Do you count your fruit and veg?

Options
I always have...and resented every calorie I have logged... its like being penalised for eating well!! (a little over dramatic I know)

just wondering does everyone else log each and ever grape, apple, carrot, celery, tomato?

Replies

• drbxgold
    drbxgold Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    With fruit yeah, sometimes... veg not so much because it is usually less calorically dense. Most bowls of fruit will clock in at around 150+ kcals and 20 carbs, whereas veg is usually 1/4 of that.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yep. Every grape, every tomato, every piece of lettuce. Those calories still count. For example, the salad packed today for lunch is about 130 calories of fresh veg- and 40 cal of dressing. If i just logged the dressing, I'd miss the majority of the calories.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    YES. All calories matter. You may find yourself at that infamous "plateau" eventually if you don't long your healthy foods. Haha. It felt that way to me too, at first, but fruits and veggies are nutrient dense, so you're not truly being penalized. You're rewarding yourself with calories that have essential nutrients rather than something with just as many calories that is not filling/healthy at all.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I always have...and resented every calorie I have logged... its like being penalised for eating well!! (a little over dramatic I know)

just wondering does everyone else log each and ever grape, apple, carrot, celery, tomato?

Yup. If it goes in the mouth, it gets counted.
  • Gleaf2
    Gleaf2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have only just started on here from Weight Watchers where we didn't count fruit and most veg other than potatoes. I think what I will do is track my fruit and veg for a week or two to arrive at an average daily figure and then just put that put that in every day as a quick ad item. .Probably just track to check now and then if I am not losing weight as I think I should.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes. I can easily get 300-500 Calories in fruits and vegetables (I had about 400 Calories in fruit/vegetables yesterday). My deficit is about 250-300 Calories, so not logging my fruits/vegetables would cause me to be in a 150(ish) Calorie surplus (and would cause about a 15-pound weight gain in a year).
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I count it all, although I confess that when I weigh the brocolli and cauliflower that if it's in the ball park of what I estimated when prelogging, I'll leave it as that. My morning breakfast banana however is weighed accurately.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Always. Especially when I don't want to. It all counts.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've been surprised at the calories in vegetables. It adds up if you actually get your recommended servings.
  • NatalieThomas90
    NatalieThomas90 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, the motivation and kick up the *kitten* I needed to keep logging accurately.

blasted apples. :p
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I think this is so dramatic.

Penalized for eating well?

Your body logs the calories you eat regardless of whether or not you log it in your diary. Whats even the point of logging your food if you aren't going to get an idea of how much you're eating?

Don't even get me started on the fact that people prepare veggies and fruits by adding calories (oils, butters, sugars, and cheese!) and think they are being "healthy".

At the end of the day, you don't get brownie points for not eating junk and opting for a fruit. It comes down to total calories, and refusing to log it because "it's healthy though!" is just plain silly. It's setting yourself up for failure.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes. all foods counted
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes. With at least 1/3 of my calories (as much as 3/4 sometimes) coming from veggies and fruits I can't not count, but I'm more lenient with weighing them. If a tomato is 153 grams I log at 150 for example, same if it's 147.
  • NatalieThomas90
    NatalieThomas90 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I think this is so dramatic.

Penalized for eating well?

Your body logs the calories you eat regardless of whether or not you log it in your diary. Whats even the point of logging your food if you aren't going to get an idea of how much you're eating?

Don't even get me started on the fact that people prepare veggies and fruits by adding calories (oils, butters, sugars, and cheese!) and think they are being "healthy".

At the end of the day, you don't get brownie points for not eating junk and opting for a fruit. It comes down to total calories, and refusing to log it because "it's healthy though!" is just plain silly. It's setting yourself up for failure.

hence "(a little over dramatic I know)"

chill lovely...your not fighting my battle...I am

smile and take a deep breath :wink:
  • Andrea222
    Andrea222 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't count veggies. When I do, they don't add up to much. Other than starchy vegetables like peas, corn, or potatoes. But i do count fruit because I'm watching my carbs, and it's easy to get in a lot of carbs if you eat a lot of fruit.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Penalized for eating delicious food that fills you up? Interesting. Yes, I could fruit and veg as I consume hundreds of calories worth per day. A banana has as many calories as 2-3 oreos.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Maybe a change in perspective may help by separating the two concepts in your mind. You could lose, maintain or gain weight while eating well. It has nothing to do with weight loss. Think of eating them as browny points for health and logging them as brownie points for weight loss.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I count everything. I eat hundreds of calories of vegies and fruit every day - i dont see it as a penalty for eating well, as I know how much less food volume I would have with other more calorie dense options.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Everything that I eat and drink. It all has calories (except water), and they add up.
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options

ha, I feel your pain! lol, but I do log my fruit and potatoes etc religiously, and ball park my veg ie broccoli and salad leaves x