Snacking in the evening

Options
2»

Replies

• liamhanagan
    liamhanagan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    try some sage natural yoghurt found in tesco sainsburys etc and add some berries for a sweeter hit. low fat. high protein so should help with making you feel fuller.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I was having this same problem a lot but then what I did was started reserving most of my daily cals for my LAST meal. So, I get totally full..stuffed! Like tonight..i'm gonna have 4 6oz servings of chicken Parmesan.. then I am going to have a 90 cal of yogurt for my sweet tooth. Maybe try that? It goes against the tradition 5-6 meals a day module but hey 6 small meals a day wasn't filling me up..so I went went 4 and I keep the first 3 low and pig out on my last!

The same idea works for me. I weaned myself off breakfast so I could save those calories for later. I have a 350-400 calorie lunch. Then I have all the rest of my calories for an amazing, large, satisfying dinner and dessert. Drinking a lot of water and iced tea and chewing gum helps me between meals.
  • Danni1289
    Danni1289 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions really appreciate them
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You may be doing this.. but I just save most of my calories for the evening where I can snack and stay in my macros and calories. I have always had the hardest time not eating more in the evenings..
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of popcorn as well for an evening snack. I usually do low butter or low calorie popcorn.

Greek yogurt with frozen fruit is really good too, and it reminds me a little bit of ice cream. :)

I think everyone's suggestions are great, and I may try some of these as well.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Remember to douse the fire first, chug a glass of water before you let yourself have a snack. Make it a ritual.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    It may sound strange, but I like homemade veggie soup as a late-evening snack. I almost always have some on hand, and for the same 100 calories I might get from a container of yogurt or a bag of popcorn, I get a HUGE bowl of veggies and water--which are both good for me-- and it's very bulky and satisfying

This is such an excellent idea.

I would also ask whether you are really hungry or just have the munchies..
  • speeno
    speeno Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate most evenings, but I only have 25g and make it fit my macros :) a little of what you fancy does you good.
  • ediewharton
    ediewharton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I always try to make sure I can have two snacks per day. Some favorites: mini caramel rice cakes, 100 calorie cashew pack, multi grain crackers with peanut butter, light popcorn, and banana.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Protein fluff. Make or create any flavor you desire with add ins.

I know you said sweet, but popcorn is great calorie to volume wise. I pop mine in a brown paper bag in the microwave without oil. I just weigh out how ever many calories I have for the day. Tonight I'm having 120g and that is really a crap ton.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I know you said sweet, but popcorn is great calorie to volume wise. I pop mine in a brown paper bag in the microwave without oil. I just weigh out how ever many calories I have for the day. Tonight I'm having 120g and that is really a crap ton.

Trutein makes a good chocolate protein pudding, which is my almost every night snack. 170 calories and 28g protein. The serving size is big enough to be satisfying and it's quick/easy to make.
  • arditarose
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Trutein makes a good chocolate protein pudding, which is my almost every night snack. 170 calories and 28g protein. The serving size is big enough to be satisfying and it's quick/easy to make.

Ohhh it's a mix. How is the volume? I mean, protein fluff volume is insane but a pudding sounds like a nice change. Unfortunately I still have to eat fluff while bulking :( stupid hunger and low TDEE.
  • AnvilHead
    edited January 2016
    Options

Ohhh it's a mix. How is the volume? I mean, protein fluff volume is insane but a pudding sounds like a nice change. Unfortunately I still have to eat fluff while bulking :( stupid hunger and low TDEE.

I mix it with 4 ounces of nonfat milk, stir it up good and refrigerate it for about 20 minutes - it's so thick that the consistency is almost like cake frosting. Much more dense than fluffy.
  • arditarose
    Options

I mix it with 4 ounces of nonfat milk, stir it up good and refrigerate it for about 20 minutes - it's so thick that the consistency is almost like cake frosting. Much more dense than fluffy.

Awesome, and that's the calorie count including the milk, yeah? I want to try
  • AnvilHead
    edited January 2016
    Options

No, that's the calorie count without the milk. Sorry, should have specified that. You can mix it with water if you don't want the extra cals of the milk, but it doesn't come out as thick or creamy. Still not bad, but not as good as with milk. Their protein is a mix of whey, casein and egg, so it already has a milk-based protein in it, which helps with the thickness.
  • arditarose
    Options

No, that's the calorie count without the milk. Sorry, should have specified that. You can mix it with water if you don't want the extra cals of the milk, but it doesn't come out as thick or creamy. Still not bad, but not as good as with milk. Their protein is a mix of whey, casein and egg, so it already has a milk-based protein in it, which helps with the thickness.

buzzkill!
  • Danni1289
    Options
    All brilliant ideas thanks I've got a lot of things to try now :)
  • tracie999
    tracie999 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Danni, i used to like a weetos bar, about 90 cals it has a tiny bit of chocolate on the base, always took the craving away. It's something i always look to buy when i'm home in the uk on leave.
  • jessicaldelaney
    jessicaldelaney Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Having 4 kids in the house I totally understand where you are coming from!
    I have just begun my healthy eating regime this week. (On day 3) I have done it many times in the past with good results but I always end up justify to myself "eating just a little bit of junk won't hurt". Well that never works because I LOVE junk! Especially in the evenings like u! And I get hooked as soon as I start up my bad habits.
    Unfortunately will power is the key!
    Because I can't make everybody else follow my diet I have to be creative on how to restrict myself from grabbing sweets from the cupboard. So I've started buying tubs of cookie dough and only baking what I need for the kids and hubby's lunch. That way I don't have baked goods staring me in the face all day long while I'm home.
    Chocolate is my weakness so I'm going to try baking blk bean/date brownies. Sounds not good at all lol but reviews online say otherwise..... I will soon find out!
    Good luck!
  • Danni1289
    Options
    Chocolates definitely my weakness to, Ive got some chocolate chip brunch bars so I'm going to try them if I really want my chocolate fix. Otherwise I may try Cadbury low fat hot chocolate. I'm trying some chopped up fruit tonight though to see if that works.