Derailed by my period?

Options
Hey ladies, I need some advice. How do you stay on track during your period with the cravings and all? I have mine for an entire week so that's plenty of time to wreak havoc my diet. Any tips? If you can, share what you crave the most during that time of the month (if you have cravings) and what you do to manage them as well as snacking ideas.

Replies

• motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have cravings for salt and fat so instead of chips i eat olives with a bit of oil or have a meal of tuna with oil olives and red pepper flakes
    I like radishes with the tuna too for crunch
    Drink hot water flavoured with lemon peel and cinnamon just a little cinnamon too much is bad for your liver or sliced lemon and rosemary in hot water is nice too plus if you have cramps it helps
    Dont really crave chocolate if i take a daily multivitamin and a calcium and magnesium but if i really am craving something i just give in and have a little of what i crave life is too short to be stressed and deprive yourself
    Just log it and make sure its within your daily requirements
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    It's probably not the solution you want to hear, but I just tell myself that it's my period and warrants no additional thought to cravings. I have endometriosis, so my pain can have me down and out some days (literally passing out). My period is the only time I crave chocolate as well, which sometimes I give in, sometimes I don't.

If you are having an issue with cravings, try to spread out your meals evenly throughout the day or leave yourself room in your daily goal to indulge in what you're craving. Sometimes fitting in that treat in moderation is just enough to satisfy.

Another thing I do if I'm having a rough time with cravings is create portioned out snacks for myself that I keep in the cupboard. That way, if I find myself in the kitchen grabbing for something, I know exactly what I'm eating.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    My appetite goes up a few days before my period starts so I eat normal foods at maintenance calories for a few days. If I get enough sleep, exercise, and protein in relationship to carbs I don't get cravings.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Just tell yourself no, I don't need to snack.
  • risingstar89
    risingstar89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies! I appreciate the tips and will definitely be using them. I like the portioned out snacks and swapping out something else healthier that is salty or sweet.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I crave sweets and sleep the week before my period. To be honest, I just give in and make sure to have a lighter lunch/dinner/workout a little more.
  • triddering
    triddering Posts: 81 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I crave chocolate and sweets. My go to sweet snacks are red seedless grapes. If I crave salt, I have half a serving of almond nut thins crackers (hint of sea salt) with light laughing cow Swiss cheese. I try to stay within my calories anyway. If I am really craving sweet, I will eat an Enlightened Salted Caramel Ice Cream bar (80 cals and 7g protein) yet delish!

What I have the hardest time with is workouts because of the high pain. If I gain a bit, I give myself a break and get back to it as soon as possible.

On another note, I find myself researching health benefits of some foods if I am suddenly craving something I don't eat regularly. It helps me to stay on track if I am craving something bad, or learning to add to my diet something my body is missing, like when I craved adding pecans to my oatmeal!

Btw, thanks for posting this. I am curious about others too :smile:
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If I want a whole huge chocolate bar I'm going to eat it! Just have to make up a little the next week or when the cravings go away. Sometimes if I'm really over on calories for the day/week I make chocolate tea with some sugar and a dash of milk.
  • triddering
    Options
    If I want a whole huge chocolate bar I'm going to eat it! Just have to make up a little the next week or when the cravings go away. Sometimes if I'm really over on calories for the day/week I make chocolate tea with some sugar and a dash of milk.

What is chocolate tea?
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    triddering wrote: »

What is chocolate tea?

Chocolate flavored tea blend, like this one:http://steepster.com/teas/teavana/30595-cococaramel-sea-salt-herbal-tea
  • risingstar89
    risingstar89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

What is chocolate tea?

Chocolate flavored tea blend, like this one:http://steepster.com/teas/teavana/30595-cococaramel-sea-salt-herbal-tea

thanks I was going to ask!
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have some of what I want. I try not to have a lot, but if I do I move on.
  • triddering
    Options

What is chocolate tea?

Thanks! I will have to look for it. It sounds interesting!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I allow myself an extra 100-150 calories when it's my TOM.

OR if i was actively losing weight, I would just eat at maintenance.

I used to say "just suck it up, willpower woman!", but life is too short. If i am literally dizzy having full blown MUST. EAT. NOW. attack, I just eat.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I crave sweets and sleep the week before my period. To be honest, I just give in and make sure to have a lighter lunch/dinner/workout a little more.

This is also pretty much what I do. The week before makes my cravings go crazy for sweets so during the day for breakfast, lunch and supper I stick to light and super healthy to let myself give in a little in the evenings for the chocolate, icecream and candy I crave. It's not the healthiest plan, but it works and keeps me from binging from denying myself till its too late.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I only really get cravings 3 days or so before shark week actually hits. This time I will just try to have some chocolate chia pudding on hand, it's sweet enough and hopefully I will do much better this year in general with controlling the monthly cravings.