A couple questions

Options
So, I lost about 6 pounds over the holidays, and I don't understand how that's possible. I definitely did not watch what I ate lol I have a few guesses as to how this happened: I have started drinking much more water, I have started drinking hot lemon water first thing in the morning, and I had been walking/running on a treadmill, but stopped 3 weeks ago cause my knees were killing me. My questions: 1) anyone have a guess how I lost the weight? Cause I'd like to keep doing it 2)anyone have an alternative to the treadmill that won't make me feel like I got hit in the knees with a baseball bat? 3) how quickly after beginning to work out(walk/run) is it reasonable to expect to lose weight? Any advise would be great, I'm clearly new here lol

Replies

• JaneyB311
    JaneyB311 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also lost 6lb over the holidays and I figured out that it was becuase I was actually eating less meals. So I would sleep in and then do some exercise, then get round to having brunch and then just have dinner later, so I was cutting my 2 meals down to 3 and therefore saving calories. I also think it was because I am usually sedentary in my job so was therefore actually more active day-to-day being off work.

Regarding your knees, I would suggest swimming instead of the treadmill, as most other cardio involves impact through the knees, whereas swimming in very joint friendly. I would avoid the treadmill for a week or two, then try just a walk, then a power walk to see if rest has helped. Running when your body is not used to it often causes injury so just take things slowly (I know it's hard when you are keen!).

And good luck with your weight loss journey :smile:
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You can look up low impact workouts on YouTube, Jessica Smith (i think that's her name?) has great ones. I used hers when i tore my acl and lcl in October of 2014 and was out of commission for MONTHS. fitnessblender is good, too. Walking outside wasn't as bad for me as treadmill, but i had to walk really slowly....lol
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    shay77223 wrote: »
    My questions: 1) anyone have a guess how I lost the weight? Cause I'd like to keep doing it 2)anyone have an alternative to the treadmill that won't make me feel like I got hit in the knees with a baseball bat? 3) how quickly after beginning to work out(walk/run) is it reasonable to expect to lose weight? Any advise would be great, I'm clearly new here lol

1) You took in fewer calories than you spent, how exactly this deficit happened is impossible to say without more detail 2) Have you tried swimming, cycling, or an elliptical? modifying your walking/running form? are you wearing suitable running shoes? 3) Depends on whether you are creating a calorie deficit, if you aren't, then the answer is never.
    If you haven't already, check out the stickies at the top of the different forums, particularly the 'getting started' and 'sexy pants' threads, chock full of good advice.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    What I gathered from another similar thread is, you probably ate less overall during the holidays when you lost that weight. Maybe you ate holiday foods that were more satiating and then ate less of your normal food/snacks.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    shay77223 wrote: »
    So, I lost about 6 pounds over the holidays, and I don't understand how that's possible. I definitely did not watch what I ate lol I have a few guesses as to how this happened: I have started drinking much more water, I have started drinking hot lemon water first thing in the morning, and I had been walking/running on a treadmill, but stopped 3 weeks ago cause my knees were killing me. My questions: 1) anyone have a guess how I lost the weight? Cause I'd like to keep doing it 2)anyone have an alternative to the treadmill that won't make me feel like I got hit in the knees with a baseball bat? 3) how quickly after beginning to work out(walk/run) is it reasonable to expect to lose weight? Any advise would be great, I'm clearly new here lol

1) If your knees were killing you, it's possible there was some inflammation and associated water retention that went away when you stopped walking/running.

2) swimming and possibly other non-weight-bearing exercise, such as cycling

3) Working out is no guarantee of weight loss. There's no way for anyone to guess whether you would be in an energy deficit just from working out. Use MFP or another calculator to estimate your daily calorie needs; set a goal that puts you at a deficit; and track your calorie intake by weighing your food.
  • noranelfazary
    noranelfazary Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    More water, hot lemons and exercise
    All of these help u boost your metabolism
    you burn well what you eat maybe that also help reducing your appetite .
    About your knee pain , you have to exercise regularly , use low impact cardiac workouts first -step by step . I think you just begin very hard
  • shay77223
    shay77223 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responses everyone:) I probably did try to do too much too fast. Sad that only doing two miles in a half hour is too much but ok! I did get new running shoes, so maybe I will start the treadmill again at just a walk, not push myself for speed. Elliptical sounds good too. I suppose I did eat fewer meals, skipping breakfast so I had room to gorge myself on goodies later and that kind of thing. But I'm back to meal prepping and logging now, I know I can't keep skipping meals so I'll have to accept slower weight loss I suppose:(