge and support I received from the forums when I was a newbie, only to stop in my typing by the arduous task before me. I will gird my loin once again and join the battle to vanquish woo, psycho - babble diet speak and magical weight loss pills from the walls of MFP forum. Right after I have some ice cream - I still have calories left...

• middlehaitch
    Options
    @Calliope610 it was @thorsmom01 who said those particularly wise words.
    I would hazard to guess a number of us get that defeated feeling every now and again, especially at this time of year. All we can do is out best.
    I have not posted a number of typed replies too. Mind you a couple were getting a bit snarky through repetition.

Cheers, h.
  • ruthiemay14
    ruthiemay14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the sensible info. I keep losing & gaining the same 10-12 lbs.!!!
    I had stopped tracking & just restarted today. Thanks!
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @ruthiemay14 you are who we keep posting for when we thinkthe poster is no longer responsive. The lurker who drinks in the advice.
    Thanks for posting, h.
  • ruthiemay14
    ruthiemay14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also know it doesn't work to lose weight very fast. Years ago I joined a weight loss program & lost 62 lbs. in 5 months. I've gained it all back except 20 lb. over the years. :)
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I also know it doesn't work to lose weight very fast. Years ago I joined a weight loss program & lost 62 lbs. in 5 months. I've gained it all back except 20 lb. over the years. :)

I'm of the thought that it's worth it to take the long approach, not only to keep it sustainable but because you learn more about yourself along the way. When I first started losing weight, I just wanted it to come off ASAP like a lot of people. Now I can run a few miles at a time, I can lift quite a bit of weight, and I'm going to be teaching my own fitness class. If I had gone the quick and dirty route, I never would have made these accomplishments.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

Thank you for these words of encouragement. There have been several times today alone that I attempted to pass along the knowledge and support I received from the forums when I was a newbie, only to stop in my typing by the arduous task before me. I will gird my loin once again and join the battle to vanquish woo, psycho - babble diet speak and magical weight loss pills from the walls of MFP forum. Right after I have some ice cream - I still have calories left...

Thanks for continuing to fight the woo ! If we all give up, the newcomers and lurkers will surely be lead a stray! So even though it feels like its hopeless, there really are people out there who are learning from these threads !
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    @Calliope610 it was @thorsmom01 who said those particularly wise words.
    I would hazard to guess a number of us get that defeated feeling every now and again, especially at this time of year. All we can do is out best.
    I have not posted a number of typed replies too. Mind you a couple were getting a bit snarky through repetition.

Cheers, h.

And thank you @middlehaitch for also continuing to fight the woo. Countless lurkers and newcomers will remember what they have read on these forums so thank you !
  • bcarmalita
    bcarmalita Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    High protein and low carb works for me. I enter my calories and work out 4-5 times per week. When I am on track I can lose up to two pounds per week, but it's how good I feel that makes me do it more. Maybe put the scale away and just focus on how you are feeling? I know,easier said than done!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The thing is...you CAN...you just don't WANT TO. Get in your mind now that those are two different things and you'll be a lot better off.
    Sure, you can stumble off and lose weight as fast as you choose to, it's up to you. But bear in mind that 1.) It's unhealthy and you are most likely setting yourself up for yo-yo dieting. 2) You're not going to get much, if any, support on these boards for the kind of plan you're proposing.
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

I've been on MFP since July and have lurked the forums pretty much that entire time, only having made handful of posts myself. As someone who came into this knowing pretty much nothing about weight loss in July, I lurked quite a bit. I've since lost 20lbs in a sensible and healthy manner. Trust me when I say, you may not be getting through to the OP, but you are doing a world of good for lurkers, even if none come out and say it. Thank you.