Dry Cough After Running

Options
Dry Cough After Running :/ is it just down to the cold air and maybe improper breathing (I do sadly breath though and out with the mouth.. At slower pace I can go though the nose out though mouth etc but once I'm sweating everything goes out the window... Lol

But yes back to the question why do I get a cough after I run and how can I present it

Many thanks

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting checked for exercise-induced asthma?
  • jonsek
    jonsek Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Exercise induced cough can be a common sign of asthma. Is there any family history of asthma, eczema, hayfever, food intolerances in yourself or your immediate family? Do you cough in the early morning or night at all? Are you prone to getting coughs with viruses or ever feel wheezy?
    It may be nothing but I'd chat with your Dr.
    A simple lung function test can diagnose asthma.
  • 1989lukemyers
    1989lukemyers Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Firstly thanks for the fast replies and oh dear that don't sound good... Erm has I am aware only one of my cousins has asthma but as for me rarely ill never have problem with hay-fever or have any food intolerances :/ and only cough after I run... I weight train four times a week never cough after that only when I run but I guess a test can't hurt
  • duncanatorz
    duncanatorz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's super mild asthma. Getting fitter will improve it but an inhaler will 'fix' it.
  • soniaf
    soniaf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ditto to all of the above!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Beat me to it!!

I only get exercise induced asthma after:
    - Extreme exercise (max HR test for example, I'm fine up to about 95%)
    - Hard exercise in cold weather
    - Particularly long cycle rides (100+ miles).

Goes within a few days.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If it turns out to be asthma and it only manifests after hard cardio, it's probably very mild and can be solved easily. If it turns out not to be, try to minimize the impact of cold air. Breathing through the nose when you are running fast is not always practical. Most people breathe through both. Drinking water may help if you are getting irritated by the cold dry air if running outside. If you are running on a treadmill, a warmer room and a humidifier may help.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Beat me to it!!

I only get exercise induced asthma after:
    - Extreme exercise (max HR test for example, I'm fine up to about 95%)
    - Hard exercise in cold weather
    - Particularly long cycle rides (100+ miles).

Goes within a few days.

Ah.

We used to do the PARE test, a physical test meant to be all out physical effort. We called it the PARE hack. Everyone would be coughing after it.

I still get it in these scenarios. I didn't realize it was exercise induced asthma.
  • drew87d
    drew87d Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I started wearing a scarf over my mouth and nose to stop breathing in the cold air. It works fine for slower paced but if you are pushing yourself hard I wouldnt suggest it.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    just learned I may have exercise induced asthma :o ..I have the same problem, I don't have any other irritants, just after a good session of hiit, the first thing I do is cough and feel like dying, but then it goes away...
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Probably from the cold air, if you just got a sudden cold spell like the rest of the US did. Get a neck warmer/gaiter/bandana to wear over the lower half of your face to breathe through. I have one from Tough Headwear I bought on Amazon that I wear mostly around my neck, only breathing through it when running into the wind or when it's bitterly cold. It's totally eliminated the dry cough I used to get every winter post-run.